“Cold Room Cold Shower”

Ranked #175 of 192 York B&B and Inns
Gloucester, United Kingdom
“Cold Room Cold Shower”
Reviewed October 25, 2013

Stayed for 2 nights in October with my sister. Our twin room, Rm 9 which was at the top in the loft conversion. The stairs were extremely narrow and difficult to negotiate. We were led to believe all rooms had central heating. Unfortunately there was no central heating in this room, only a convector heater which after complaining about the cold, we were advised to leave it on all night. We did eventually get an extra blanket each. The shower was cold and did not stay hot once you were in there. Very uncomfortable trying to wash your hair in cold water! We found the owner very rude and unhelpful once we had complained. We would not recommend this guesthouse to anyone!! We certainly will not be going there again!

Room Tip: Make sure you do your research and don't book last minute
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
Bansko, Bulgaria
Reviewed September 23, 2013

Free parking with a permit, a refundable five pounds ia payable on arrival in exchange for the parking permit.
The outside with dead plant pots and grubby looking, entering the narrow hallway the walls need a good scrub and paint job. Throughout there was an unpleasant stale smell, the guest house would benefit from some fresh flowers, plug in aromas or furniture polish. Our room on the 2nd floor was adequate but all a little bit tired and shabby.It was August and we were unable to open the window overlooking a grubby yard, had to keep the standing fan on all the time. Bathroom was spacious with a decent shower.
Comfortable 15mins stroll to York Minister and a small Tesco store only 10minutes walk away for snack supplies.

Room Tip: My tip is choose another guest house.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

Travelers are raving about these York hotels

ORLANDO
Reviewed September 18, 2013

Stayed for four nights in August in the single room [#3]. Very comfortable, and, strangely enough from reading other reviews, I did not notice a single cigarette smell anywhere! Very sensitive to this to as I do not smoke, and cannot stand the smell. EXCELLENT breakfast with wonderful, helpful, and kind service. Went out of their way to make you feel welcome. Then, when my mother arrived from Portsmouth [I live in the US], having forgotten her medication, the kitchen staff, one person in particular, went out of her way to contact a local hospital/walk-in center, speak to a nurse, get a doctor on the phone - and stayed on top of the situation until everything was taken care of. Would stay here again in a heartbeat!

Room Tip: If you anticipate having several bags, I would request one of the 1st floor rooms - only one (and a...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Hull
Reviewed September 5, 2013

arrived at the b&b to be told we had been double booked and they had no vacancies,(great start to our anniversary)the owner was away and a lovely lady was housesitting,she went down the street looking for us a room but the only one available was with a shared bathroom which i didnt want,so she let us use her computer to find somewere to stay.The housesitter was lovely and very apologetic,Thought the owner may have rang on his return to offer his apologies,but upto now heard nothing.

Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Nürnberg
Reviewed September 2, 2013

absolutely disgusting, Feeling like smoking 40 cigaretts in one hour, when entering the hotel. Dirty blankets, dirty shower. Saying "my love" and "Darling" at the breakfast doesn't make it better at all. It's just more disgusting. Never ever again.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 2, 2013

Made to feel.very welcome. Nothing to much trouble for the staff. Travelled with my hubby who had recently had a knee operation we were moved into a room on the first floor. We had a room.with a shower cubicle which was quite small. Room was clean and off a good size. If you have walking difficuties you may find the walk into the centre could take 25 mins not 10 mins as stated on website
Was able to.park.outside the hotel provided with parking permit. Good value for money lots of choice at breakfast. The property can be a little noisy you could hear conversations from other rooms.

hull
Reviewed August 25, 2013

I booked this accommodation for a party of 8 (four couples) for two nights, as we were going to the races. Everyone agreed that the rooms were comfortable and all were quite happy with their accommodation. My request for a room on a lower floor was granted and my husband and I stayed in room 1, which is a twin room, with the benefiit of a bath and shower over the bath. I know that some rooms only have a shower, but all were en suite and the water was very hot, so no issues with cold showers as has happened in other hotels. As requested I telephoned the night before to advise our arrival time, the owner was very pleasant and thanked me for letting him know. On arrival he met us at the door, welcomed us in and we registered, we were handed a parking permit and given the room keys and information about breakfast times and which key opened the outer door. There was a good stock of tea, coffee, milk etc. A hairdryer was also supplied, although I always travel with my own, so I did not use it. The rom was clean and tidy, it was not huge, but was perfeclty acceptable, there was also a fan, which was much appreciated because the weather was warm. Our breakfast on both mornings was served with a smile and was very good, all freshly prepared to order, with lots of choice of cereals, fresh fruit, yoghurts etc. and as much tea and toast as you could manage. Tony, the owner was extremely good natured on the Saturday evening, when most of our party returned early to the hotel, but three of us stayed out, having forgotten to keep at least one outer door key, which meant we had to ring the bell to be admited to the Lodge. He had every right to be annoyed, but he accepted our apology with goood grace and said "these things happen".

My experience was certainly different from that of some other reviewers on this site, I saw no evidence of a miserable owner or cigarette smoking staff. We enjoyed our stay, the Lodge is well located, close to the centre of York and a short taxi ride from the racecourse, or a leisurely walk if you are so inclined. I would stay here again and would recommend it to others.