“worth checking out”

Ranked #174 of 192 York B&B and Inns
Manchester, United Kingdom
“worth checking out”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 2, 2013

Made to feel.very welcome. Nothing to much trouble for the staff. Travelled with my hubby who had recently had a knee operation we were moved into a room on the first floor. We had a room.with a shower cubicle which was quite small. Room was clean and off a good size. If you have walking difficuties you may find the walk into the centre could take 25 mins not 10 mins as stated on website
Was able to.park.outside the hotel provided with parking permit. Good value for money lots of choice at breakfast. The property can be a little noisy you could hear conversations from other rooms.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
hull
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 25, 2013

I booked this accommodation for a party of 8 (four couples) for two nights, as we were going to the races. Everyone agreed that the rooms were comfortable and all were quite happy with their accommodation. My request for a room on a lower floor was granted and my husband and I stayed in room 1, which is a twin room, with the benefiit of a bath and shower over the bath. I know that some rooms only have a shower, but all were en suite and the water was very hot, so no issues with cold showers as has happened in other hotels. As requested I telephoned the night before to advise our arrival time, the owner was very pleasant and thanked me for letting him know. On arrival he met us at the door, welcomed us in and we registered, we were handed a parking permit and given the room keys and information about breakfast times and which key opened the outer door. There was a good stock of tea, coffee, milk etc. A hairdryer was also supplied, although I always travel with my own, so I did not use it. The rom was clean and tidy, it was not huge, but was perfeclty acceptable, there was also a fan, which was much appreciated because the weather was warm. Our breakfast on both mornings was served with a smile and was very good, all freshly prepared to order, with lots of choice of cereals, fresh fruit, yoghurts etc. and as much tea and toast as you could manage. Tony, the owner was extremely good natured on the Saturday evening, when most of our party returned early to the hotel, but three of us stayed out, having forgotten to keep at least one outer door key, which meant we had to ring the bell to be admited to the Lodge. He had every right to be annoyed, but he accepted our apology with goood grace and said "these things happen".

My experience was certainly different from that of some other reviewers on this site, I saw no evidence of a miserable owner or cigarette smoking staff. We enjoyed our stay, the Lodge is well located, close to the centre of York and a short taxi ride from the racecourse, or a leisurely walk if you are so inclined. I would stay here again and would recommend it to others.

Long Eaton, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 7, 2013

Just returned from a two night stay with my husband. Location of the guest house was great, just 10 mins walk to the Minster and close to all the city attractions. The room was basic but clean and comfortable. Room décor was fine, however the décor through the house and dining room was quite tired and dated and could benefit from redecoration.

Breakfast was hot and plentiful and service was quick and friendly. On the negative side, room to the rear of the property, not the quietest late nights and early mornings.

Room Tip: Request a room towards the front of the hotel. Even 2nd floor room to the rear was noisy, think thi...
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 6, 2013

Firstly, as the other reviewers say the owner is so miserable and in welcoming it makes you want to turn around straight away. Secondly, cigarette smoke. The whole place stinks of it, the staff being the culprits. This is even worse when they smoke in the kitchen whilst serving breakfast. Very hard to enjoy food with the smoke coming in. Lastly, the room. Paper thin walls, you can hear snoring, conversations, tv, etc making a lie in or early night impossible. Also, we stayed in room 7 were the shower is in the bedroom without a door so privacy is minimal. If you read this and book anyway, you deserve all you get!!

• Stayed July 2013
1 Thank Dhamil25

Travelers are raving about these York hotels

London
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 6, 2013

Stayed here for two nights with my boyfriend on checking in found the owner was not very helpful, asked us to sign some paper work told us when breakfast was then basically left us to it! On checking into the room which I can only describe as like being in a caravan and being greated by the strong smell of cigarette smoke left us disappointed. The location is good for city centre although I think for the same price you could get better accommodation for the same price. Will not be returning here!!

• Stayed August 2013
3 Thank Joanne_liz
scotland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 24, 2013

I went here for 4 nights in July 2913 with my husband and another couple after reading some of the reviews I was worried about going to this place but I shouldn't have ,I don't no what people expect . When we arrived we were greeted by tony with a smile he told us were our rooms where ok the weren't 5 stars but were clean and very comfortable yes the shower tray is in need of replacing but hay hoe the rooms were cleaned everyday the breakfast was lovely the staff were lovely what more can you want I would have no problems going back here if I want somewhere classy then I would book a 5 star hotel if your looking for cheep and cheerful and clean then visit here

Room Tip: Get tony to cook you scrambled eggs
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Nottingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 13, 2013

We stayed for 2 nights as an extension to our wedding anniversary and found the owner and his staff very friendly. The room was extremely comfortable (the electric fan was welcome, as the weather was hot). Our breakfast was tasty and plentiful, we would recommend this B & B to anyone. Value for money.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple