The Saxon House
If you like this hotel, you might also be interested in
$138
TripAdvisor
Middletons York(York)(Great Value!)
$127
  • Pool
Holiday Inn Express York(York)(Great Value!)
$100
$84
Holiday Inn York(York)(Great Value!)
$100
$103
$151
$114
  • Room Service
Wheatlands Lodge Hotel(York)(Great Value!)
$107
$104
Orbitz.com
  • Breakfast included
All reviewscontinental breakfastcity centrecold meatsclean towelsyogurtwalk along the riverwhen visiting yorktea and coffeeroom was largewould stay againcomfy bedideal locationshort breaka lovely staycrumpetspub
FilterAll languages
Reviewed August 23, 2012

Very easy to find and as I pulled into the car park the owner very kindly arranged for a space to be made available. Check in was friendly and thoroughly professional. I will admit our room was a little tired but the TV, kettle, shower and most importantly the wi-fi all worked perfectly. My only (very minor) gripe as I'm 6ft 2in was the railings at the bottom of my bed meant I couldn't fully stretch out. There is some traffic noise if windows are open but we closed them at night so quite peaceful. Breakfast was nice. All in all about right for the price given the good location as not cheap this time of year.

Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed August 22, 2012

Great place everything you expect for a bed & breakfast. Was greeted by Oliver when we arrived he was really friendly and welcoming,
We booked a large double room for two nights. Room was a good size, clean with tea/coffee facilities, hair dryer, flat screen TV and iPod docking station. The bed was really comfy! I wanted to take the mattress home with me. ;-)
Information books on York were left in the room which I thought was a really nice idea because it helped plan our visit.
Breakfast was served a little bit to early for me but lots of choice was available my partner enjoyed his cooked breakfast and I had toast and yogurt.
Great location only a 10 minute walk into the town centre, friendly staff and I would definitely stay here again.
Thanks for a great stay! :-) :-)

• Stayed: August 2012
Reviewed July 17, 2012

We booked this hotel on the morning of our stay. As the sat nav wasn't familiar with the postcode we stopped and phoned for directions. The lady who answered was helpful and we arrived about 10 mins before check in time. The young man let us in and we checked in without any problems. He was very helpful and friendly and gave us a map of York,. When we got to our room we had been upgraded to a four poster room which was a lovely surprise. The room was a good size with coffee and tea facilities and complimentary biscuits. The bathroom was a bit on the small size with a toilet and shower but was manageable. Breakfast is served between 8.30 and 9.30. For this you can have cereal, yogurts, a full english or toast. A vegetarian option is also available.
The hotel is a good 15-20 minute walk from the centre if you don't walk along the river. Prob a little less if you do but not recommended in the rain! great advantage is the car park to the rear. Not available on many hotels in the centre.
The only negative was the drilling coming from the room nearby that must be being renovated. I know these places need to maintain and improve the rooms but it would've been nice to have been warned before booking the room.
Would stay again.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
TheSaxonHouse, Manager at The Saxon House, responded to this reviewResponded July 18, 2012

It was a pleasant experience reading your review thank you for the kind words, it was a pleasure to have yourselves stay with us, and we do hope that everything is sorted back home.

I apologise for the drilling, our electrician was fitting new sockets in a room on the top floor and we didn't really think the noise was a problem as he was only working whilst guests were normally out of their rooms, non the less you should have been warned we are sorry for this error.

Kindest Regards

Reviewed July 11, 2012

We stayed at the Saxon House for one night and I would not come back. The room itself was good - a spacious and nicely decorated double plus single bed as requested. The bathroom was clean with shower and bath. Cooked breakfast is only served from 8.30 to 9.30 in the morning (including on weekdays) which is very late if you have any plans before 10.00 in the morning as we did (graduation ceremony). The timing of cooked breakfast is completely inflexible. and your only option is to have bog-standard cereal and toast - not even any yogurt, fruit, croissants etc. We had also requested the night before to leave our car in the car park until 11.30am (after the graduation ceremony had ended due to limited parking at the university). The friendly girl on the front desk had said this should be possible, but she would check with her manager later that evening and get back to us if there was a problem. We heard nothing more that evening and so presumed all was fine. On arrival to the breakfast room at 07.45 the following morning, we were rudely told by the manager that it was not possible to leave the car until 11.30 and that we had to move it by 10.30. I explained that we now did not have time to move the car before the ceremony as they had not bothered to tell us this the night before - the response from the manager was extremely unhelpful and left us feeling that she really didn't care in the slightest about the situation. We were left to move the car with little time before the ceremony and as a result had an unnecessarily stressful morning. Overall a little more emphasis and effort on customer wellbeing is definitely needed at this hotel. This would cost nothing, but improve the experience dramatically.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
Management response:Responded July 12, 2012

Regarding the review you have left.

Breakfast is served at a suitable time, we received complaints regarding the time being too early so we moved it forward by half an hour, we offer a light breakfast for people who want breakfast earlier but obviously you did not appreciate this. Please also note that as a bed and breakfast we offer a different type of service from a hotel. It is unfair to complain about this especially when we had moved times to accommodate other guests.
Regarding the car park, we have a notice that states that we cannot have cars left in the car park once a guest leaves as it can pose a problem for future guests, the lady you spoke to had only just begun to work here, and was not as informed on certain things, so she did inform the manger later who waited to catch you when you returned from your evening out, we were not going to leave a note on the door as it would have probably led to a bad review regarding lack of communication.

The lady who informed you of this in the morning is not a manager, she is a member of staff who works on kitchen/housekeeping and I do offer my sincerest apologies for her attitude, I have spoken with other members of staff and am under the impression that you seemed to come off quite rude towards my staff which they should never have to be subjected to.
We are sorry that you experienced a stressful morning as a result of this but I also understand you were provided with another area in which you could possibly parked, attempting to remove the stress a bit.

Reviewed June 24, 2012

we stayed here just overnight which was just as well the young lad who showed us to our room and the lady who cooked our breakfast were friendly but the owner hardly gave you the time of day when this is your buisness i think people should put themselves out

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank flossie1953
Management response:Responded June 25, 2012

Thank you for your review.
I would like to apologise for the impression that the owner gave.
It is a family run business meaning that we are all responsible for your final opinion.
I am also upset that you consider your whole experience as unfriendly.
As the young lad I am upset to read the impression that my mum gave you.
I would like to add that sadly we have been experiencing personal problems which is hitting hard, she tries her hardest in running this business but as I am sure you are well aware it is a 24/7 business which causes tiredness, if I am corrected I had also upgraded you to another room which the owner approved this was our attempt at putting ourselves out and it seems not to have got us anywhere really.

Thank you for your review.
Oliver Steel