“Good place to stay for a short visit”

Marmadukes Town House Hotel
Ranked #13 of 47 Hotels in York
Reviewed April 29, 2012

We stayed in York for 2 nights at Marmadukes and both enjoyed our stay. The location is ideal, slightly out of the bustling city centre, but only 15 minutes walk away (at most). Breakfast was pleasant, if not spectacular, with various cooked options and a European style buffet of cereals, fruits and pastries. The room was adequately sized (we were in the double at £95 per night), equipped with bath (with built in shower), television, DVD player, kettle and usual furnishings. Tea, hot chocolate, still and sparkling water, shampoo, conditioner and shower gel were all supplied. The bed was very soft and comfortable too.

The hotel itself was well-kept, tidy and peaceful. All the staff were friendly and helpful, providing a map and information about York when required. The hotel also looked after our bags after checking out so we could explore York on our last day without our cases which was much appreciated.

Overall - a bit pricey perhaps, but a safe choice to have an enjoyable stay.

Reviewed April 19, 2012

We stay in York every year around our wedding anniversary and after researching different hotels to stay in we decided on Marmadukes. Initially emailed them with queries on parking and luggage, we received no reply so the day before called them directly. We arrived before check in and was able to leave our car and luggage before checking in, although this was midweek so I presume more spaces available. We were given room 515 good size and large bathroom although not great, the tv worked intermittently and was far too small for the room and exposed all the wires, some of the plug points next to the dressing table didn't work, the bed runner had a stain on it, there was no room service menu in the room although the hotel welcome book asked us to refer to it for prices?! The bed was only a double( maybe just me but I would of expected a king for a deluxe room) the mattress was very soft and although comfy was like sleeping on jelly, on the plus side though it was beautifully decorated, tea, coffee etc was very well stocked and wine glasses were supplied in the room which Is a great touch, the toiletries supplied were of a great standard also. My main problem was noise, you can have the most beautiful room in the world but If you don't sleep it's pointless, there was a constant hum from the air conditioner in the conservatory below but the worst was the noise from above, you could actually hear the conversations through the ceiling and it felt as someone was purposely stomping across the floor continually which I'm sure wasn't the case but it was so loud, around 6.30am in the morning it began again but with loud bangs as I think someone was dropping things on the floor, I know this isn't the problem of the hotel but you'd think in a big solid house that the wall, floors would be solid also! It honestly ruined our stay as we were desperate for a lie in, I really think as the room shouldnt be hired out as the noise issues far outweigh the
positive points. If you do stay please request top floor!

• Stayed: April 2012
2  Thank joetash13
Reviewed April 17, 2012

My return trip to Marmadukes and my wifes first visit, but we will be back... we had 505 a Four poster room, delightful furnishings, fabulous bed, a litle balcony with table and chairs overlooking the blossom trees and in the distance maybe half a mile away the towers of the Minster, who's bells we could hear on Sunday morning... at my request a dozen white roses added a nice touch , as did a booking for dinner at the Guy Fawkes Inn a 15 min walk away next to the Minster. The mornings ( we stayed Friday thru Sunday) were a treat with a top English Breakfast, our departure was delayed slightly as the Card machine was playing up but after repairing to the lovely lounge to read the Sunday papers with a coffee, we were soon on our way.

Room Tip: Go for Room 505, great view
1  Thank OptomanLeeds
Reviewed April 14, 2012

We have just returned from our 2 night stay in Marmadukes. I have mixed feelings about this place as it is rated a 4 star but didn’t really experience the 4 star “luxury”.

Pros: perfect location – just loved it – quiet but very close to the centre – if you like walking it will take you maybe 15 – 20 minutes. The first impression and the décor inside were just great + a very nice breakfast (really enjoyed that – the staff, the music, the choice of food). Check in – we could leave our luggage at reception as the room was not ready. The girl who checked us in was nice and pleasant.
Cons: THE BED! – we had a big issue with the mattress - I imagined (when advertised as hand - made mattress’s) that it will be super comfy. Well I am not a person who enjoys “sinking ” in the middle of the bed and feeling the wire and nor does my partner. When lying in the bed our feet were higher than our heads. As there were different receptionists each shift we spoke at least to 3 different people in order to resolve this issue. I wasn’t after any upgrade but felt that the matter was “waved off” as we were told most of their customers like such mattresses and they are squishy on purpose. I understand that the hotel was full and they couldn’t change our room but that was not really our main concern. I just didn’t like the way they dealt with the matter and left us “chasing them”. It made me feel like the only option we had was either to check out or “this is the way it is so tough luck” as we were in the minority of people who didn’t like the mattress. I work in a hotel myself and I know that usually a comfortable sleep counts more than a nice décor or size of a room. In the end £20.00 off the bill was given to us as they stated “we were after a discount”. Yes, we also mentioned some other small issues about the room which didn’t bother us but would be nice to have fixed before the next guest arrives.

Room tip: we were located on the top floor and it was quiet. We didn’t mind the stairs. Our room had a bath with no shower holder and we had to sit in the bathtub while having a shower to avoid water spillage (there was a note in the bathroom). There was no shower curtain.

Overall, a lovely location, a pleasant stay, but definitely not 4 star.

5  Thank teriezka
Reviewed April 10, 2012

Just come back from a very wet weekend in York, but the Marmaduke hotel made our stay a pleasure. After booking via a website I had an email about a week before to confirm our stay at the hotel. I thought this was very professional. We were asked if we'd like some personal touches to our stay and they provided us with all required. The standard of the room was very good although it didn't have a shower which could have been dealt with but we felt it ok. Good range of coffee and tea making facilities. As said by other reviewers the breakfast was very good and nothing was too much for the staff.
On bankholiday monday we had a terrible day weatherwise and came back in the afternoon while we used the reading room and requested some tea which was served straight away and didn't appear on the final bill! Very nice touch. We had a very nice weekend in the Marmaduke and would consider coming back in a few years.

Room Tip: Room 506 is quite a good size room although on roadside. We stayed a bankholiday so not too much tra...
Reviewed April 9, 2012

Lovely hotel in Victorian houses. It is like being a guest in a classic old English house. Excellent condition, decoration and furnishing throughout. Only 15 minutes walk from the Minster. Excellent breakfast served to your table. No lift, so it wouldn't be suitable for people who have difficulty with stairs.

Room Tip: The hotel is in a cul-de-sac with very little traffic so there is little intrusive noise to any room...
Reviewed April 8, 2012

My husband and I stayed for one night at Marmadukes and had booked a deluxe double. The car park was full when we got there which wasn't a problem because after 5pm you can park on the road outside for free.

The lady who checked us in was very helpful and friendly, she was able to recommend a restaurant and order a taxi for us. Our room was lovely but slightly smaller than I had imagined, on the website we booked through we had chosen the deluxe double as it said it had a seating area and power shower so we decided to pay the extra. I think the term 'seating area' was used very loosely and it certainly wasn't a power shower. The temperature of the water was very difficult to control and there was a notice telling you that it was prone to fluctuations in temperature. Not ideal!

On the plus side though, the seating areas downstairs were very comfortable and we used the bar before going out for dinner and again on our return.

The breakfast was wonderful, I had the full english whilst my husband had the vegetarian and both were absolutely delicious.

On the whole we enjoyed our short stay but wouldn't bother with booking the more expensive room if we were to return.

1  Thank Birkridge