“Wedding weekend went very well thanks to Bowen House”
Review of Bowen House

Bowen House
Ranked #40 of 194 York B&B and Inns
Reviewed May 12, 2013

Over the weekend, my partner and I got married in York and we stayed at Bowen House, along with friends. Diane and Peter made my partner feel extremely welcomed - assisted where they could and made her wedding preparations go to plan. They really couldn't have done more to help, especially when my car broke down and they took control of the situation and arranged a local garage to do the repairs. We booked all 5 rooms for the wedding party and all guests agreed that they would stay again in the future, we are even thinking of arranging a small group weekend away in the coming months.

Both my partner and I would highly recommend Bowen House if you are looking for somewhere clean, comfortable, welcoming, convenient to York City Centre, fantastic hosts, great food, homely facilities and with car parking.

Room Tip: Room 3 is a very good size with en suite bathroom - all of the rooms have a lot of character so any...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Bowen House

Reviewed April 1, 2013

We took advantage of the 3 nights for the price of 2 offer and were not disappointed. We stayed in room 3 which I would highly recommend. We had plenty of space and a nice en suite bathroom which has shower, sink and toilet. The bathroom is entered by going down 2 or 3 stairs in the room but not a problem for us and part of the character of this kind of property. The mattress was a very soft one. Nothing was too much trouble for Diane who provided a lovely breakfast each morning and booked us a taxi at the end of our stay. We have stayed in many B&Bs and this is in my top 3.

Room Tip: Room 3 based on other travellers reviews of the other rooms
Reviewed March 19, 2013

We stayed at the Bowen House for a weekend (15-17th March) and really found it to be a lovely b&b, probably one of the cleanest b&b's we've ever stayed in. We rented two rooms, room1 which is the twin room and yes I would agree with other members that this room is not suitable for two adults as it is vey small and cramped and you have a separate bathroom down a few stairs on a short landing at the top of the main stairway.
Room 2 was our other room, and although this was much better as far as space is concerned and facilities were very good the only let down,especially if your tall & well built, is the ensuite, it is tiny to the extent that you are virtually sitting under the sink when your on the toilet.
Please do not take these view of the rooms as someone moaning they are simply the facts and everything else we experienced at the Bowen was superb, Peter & Diane run a great b&b a breakfast was a treat,and for us it is located just right a 10 min walk into the city.

Room Tip: Try to stay away from the twin room if possible if your adults,great for the kids though
Reviewed March 7, 2013

Our 3rd stay at bowen house,as aways Peter and Diane do every thing possible to make your stay perfect.Rooms lovely and clean,Breakfast choice is excellent .
location is also perfect for york centre ,and visiting surrounding areas,whitby ect .
We will be returning soon

1  Thank ginotti31
Reviewed March 1, 2013

My husband booked us in to Bowen House for 3 nights, as a surprise, to celebrate my brithday. We've had a fabulous time. Lovely comfortable room, fantastic breakfasts and friendly service.

We felt that Diane couldn't do enough for us. She even booked me a hair appointment ready for my big birthday dinner.

We stayed in room 3. We found it very comfortable, with plenty of space. We slept well our whole visit, and woke up refreshed ready for our tasty breakfast. We can't wait to return.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 24, 2013

Booked the bowen house for a couple of days for my birthday, from arriving to leaving everything perfect. Nothing too much trouble lovely clean room excellent breakfast and fantastic hosts, will definately return. Thanks..

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 23, 2013

I have just returned from my third annual trip to York and my third stay at Bowen House. I would not want to stay anywhere else and the reason for this is simple. Everything about Bowen House and the service makes my stay there special and memorable. The location is perfect for wandering into York . The facilities in the room are great, the breakfast is incredible -being vege I have a slightly different breakfast and this is never too much trouble, in fact the hosts remembered year on year that I don't eat meat, no need to remind them! The menu is comprehensive and the coffee and toast are flowing!

I have stayed in many B&Bs and what sets Bowen House apart is the friendly and approachable hosts. I will be going again next year and I cannot wait!

• Stayed: February 2013