“"Confidence Restored"” 4 of 5 bubbles

Marmadukes Town House Hotel
Ranked #12 of 46 Hotels in York
“"Confidence Restored"”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 28, 2013

We have stayed at Marmadukes on 4/5 occasions now (cannot remember exactly) and must say we consider staying somewhere else but we thought we would take advantage of there great offer of 4 poster room free drink and lunch at Guy Fawkes Hotel for £99.

We stayed there last year and the place was starting to look a little tired and the breakfast did not seem to be quite as good... However our Confidence has now been restored there has been decoration works carried out and on this occasion the breakfast was outstanding!!

It is just a short stroll into York (5 mins) so it is well placed and there is carparking which is a bonus in York.

I would have definitely given it 5 in the ratings but there is a little room for improvement only very small things but these are the things that make a place more special.

Well done Marmadukes!!

Room Tip: The room we stayed in this time was 501 a large room although it does not have a shower if you are a...
1 Thank Crosslak
Marmadukes H, General Manager at Marmadukes Town House Hotel, responded to this review, March 30, 2013
Thank you so much for your great feedback. We are always delighted when guests return to us time and again. Thank you for noticing the improvements we have made to restore the hotel. These are ongoing so hopefully you will be even more delighted on your next visit

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (314)
London
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 28, 2013 via mobile

I heard great things about Marmadukes Hotel in York and thought I would splurge 150 pounds for a night stay. The location was good, close to the shops and restaurants. However, the room was a disappointment. The bed consisted of a double mattress on a king size bed frame and a TV that didn't work. The bed was extremely uncomfortable and squeaky. All in all the service was fine but the room wasn't worth the rate.

• Stayed March 2013
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. I am sorry that you were left feeling disappointed with the room. The comfort of our beds gets regular, very positive feedback but as I am sure you will appreciate all people have different ideas of mattress comforts and we are unable to accommodate all.
Regarding the problems you had with your television I am a little bemused. All our televisions are in full working order and have been for some weeks. I realise that as some tellies work from a digi box they can be a little confusing but staff are always available to help with any problems. I hope this hasnt put you off staying in the future
Stockton-on-Tees, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 26, 2013

My partner and I visited Marmadukes in March 2013. Unknown to my partner, I proposed at the hotel, and we enjoyed a fantastic romantic stay. We spent an evening in the loft suite, which has a fantastic layout, nice furniture, sauna and big bath that we loved. The bed was comfortable, as was the lounge area.

The reception lady, was very helpful, they allowed us to leave our bags a few hours before we were able to check in, and a few hours after we checked out, while we spent time in the City.

Our breakfast to our room was 15 minutes late, no problem to us, but we were given the room service for free because of the delay.

Just a couple of very small things that could be improved, there were some left over tea lights, that we would have lit if there were more, and we had means to light them, bubble bath amongst the complementary toiletries, and an iron.

However, we WILL return to the loft suite soon, to relive and enjoy a great relaxing stay.

Many thanks.

Room Tip: The loft Suite
2 Thank David T
Wow congratulations!! I am delighted for you both and thrilled that Marmadukes was able to provide the setting for such a romantic occasion.
Thank you for leaving us such wonderful feedback. I have noted the points you made regarding the little touches. Had you required one we do have irons available from reception that can be brought to the room for you.
We look forward to your return visit and bear in mind we are an excellent venue for your wedding :)
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 23, 2013

Really enjoyed my recent stay at Marmadukes.
We were offered a free upgrade on arrival - always a bonus and a great start to our stay.
The hotel is lovely and the location is ideal, it is only a short walk from the city centre where there are plenty of pubs and restaurants to choose from.
There is a £5 parking charge to use the onsite parking, however this still is considerably cheaper than the public car parks.
The staff are friendly and seem genuinely happy to help.
All in all very good and would recommend.

Room Tip: You can request either a room with a bath or shower but must let the hotel know in advance.
1 Thank Kat596
Marmadukes H, General Manager at Marmadukes Town House Hotel, responded to this review, March 25, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to leave such great feedback. Wev arwe pleased you had a lovely stay and are always delighted when guests recommend us to others
I hope we can welcome you again in the future
Swindon, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 19, 2013

The hotel is located in a pleasant, leafy road off the A19 and about 10 minutes stroll to the city centre. Lovely period features in the rooms and guest lounges. Very helpful staff. We were able to park at the hotel for free as it was a Sunday. Though £5 a day for rest of the week, I think. Had supper at their sister hotel (Lion & Lamb Inn) - very enjoyable. Breakfast at Marmaduke's was first class - really good full English - bacon and sausages particularly tasty! Would definitely stay again.

1 Thank VicS12345
Marmadukes H, General Manager at Marmadukes Town House Hotel, responded to this review, March 22, 2013
Thank you for such a lovely review. We are so glad you enjoyed your stay with us and alos took the time to sample the delights of our sister property the Lamb and Lion.
Your comments regarding breakfast have been passed to the chef and our butcher was thrilled with your comments on his products.
I hope we get the pleasure of welcoming you back in the future
Clitheroe, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 19, 2013

Stayed at Marmadukes in York for a one night visit on 15th March 2013. As this was a birthday visit, we booked the loft suite rather than a four poster which we usually opt for. If you are looking for something a little special, I can highly recommend this room with beautiful spacious accomodation, fab sauna and double ended bath plus double shower. The separate lounge area made it feel like home from home and we will definately stay in this room again. Marmadukes is within walking distance from the centre with everything on the doorstep making for an ideal base to explore York. Breakfast was lovely as usual. Our only complaint, as always, was not being able to stay longer!

Room Tip: Loft suite has that little extra for a special occassion.
1 Thank Emma164
Thank you so much for your lovely feedback. We are always thrilled when guests return to us time and again and we are delighted that you chose to celebrate a special occasion with us.
I look forward to welcoming you back for the next big event
Kolkata (Calcutta), India
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 18, 2013

I stayed here with my boyfriend and my friend and his girlfriend to celebrate a 30th birthday. When we arrived all the parking spaces had gone and I had to park at Marygate which was a 13 minute walk away. I had to pay for parking for Friday (£5) and Saturday (£5). There was no mention made of this on their website which I find completely unprofessional and dishonest.
As I was being checked in two spaces became available but I was told we couldn't use them because they were occupied on a first come first served basis. We could have been at the hotel much, much earlier if we had been told this.
I wanted to pay in cash but the girl behind the counter (who needs some customer service training pronto) did not have change in the till. This was the case for the bar- not a penny change and they wanted me to pay on my card when I checked out. At these prices, I'll pay by whichever method suits me, not you thank you very much.
The bed frames in both rooms 512 and 504 were appalling. They were so creaky and noisy that my boyfriend woke me up whenever he turned over. In the room I bought for my friend, his girlfriend said it felt as though the bed had been shaken apart and could collapse at any minute. Very poor indeed!
To make things worse rooms 512 and 513 did not have any hot water and so my friends could not get freshened up before dinner. This is not good when you've been at work and driven to a hotel and you're going out for a celebratory meal. The boiler was boosted but my friends had no hot water until the Saturday morning. The apology took a long time to come and came after all the explanations. Staff did not offer them an alternative location for a shower.
On the Saturday morning the breakfast was good quality and well cooked. The lady serving was also much better and a great deal more friendly.
I mentioned the issue with the hot water again when we were checking out. This time it was the Manager who took an age to give an apology after another long-winded explanation.
To sum up, the customer service and facilities here are inconsistent and overpriced. My two stars are for the breakfast and the proximity to the centre. Another pet hate of mine is that they don't have wall-mounted showers, just hand held attachments to the taps. This means you have to get in the bath to wash. This could well be a problem for those with reduced mobility and could potentially lead to accidents. It is an issue that management should address as a matter of priority.

• 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for your feedback. I am sorry that you were so disappointed with your stay. I will adress as many issues with you as I can. Regarding the parking, I have looked to see which site your booking originated from and can confirm that Booking.Com does state on its website that due to limited spaces parking is pre bookable and chargeable on arrival. Our own website makes reference to this during the booking process. The spaces that appeared to be coming available would actually have been reserved for an arrival who had prebooked hence those not being available for yourselves.
I appreciate that some of our beds are a little creaky but due to their age and originality in some case this is unavoidable and some peolpe find it adds to the charm of the autenticity of our antique furnitures.
I apologise again for the lack of hot water on your first night and I apoolgise that you thought my explanation longwinded. We remedied the problem as soon as we were able and I believe in giving guests a full explanation of facts rather than fob you off with an excuse.
Regarding the issue you raised with the mixer taps rather than wall fitted showers, all our rooms have different bathroom facilities.These are advertised on all booking sites. Some have baths, some have showers and some with both. Guests with mobility restrictions or preferences are encouraged to raise these at the time of booking. If this is not done at the time we will then endeavour to move people on their arrival should rooms be available..