“Fun treats”
Review of Retro Fondue - CLOSED

Retro Fondue
Reviewed April 14, 2014

This place is on a side street but worth seeking out. I went with my teenage son who thought he had gone to heaven. The chocolate in the fondu we had a was tasty and the plate of dipping treats was really wide ranging, lots of treats. The price was very reasonable. The coffee was excellent.

My only negative was that as oer a previous review the menus were a bit grubby, the menu was stuck to the front window with tape and the floor was a bit grubby. I think my mother would have not stepped foot in here based on those initial impressions, It just lacked care and attention to detail which is a real shame.

The staff were friendly and polite and we would def go back if it's still there next time we go to york. The reason it might not be would be because if it's location and cleanliness as above. I hope the owner is reading this!

3  Thank Lou W
Retrofondue1, Owner at Retro Fondue, responded to this reviewResponded April 15, 2014

Hi Lou

Thank you for dinning at retro fondue and we are pleased you had a pleasant experience and enjoyed the food. The menus have now been replaced but as you can imagine chocolate and cheese can be a nightmare and the menus do stain very easy. We did want to replace them sooner but the fact we are a brand new business means cash flow is very tight which brings me to the next point the floor. The floor is moped and cleaned thoroughly everyday but the floor is heavily marked from the previous owners but not dirty. The cost of the new floor is over £2000. we are hoping to have the floor fitted in the next 4 weeks so please bear with us, as stated before we are a new business and sometimes cash flow dictates what we can do.

Thanks again and hope to see you again.

Reviewed April 14, 2014

Churros is an amazing breakfast!And now you can get them in York!And also many other types of fondues,both sweet and savoury!A nice ultra modern place with delightful staff Go and see!

Reviewed April 11, 2014

Ok first of all this is not a review on the food as we walked out and I am sorry but first impression in a food establishment are important.

For me one reason we didn't stay, the age old problem of dirty menu,s, there is just no excuse for this, they had wipe clean ones but they had not bothered, front of house cleanliness in my experience reflects the kitchens, the Star on the door scheme is all well and good, but once you have it you wont see the Council again unless there is a complaint.

The place was dead with two behind the counter twiddling their thumbs and kitchen staff sat at a table having their lunch, so they could have taken five minutes to check things like this.

One other comment about the menu, is they have children's portions, now if you are not that hungry or on a diet or even medical reasons and you only want a small portion then other eateries will let you have this size, here they stipulate an age limited of 12, so what are you going to do ask to see the child's birth certificate, crazy, money is money and if an adult wants a small child's portion let them have it, you are never that busy when we pass, there are hundreds of choices in York all competing for business.

So again I cannot comment on the food but would not risk eating here myself

Hi Mitch

I am very sorry to hear about your first impressions of retro fondue. I would like to reassure you and readers that the menus do get wiped down everyday and also through out the day. There are some stains, chocolate/ coffee that we can not get off but these are stains imbedded in the card and should not reflect on the cleanliness of the cafe. We have very high standards when it comes to cleanliness and we were rated just over 3 weeks ago and achieved a rating of 4 stars which I was assured that this was excellent for a new business.
As for the comments about the kids menu we will not be changing this we make little or no profit on the children's menu our price for the kids fondues are just £2.50 we have done this to attract families to our cafe and it is working there are very few places were you can buy a children's meal for £2.50. When we first opened the cafe the menus did not state on them for 12 and under and a large number of adults purchased the kids fondues & unfortunately a business can not survive on £2.50 fondues. Most cafes / restaurants have age limits on their kids menus, this is common practise.

Again we are sorry for your experience and been a new business we cant always get it right first time and appreciate your feed back.
We are a new company and have only been operating since 3rd January and this is the only bad review we have received.

Reviewed April 4, 2014 via mobile

What an ace find! The chocolate fondue is delicious, and the hot chocolate to die for! Excellent service too. Def worth a visit!!!

Reviewed March 30, 2014 via mobile

Having gone off the back of a living social offer we enjoyed our treat so much that we would go back again! Excellent service and with a menu to suit those with a sweet or saviour tooth, I would thoroughly recommend a visit!