“Lovely accommodation in ideal location”
Review of The Hazelwood

The Hazelwood
Ranked #39 of 192 York B&B and Inns
Christchurch, New Zealand
“Lovely accommodation in ideal location”
Reviewed October 12, 2012

Very clean accommmodation with extremely friendly staff. Ideal loaction for the town center. Very nice breakfast and a decent size too with coffee/tea top-ups. Parking to the rear (and they let us stay parked after checking out).

Will definitly use this hotel again.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (94)
Reviewed September 28, 2012

Spacious well appointed clean rooms. Lovely breakfast with lots of selection served by very warm and attentive staff
Even provided laundry service at a very reasonable price
Highly recommend.

Adding this because reviews need to be 200 characters.

• Stayed September 2012
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed September 23, 2012

The service at the Hazlewood was very good right from the start. We had to phone ahead to tell them that we would be arriving late because we got stuck in the M1 traffic. We had Room 11 which was a Superior room with a four poster bed. I would have to say that the bed is one of the most comfortable beds I have ever slept in! The room was very spacious, though the bathroom a little on the small side. Breakfast was plentiful and served in a nice dining room. The only downsides to the Hazlewood is the parking and no lift. Getting the car in and out was a feat, and poor hubby had to lug our suitcases up a few flights of stairs. Would be ok if you are just having a weekend away, but when you're visiting from Australia, we had a bit of luggage to contend with. The B&B is also very centrally located, easy walking distance to many of the tourist sites and restaurants, etc.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Mullaghbawn
Macclesfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 17, 2012

I wasn't looking forward to staying away with work on a Sunday , and then I got to the Hazelwood and received such a warm welcome . tucked away but well placed in the centre of York - lots to enjoy off the doorstep and yet a quiet backwater . My Sunday turned into a really enjoyable trip out , and two days work locally was made very enjoyable by the fact I was able return to this lovely B and B. ideal for mixing business with pleasure. Only drawback - breakfast doesn't start til 8 , so I felt rushed and not able to enjoy fully - work required me to start at 8.30. A little flexibilty around that would be appreciated . The breakfast menu looked delicious .

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Hertfordshire
Reviewed September 14, 2012

I am a fairly frequent visitor to York, and have stayed in several B&B's over the years. Now I have found THE ONE - The Hazelwood in Portland Street, just five minutes from the Bootham Bar (no, not a watering hole, but one of the old city gates!) and about ten minutes walk from the station.
I have now stayed there twice, and have had a consistently good experience.
I have stayed in a room on the first floor at the back, and in the basement to the front. I would be happy to stay in either one again. A really nice welcome from Sharon, who showed me the room and told me about the place, and about breakfast next morning. She then gave me keys to the house and the room, so that I could come and go as I pleased.
The rooms both had an ensuite shower room, both were very clean, they had tea & coffee facilities, TV and wifi. There is also a parking space to the rear, but you may have to book this. There is also a little garden to the rear with a table and seating, which is most enjoyable in the sunshine.
Breakfast offered a range of fruits, cereals, yoghurts etc, but I opted for the full English breakfast one time, and smoked salmon and scrambled eggs the other time, all freshly cooked. When have you ever been offered this in a B&B??
I would thoroughly recommend the Hazelwood: it is within walking distance of everything in York, you will get a great welcome, it is clean, friendly, and has everything you will need. It also offers excellent value for money!
Enjoy!

Room Tip: Choose either of the two rooms I have stayed in, you won't regret it, but the other rooms are ve...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank BOOTling
liverpool
Reviewed September 2, 2012

we have recently returned from a weekend staying at the hazelwood , for our 20th anniversary, we arrived early and went straight to the hotel to see if we could leave car in the car park , when we got to the hotel to ask, they told us our room was ready and we could go straight up, the lady who greeted us was very friendly , polite and helpful, when we got to our room it was lovely , it was quite a good size, very clean and well furnished, the bathroom was also very clean and spacious, nothing was too much trouble for any member of the staff that we met, my husband had arranged for flowers to be delivered to the hotel for me when we arrived they had been delivered and put in our room ,there is a lovely garden at the back to sit in and as we were fortunate to have lovely weather we sat out there , very peaceful , the breakfast was great , fresh fruit, cereal, yogurt, and a cooked breakfast or salmon and poached eggs there is a great selection , and some thing for everyone , we couldnt have asked for anything more from the staff and hotel , we will most definately go back and would recommend this hotel ,

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank murdock37
Southport, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 28, 2012

We particularly wanted to stay close to York, so stayed at The Hazelwood for one night. The staff were friendly and helpful and the room was spotless. There was everything we needed for a comfortable stay in the room with extra touches such as flapjacks in a tin. The parking is a bit tight but the advantage of being able to park outweighs this. Overall, a lovely friendly welcome which continued with us being able to leave the car, the next day, whilst we enjoyed York. The location is excellent being a few minutes into the centre of York - we would definitely stay again. Thank you!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple