“Interesting...” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Holgate Hill Hotel

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
Holgate Hill Hotel
Ranked #42 of 46 Hotels in York
“Interesting...”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 11, 2014

I needed a hotel to take my partner to while we attended an exhibition and I thought I would turn it into a bit of a weekend break for us. We arrived a little early and they were very accomodating. We got parked no problems in the car park and we went up to our room. I could complain about a few bits, the hotel worked out at £70 per night which for a midweek hotel was not cheap. I got this hotel through Expedia on a secret deal so was very disappointed with the costs!

They had a jacuzzi bath which was broken (I dont feel it is too expensive to replace a bath!) the shower was run through the mixer taps so my partner had a lot of issues getting it hot but not too hot... The bed was comfortable and it was a little frustrating there was no TV remote, when you are trying to find something to watch while snuggling with your partner it kinda kills the mood.
The phone in the room was broken which wasn't ideal as the lady from reception had to run to our room when our taxi arrived early.

The breakfast was good, they were very accomodating. I think feedback wise they are stuck between a rock and a hard place... They had nice quality bacon and sausage which my boyfriend found a little too rich. I feel that it was a positive thing and that he should simply man up!

The bed was very comfortable however I was enjoying my sleep a little too much to be woken by the fire alarm at 8am on our day of departure! This was not one of our happiest moments when I was already suffering a migraine and the alarm itself was in our room.

Very Fawlty Towers, but that being said, they give a personal service and are very friendly. I have given it an average because that is what it is for it's rating, I didnt feel I received any exemplary service to warrant higher.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Carmack83

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
Gold Coast
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 24, 2014

I stayed here 21-23FEB 2014.
This hotel is about a 10-15 minute walk from the train station, otherwise it's £5 for a taxi that takes 2 minutes.
The hotel is in a lovely spot. It's very quiet, as it sits back from the road but it's very close to the city, just down 2 x main roads right to the city wall.
The rooms are very nicely decorated, very comfortable, very clean, and have tea/coffee making facilities.
The breakfast room was really nice - you get your standard cerials, fruit, yoghurt and juice on a table, then a sit down order service for your hot drinks and hot food - like full English breakfast, eggs etc.
There is free wifi, although mine only worked in the main areas of the hotel - you might be lucky enough to get it in your room. I just sat in the sitting room, overlooking the garden and used the wifi there.
The staff were all really lovely, and I would 100% recommend this hotel.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
3 Thank Rhiannon D
Kirkcaldy, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 30, 2014

Stayed here as part of a superbreaks deal and no complaints! Wasn't mega keen on the fry up on the first morning but was rather rough from the night before if I'm honest. Beans on toast the next morning hit the spot!

Staff were awesome and helped out whenever I asked for anything e.g. calling taxis, recommendations, keeping a bottle of fizz in the fridge for us.

Would definitely recommend to anyone looking for a room at a braw wee place!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Canterbury
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 3, 2013

I required somewhere basic and functional to stay for one night so my reason for booking was the hotel’s price and its easy walk to the train station and the buses to the university. The single room was clean, small and adequate with old, tired furniture. The shower-room made up for this as it was newly refurbished. The communal areas were homely and decorated for Xmas. The bar was clearly in use and the lounge looked welcoming. On my return home, after my visit to York, my husband asked me if it was somewhere to stay again on such a visit and I answered a resounding yes. So why? Well, the customer service was exemplary. I left too early in the morning to have the breakfast included in the cost of the room so I asked if there was any chance of a bacon sandwich to take with me. Instead of receiving the resigned “oh I suppose so” response so often given at times like this I was rewarded with a “yes of course”. Still not convinced it would happen on time as requested, I hesitantly descended the stairs the following morning a few minutes before my planned departure time only to find the member of staff with frying pan in hand, cooking my bacon! She topped up my breakfast with a banana and fresh orange juice and off I went to the station. Thank you very much indeed! It was done with such good humour and not a hint of having put herself out that the hotel’s owners deserve every success based purely on that experience.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 29, 2013

We stayed in the hotel for 3 nights in November, had 2 single rooms an one twin room. Staff at hotel very friendly and welcoming and if we had a problem they sorted it out straight away. Breakfast was excellent, set us up for a full day of walking around York. There was a menu but you could order anything. Would go back to this hotel when I visit York again. Bus stop right outside £1.20 to get into town cetnre, if you are fit then about a 20 minute walk.

Room Tip: It is a quiet hotel no heavy traffic on the road in the front of the hotel. So all rooms would be g...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
Derby, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 28, 2013 via mobile

We stopped for one night at this hotel. When arriving we was welcomed by friendly staff and shown to our twin room. The room was quite small and the shower was cold, however, it was very clean. The bed was comfy and had a good sleep.

The breakfast wasn't the best. The croissants was dry and I asked for a full breakfast. It consisted of one small greasy sausage, bacon, fried bread, egg and black pudding. No beans or tomatoes. It was very basic and very small.

Parking can also be quite difficult if there's an hotel full

• Stayed November 2013