“A warm friendly welcome, great breakfast, clean, tidy rooms and an all round thoroughly pleasant experience”
Review of Barbican House

Barbican House
Ranked #30 of 192 York B&B and Inns
Bristol
Reviewed April 23, 2010

II travelled with my elderly father to York for a nostalgic visit. We wanted somewhere close to the city centre as he is unable to walk far and I have to push him most of the time in a wheelchair. Barbican House proved to be the perfect location, just outside the city walls and within easy walking distance of all the major attractions. The staff were extremely helpful and welcoming and gave us ideas on where to eat and places to visit. They carried our cases up to our rooms and made sure that we had a convenient parking space in the car park so that my father's wheelchair could be taken in and out of the car with ease.. One of the best things for me was the fantastic breakfast, such an array of delicious foods and no skimping on the quality or quatity. Our rooms were well equipped with plenty of tea, coffee, hot chocolate, horlicks, biscuits and even sherry if you fancy the odd tipple, the beds were comfortable and the ensuite, just like the rest of the guest house was absolutely spotless. I would thoroughly recomment Barbican House to anyone else.

• Stayed April 2010
3 Thank BristolSusie

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (84)
planet Earth
Reviewed April 11, 2010

What can I say? I was utterly and completely satisfied with our stay at the Barbican House. We were meeting friends from overseas in York, and typical me, I was too slow to book at the same hotel as they, and went searching for an alternative. Finding Barbican House has reaffirmed my belief in serendipity! Anne was a wonderful hostess, welcoming us, making us comfortable, answering all our questions, recommending places to eat, and history not to miss. We were pleased by the proportions and amenities of our room, the dreaded 'Room 7' of most of these reviews. The bed was comfortable, the room and bathroom exceptionally clean. The treats on the bureau and the decanter of sherry with crystal glasses were a perfect end to a long day of travel. Yes, there were a few road noises, but what do you expect in a city? We managed a very good sleep, none the less.
The breakfast was a pleasant surprise. I am not partial to the typical English breakfast, with so much fried food and starch! I was pleased to see an artfully arranged plate of very fresh fruit and berries, with yoghurt and fresh orange juice. The toast was crunchy and brown, with lots of whole grains throughout. The speckled boiled eggs were almost too pretty to crack.
The walk into the town was short, a quick walk to Walmgate, and then a stroll along the medieval wall towards the historical attractions. We met our friends, and spent a happy 3 days visiting the historic sights and enjoying the restaurants and pubs. By the way, a MUST DO in York; take the two hour historical walk that starts at gates of the garden museum. It will put York history into perspective, and from there you can choose your favourite era to explore in more depth.
But back to the Barbican. I have travelled extensively with both work and leisure, from 5 star luxury hotels to backpacking hostels to run-of-the-mill Holiday Inns. To find a guest house that I recommend this highly, well now, that's saying something! Thank you Anne and Adrian. Your hospitality and care for your guests really makes the difference!

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
4 Thank BonnyBee
Blackwell
Reviewed March 21, 2010

Mr and Mrs Neville Cook, Blackwell, Derbyshire.

Having just returned from a weekend in York I must report on the superb Barbican House Hotel, The hosts were so friendly, the room was very comfortable complete with dvd player and a welcoming caraffe of Sherry.

The breakfast was second to none. The best fresh fruit salad I have seen. Many thanks to Adrian and Ann for their warm welcome and attention to detail throughout our stay.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
3 Thank nevillejcook
North west England
Reviewed March 13, 2010

I have just returned from my first visit to York staying at Barbican House for 3 days with a friend. We had a super stay, lovely twin bedded room,very comfortable, warm, with some nice extra little touches. The owners were away at the time but our hosts were friendly and helpful. We found the location to be ideal as everwhere was within walking distance. The breakfast had plenty of choice, I especially enjoyed the fruit selection. I would reccommend this guest house and will return again.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with friends
2 Thank Goldilocks61
Lucca, Italia
Reviewed February 27, 2010

Just... perfect! Very welcoming and friendly, great location. The best english breakfast ever tasted, since I am in UK. I would definetly come back there!!!!!

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Sumitha
Burnley, Lancashire
Reviewed January 10, 2010

I have stayed at Barbican House on more than one occasion now and I have to say that I couldn't be more pleased with it. Ann and Adrian always extend a friendly welcome and really make you feel at home. The rooms are spacious and very comfortable, with full ensuite facilities in each of the rooms that I have stayed in.

Breakfast at Barbican House is wonderful, with a good selection of cereals and fruit as well as the option of a traditional English breakfast. All the food is well cooked and incredibly tasty!

I would recommend Barbican House to anyone looking to stay in York. It is well situated - with the city centre just a few minutes walk away and ample car parking space is also provided.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled solo
3 Thank burnleyboy1984
cumbria
Reviewed December 22, 2009

i've never written on here before and probably never will again. but kinda feel obliged because the hosts were so nice.

some of the people on here must be really damn nit-picky. If you can cope with walking about 700 yards you'll be in the town centre in about 10 mins max!

Rooms extremely clean with all facilities you'd expect. host welcomed us, gave us our key, scribbled a few things on a map, pointed out the best italian restaurant and that was us sorted!

i would definatly stop there again if I was planning a trip to york

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple