“Last Resort!”

Ranked #42 of 46 Hotels in York
North Yorkshire
“Last Resort!”
Reviewed November 23, 2010

I will try to be fair about the hotel as it isn't all bad - but it is in need of serious improvement. We booked for one night to avoid driving home after a party. There was very little choice in York for a one night Saturday stay or we wouldn't have chosen this hotel. However its location for the centre of York is very good and it is served by a good bus service. Car parking is very tight - we couldn't get in and parked on the street.

Externally the hotel is in a very nice building. Reception is old fashioned and in need of updating. The staff were friendly and helpful. There appeared to be a pleasant, if old fashioned lounge although we didn't use it. We did have a drink in the small bar which was quite nice but hardly any room for seating - us and one other couple filled it to capacity!

Our room was along a corridor - where a load of surplus chairs were stacked (which did not give a good impression), past the open kitchen door (ditto) and down a set of steep steps into what felt like the bowels of the earth - also past a rather dangerous looking, open, cellar door - which I made note of in case I had a drink later!

The bedroom was probably the worst I've stayed in for an establishment calling itself a hotel. It was extremely small for a double room with barely enough room to walk around the bed on one side.

The decor looks as though it hasn't been updated since about 1980 - chintzy curtains with a flouncy valance in colours that matched nothing else in the room. The dressing table mirror was so high on the wall that when you sat down you could only see the top of your head - not great for drying your hair! The bedding - well, although the sheets were crisp and clean it had the most vile itchy blankets that I've ever seen. Seriously guys, go and get some duvets, they were nasty!! The room was cold - the heating was just coming on (at 5pm on a November day) and it took two hours to fully warm up by which time we were going out - making getting dressed after a shower very unpleasant.

The bathroom was fine - clean and relatively modern. I had a nice hot bath in the evening and a good shower in the morning.

Breakfast was ok - nothing special. The usual choice of fruit and cereal with full English. I was baffled as to why they'd set the place at the table in a position where it wasn't possible to pull the chair out as it was too close to the fire place but never mind, that was easily fixed.

Check out was fine if a little offhand - we weren't asked if we'd enjoyed our stay - in fact the lady at reception barely stopped talking to some other guests in the lobby as we left.

It's sad really because it would take very little extra money and effort to make this a nice little hotel and it's in a really good place for a night out in York - but it felt a bit of a rip off when it would have cost about the same to stay in a nice modern chain hotel.

Could do better!

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
Dundee
Reviewed October 24, 2010

Just back from a weeks stay at the Holgate Hill. Overall very happy. Quite an old fashioned place but clean and tidy with friendly staff.
My one big criticism would be the horrible blankets on the bed.
Time to invest in Duvets.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
TravelLora
Reviewed October 13, 2010

I only stayed for one night to attend an event in York. Although the entrace/stairs look a bit dated, the room looked as if it had been recently decorated and was spotless and modern. The breakfast was pretty good and service was quick. Overall in terms of value for money it was excellent and I would certainly use it again.

It's about a mile from the centre of York and although there is parking, I'd recommend getting there early as its not extensive.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled solo
Melbourne
Reviewed October 3, 2010

The service provided by staff at this hotel was universally helpful and friendly. A visitor from Melbourne, I stayed for three nights in September (2010) and was made to feel very welcome. The room I stayed in was on the first floor - there was a small amount of traffic noise but overall this was of little consequence - it was clean and landline telephone was provided in the room. Evening meals were available in the restaurant and a bar was also open in the evening, both of which I availed myself of - meals were good value for money, although you may not have wanted to have 3 courses every night. The staff also assisted me in enabling me to do some laundry overnight, again no fuss was made and an iron was available also. The establishment delivered what is promised and I would recommend it to those who would like a moderately priced hotel offering friendly value for money service.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled solo
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 26, 2010

it was mine & my partners wedding anniversary & i was looking for a place to stay FOR ONE NIGHT ONLY for ourselves & another two couples, but i was finding it really hard as most places you had to stay for at least two nights! after searching for age's i came across the holgate hill hotel. after reading through the reviews i was a bit sceptical about booking but i thought what the hell i'll give them a call & see if they have 3 rooms available, a gentleman answerd the phone & was really polite & helpfull, i ended up booking 3 double rooms for a saturday night in september. on arrival at the hotel there was a parking space for us & two people wating in reception to great us both were really helpfull & gave us plenty of information before passing us our keys. the rooms we stayed in were lovley & comfortable, i'm so glad that i did'nt let the reviews put me off booking this hotel as we had a really enjoyable stay, the breakfast the next day was superb, all in all we could not find any faults with this hotel, yes the deco is a bit old fashioned but we found this quite romantic & charming, the staff & service which we received was EXCELLENT & we will all certainly book again next time we visit york, this hotel is a little gem & great value for money, i would reccomend this hotel as all the staff & the owner hazel made our stay so welcoming everything was perfect!

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Donna250910
Leeds, UK
Reviewed August 1, 2010

My partner and I stayed here for one night when we were in York for his company's Christmas 'do.

Yes, the decor is rather dated, but I actually found it rather charming. The room was a little small, but it had all of the essentials - it even had a small plasma TV on the wall with plenty of channels! The bathroom was an avacado suite, but it was clean enough so I can't say it bothered us! The temperature of the water in the shower was a little temperamental, but once you'd got it in the right place it was fine.

The staff there were great, very friendly and welcoming. When we arrived we were in such a rush as we had to shower and change to get there on time, and my fiance asked for an iron to use as he hadn't bothered to iron his shirt (men, eh?) one of the hosuekeepers offered to iron his short for him, then bought it to our room for us! The waiters/waitresses serving breakfast were happy to change things from the menu (great as I'm a fussy eater) and were tolerant of our inevitable hangovers! The receptionist also offered to put our bags in the back-room for safekeeping when checking out as we wanted to wander around York for a bit then pick up the car, so we didn't have to lug our overnight bags and dress/suit bags through York in the snow and ice!

Overall, yes it's a bit dated (and you do feel like you're in an episode of Fawlty towers) but it's clean, has all of the essentials, and the staff are friendly and helpful.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
Hartlepool
Reviewed May 17, 2010

Arrived lunch time saturday, couldnt get in the car park blocked by a car awaiting a tow, asked the receptionist (not very helpful) what to do, I got was 'would you like to pay for your room now'. Bedroom very tired needs a lick of paint! Breakfast was very poor, have stayed in York in different b&b's and this was the worst one of all (portions fit for a child).

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple

Travelers are raving about these York hotels