Holgate Hill Hotel
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
  • Breakfast included
  • Breakfast included
  • Pool
All reviewsbus stop rightselection of cerealscity centreminute walknight stayfull englishpleasant staybooked this hotelbiscuitstea and coffeeweekend breaknice breakfastcomfortable roomscar parkcouple of nightsfour poster bedcooked breakfast
FilterAll languages
Reviewed March 26, 2014

We had booked through Superbreak for a couple of days in York and chose the Holgate Hill Hotel. First impressions were ok, a small car park at the front and a patio area to the rear for us smokers.

Staff friendly on arrival and the room, whilst basic, was comfortable and enough for both of us. if I had one criticism of the room it would be the distinct lack of sockets. Travelling down for a meeting as well as a couple of days away means phones and tablets were with us too. Only one socket in the room made charging things a logistical nightmare.

The hotel was quiet with (I think) only another couple of rooms let which suited us fine.
The owner was extremely friendly and couldn't do enough for us whilst we were there. Breakfast was efficient and good however English black pudding is nowhere near as good as Scottish Black Pudding (the English stuff was very floral - minor criticism really).

Distance to York city centre and the rail station was good and about a fifteen minute walk to each.

Would I go here again? Well more than likely as I do prefer the idea of family run place compared to the corporate type of hotel which no matter where you go, everything is the same. This place at least had a bit of character and really friendly staff.

A bit of an upgrade and this would get a 5 rating from me.

Room Tip: Room 1 - only had one socket!
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business
3  Thank Will D
Reviewed March 23, 2014

A large group of us had occasion to enjoy an evening together. Most of us had not visited the Holgate Hotel Hill Hotel before. What a great experience it was! The ambience was very relaxing and most pleasant. The service and the food was excellent and I can fully recommend a visit there. The staff are friendly and the Hotel is in a good location, quiet but near to the city if you wish to visit. Thank you to all the staff. We did not stay overnight. Maybe next time.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank robert d
Reviewed March 17, 2014

I stayed here for one night as I had a business meeting the next morning in York.
Given that I paid what I consider to be a budget price I was surprised to find that my room was very pleasant, comfortable and had recently been updated. The bath room whilst quite small had a double size shower hence no claustrophobia or bumping elbows on enclosure.
Breakfast was included in the price and was also very good.
There was on site parking hence I left my car here and walked the short distance into York hence saving money and the hassle associated with driving in York.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank impulsivearies
Reviewed March 11, 2014

I needed a hotel to take my partner to while we attended an exhibition and I thought I would turn it into a bit of a weekend break for us. We arrived a little early and they were very accomodating. We got parked no problems in the car park and we went up to our room. I could complain about a few bits, the hotel worked out at £70 per night which for a midweek hotel was not cheap. I got this hotel through Expedia on a secret deal so was very disappointed with the costs!

They had a jacuzzi bath which was broken (I dont feel it is too expensive to replace a bath!) the shower was run through the mixer taps so my partner had a lot of issues getting it hot but not too hot... The bed was comfortable and it was a little frustrating there was no TV remote, when you are trying to find something to watch while snuggling with your partner it kinda kills the mood.
The phone in the room was broken which wasn't ideal as the lady from reception had to run to our room when our taxi arrived early.

The breakfast was good, they were very accomodating. I think feedback wise they are stuck between a rock and a hard place... They had nice quality bacon and sausage which my boyfriend found a little too rich. I feel that it was a positive thing and that he should simply man up!

The bed was very comfortable however I was enjoying my sleep a little too much to be woken by the fire alarm at 8am on our day of departure! This was not one of our happiest moments when I was already suffering a migraine and the alarm itself was in our room.

Very Fawlty Towers, but that being said, they give a personal service and are very friendly. I have given it an average because that is what it is for it's rating, I didnt feel I received any exemplary service to warrant higher.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Carmack83
Reviewed February 24, 2014

I stayed here 21-23FEB 2014.
This hotel is about a 10-15 minute walk from the train station, otherwise it's £5 for a taxi that takes 2 minutes.
The hotel is in a lovely spot. It's very quiet, as it sits back from the road but it's very close to the city, just down 2 x main roads right to the city wall.
The rooms are very nicely decorated, very comfortable, very clean, and have tea/coffee making facilities.
The breakfast room was really nice - you get your standard cerials, fruit, yoghurt and juice on a table, then a sit down order service for your hot drinks and hot food - like full English breakfast, eggs etc.
There is free wifi, although mine only worked in the main areas of the hotel - you might be lucky enough to get it in your room. I just sat in the sitting room, overlooking the garden and used the wifi there.
The staff were all really lovely, and I would 100% recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family