“Was going to book there until”
Review of Dairy Guest House

Dairy Guest House
Ranked #56 of 194 York B&B and Inns
Reviewed February 26, 2007

I was going to book at this guest house, following the good reviews I'd read, I rang & left a message re: a booking only to be called back nearly 2 weeks later, when I mentioned this, the woman rudely informed me that it was only the day before that I'd left the message when I corrected her, she rudely said DO YOU WANT TO ROOM OR NOT! Obviously not with that sort of attitude, not my problem they can't respond to their messages promptly

Stayed: February 2007
4  Thank MelHampshire
IanKnibbs, Owner at Dairy Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded March 5, 2007

Wow! What can one say to that?

The message was 3 days old and not weeks as stated, we know this for a fact as we were preoccupied with Joanne’s’ mother who had just had a triple heart bypass.

This person was immediately hostile towards Joanne and, Yes she did ask her if she required the room or not in an attempt to stop the hostile reaction.

My wife has been upset by this review from someone who has not even stayed with us.

My view is “we have probably had a lucky escape”.

Why did she not visit our web site, check availability and book securely on-line as advised on the answer phone message?

There are newer reviews for Dairy Guest House

Reviewed December 10, 2006

we stayed at the guest house for the weekend, as soon as we arrived we received a very warm welcome, we where shown to our room which was very roomy, clean and cosy.
breakfast was very well presented and give the options of 7 menues.
ian and joanne are a very nice and polite couple.
overall we had a great weekend and certainly will return in 2007
paul and caron marsh

Stayed: December 2006
5  Thank paulm1835
Reviewed November 23, 2006

First impressions were not great. There was a baby crying in the background and I was told several times I was wrong about not being able to book one night only on line. In fact, the website does say you cannot book one night online but apparently it does let you do it. Anyhow, I decided to go ahead and book the room. I was then told to go back online and complete a form with a tickbox which said that I agreed to the terms and conditions. This I did. I then received an email (this took nearly 5 days after the original completion of the form) which I was asked to print and bring with me when checking in. By that time I was truly wondering if I really wanted to go there....

Eventually, the day had come. My friend and I went to check in at the between the allocated times (can't remember exactly but it is from sometime in the morning until 12 or between 4-6pm). We had arrived by train to York at around 12.30pm which meant that we had to leave luggage at the station at the price of £4 per piece of luggage. I had trepidations when I realised that the booking confirmation was still at the train station when we rang the door bell!

We rang and rang again and then thought that maybe it did not work. Then spotted another door bell in the middle of the entrance door. This one seemed to work and someone came to the door. We were shown round and it was all OK. The owner was very friendly and recommended a few restaurants.

Everything you could need was there. We were asked to choose a breakfast for the following day and leave the request in the dining room before 8.30pm that night. I don't mind doing that if it helps them. Tea/coffee and hot chocolate were available in the bedroom, as were two glasses for wine and a bottle opener. Biscuits and a couple of chocolates were also supplied. Hair dryer was available in the room, TV and hi-fi. Beds were comfortable and had crisp cotton sheets. Towels were a good size (bath towels rather than bath sheets which are larger).

Breakfast in the morning was plentiful with cereals and fruit as well as fruit juice. We had scrambled eggs and poached eggs on toast but you can vary the menu to make your own perfect breakfast. The eggs were really good and served on warm plates. Toast and jam were also provided. Nothing really great like home made jams but good quality jams were provided.
All in all, perfectly acceptable and friendly but somehow, never got to quite relax as I was on my guards. First impressions do last...

I believe the owners are now trying to sell the property and move to Spain. I wish them the best of luck.

• Stayed: November 2006, traveled with friends
3  Thank rotterdam0892
Reviewed November 13, 2006

Breakfast (8.30-9.15) must be ordered by 8pm the night before or you get just toast. If you smoke in the room you will be asked to leave without refund and there will be £100 cleaning charge and you get to pay the next guest's bill if they complain. No takeaway food in room, marks will be charged for. No standup showers in the bath and consequent water damage to wall and pictures will be charged for. Apart from that, a pleasant stay.

• Stayed: September 2006, traveled as a couple
2  Thank nitpicker
Reviewed September 20, 2006

My husband and I were booked for 2 nights Bed and Breakfast at the Dairy Guest House - and because the weather was so foul in Scotland, we decided to head south to York earlier than planned. Because the Horse Racing was on the Friday, everywhere was booked up, so we decided to contact the Dairy Guest House to see if they could accommodate us a such short notice. They were absolutely fantastic and extremely helpful, and before we knew it we were drawing up to the door.

The hotel looks quite small from the outside but we were pleasantly surprised when we entered the premises to this beautiful house, spotlessly clean.

Ian and Joanne were the perfect hosts, very polite and helpful and had us settled into our room in no time, with 4 poster bed no less, for our first evening and then downstairs to our original room for the other 2 nights.

The weather was fabulous and it was great being able to use the facility of not one but two outside courtyards to sit and relax with no objections to bringing your own bottle of wine. The food at breakfast time was cooked in the oven (no frying pan in this hotel) - absolutely gorgeous.

The Dairy Guest House is situated within 10 minutes walk of the centre of the City of York, with plenty of lively bars and restaurants to choose from.

This was our first time in York and to the Dairy Guest House, but we will definitely be back - Thank you Ian and Joanne for making our stay so good.

• Stayed: July 2006, traveled as a couple
5  Thank GeorgeandBarbara
Reviewed August 7, 2006

The Dairy Guest House is in a good location for exploring York. On road parking permit is provided, and if you arrive early there is a small shoppers car park about two minutes walk. Small convenience store on the corner is useful. Rooms comfortable, service and breakfast excellent.

• Stayed: July 2006, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Dave_and_Jo
Reviewed July 15, 2006

We booked this guest house after reading the recommendations on this site and were not disappointed. Lovely guest house with home from home comforts. Great breakfast and exceptionally comfy beds. The week-end we stayed had fabulous weather and we enjoyed sipping our wine in the courtyard. Ian and Joanne were exceptional hosts who provided us with all the local information required to make our visit to York a very memorable one.

• Stayed: July 2006