“Fast becoming our favourite Italian in York ! Excellent!”
Review of Caffe Dell Opera 3 - CLOSED

Caffe Dell Opera 3
Cuisines: Italian, Mediterranean
Good for: Families with children, Large groups
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Italian restaurant specialising in Sardinian Cuisine our dishes are freshly prepared in our kitchen by Sardinian Chefs using locally sourced fresh produce. Our menus change seasonally, we also have seasonal blackboard specials which change weekly, following the slow food movement We have an intimate candlelit dining area on the ground floor & a larger dining area on the first floor which is great for parties or meetings.
Reviewed February 28, 2014

Another return visit to this excellent independent,family run restaurant. Such wonderful freshly cooked food clearly using superior ingredients. with service that was perfect! Such good value too.
We are so lucky in York to have many Italian restaurants to choose from ..and we have been to many of them. This is the place we would always choose to come - as I have recommended to many friends.
Fast becoming our favourite restaurant in York !

Orsini_23, Owner at Caffe Dell Opera 3, responded to this reviewResponded March 9, 2014

Thank you so much for your excellent review We are delighted we are becoming your favourite Italian in York I am so pleased you enjoy your dining experience with us Thank you so much for recommending us to friends we are very grateful as we are still building our business & nothing is better than a personal recommendation Thank you
The team are delighted with your feedback

Reviewed February 27, 2014

Our visit a couple of nights ago was just a casual one - it was late in the evening, we were tired and feeling lazy and just needed something easy. I remembered Caffe Dell Opera just round the corner from where we were.

I had eaten here once before, soon after it first opened last year, and had found the extent of the menu surprisingly ambitious for a new and fairly small restaurant in a difficult location. In that regard it reminded me a little of my first visit to its predecessor in this building, Indochine. Nevertheless the meal I enjoyed last year was very good and that memory encouraged me to suggest trying it again.

The menu was more streamlined than before, with some lovely looking specials on the board. There was only one other couple in the restaurant but it well past any peak time and a Wednesday night. The staff were extremely personable and helpful and we were reminded of some of our best experiences of family-run Italian restaurants we have been welcomed into in the past. They are proud of the restaurant's distinctly Sardinian character and flavours, particularly in the specials, but the menu also reflects an understanding that the majority of their customers will probably just view the restaurant as being generically Italian.

The Luca Garlic Bread to start was delicious and light. When delivered it looked a bit daunting, but the pizza shaped base was very thin and delicate. For a main course, I chose the Maloreddus (Sardinian pasta) with Italian Sausage which burst with detailed flavours. The background of fennel in the sausage was combined with rosemary and tomato in the sauce to exude an immediacy and freshness, the memory of which will encourage me to return in the future. My partner chose the Tagliatelle with Smoked Salmon which she announced as the best she’d ever had – and it’s a favourite choice for her in Italian restaurants.

We finished by sharing an extremely enjoyable tiramisu. My only criticism here is that the fresh coffee beans decorating the top had absorbed moisture and become chewy and not very pleasant. Having said that, I tried all three in an attempt to distinguish whether that was the case or whether they were actually coffee bean shaped chewy sweets. Either way, this was only a tiny negative in what was otherwise a really lovely, simple and homely meal which tasted fresh and homely. It was just what we needed.

We were graciously given a complimentary Mirto Rosso (Sardinian again) and happily went on our way, talking of other people we might bring with us next time.

I wish them well. It is a difficult location for a restaurant as you need to make a conscious choice to go down King Street. I recommend that people do make that choice as they will be rewarded with a splendid meal at a very reasonable cost. This is a restaurant that deserves to be fostered as a ‘local’ and to flourish. I only hope that its location doesn’t hinder that.

1  Thank JMB_York

Thank you so much for your lovely review I am so pleased you remembered where we were when you were hungry. We have streamlined the menu as you noticed as we are concentrating on our large specials board to keep the dishes fresh & varied. You are correct King St is city centre but not on the main streets which does make it harder for diners to find us but thankfully once they do find us they return. We do still have a lot of work to do as with any new business which is why we are so grateful for your kind comments and recommendation Thank you again I hope we will see you soon

Reviewed February 26, 2014

Last night we arranged to go out for food in york and we came across the resturant on Kings Street. Number 9. Situated down one of the side streets down by the river.
We first of all noticed the traditional Italian atmoshphere and felt welcome straight away, excellent service. Delicious menu and specials to die for..we all had specials and share a lovely white wine. The service was impecable and compliments to the chef who even came to welcome us to the restaurant. 5 stars, well done guys! we will definitely come back!

Thank you so much for your excellent review I am so pleased you enjoyed your evening, The Chef is very passionate about his food & likes to check that guests are enjoying their meals, as you pointed out we do have a large specials board as we want to produce fresh food & keep the menu varied. Thank you also for your comments regarding the staff I will ensure they receive your feedback we all need praise we are very lucky to have such a great team
Wonderful to hear you will be back we look forward to welcoming you

Reviewed February 25, 2014

We visited the restaurant for a work leaving "do". The food was wonderful and the service brilliant from start to finish. The staff were very helpful and friendly. We were a fairly large, happy group and had the benefit of the upstairs of the restaurant more or less to ourselves. Apologies to the couple who were trying to have a romantic meal in the corner. I would be delighted to eat at the restaurant again.

Thank you so much for your excellent review, it was a great pleasure to have your party dine with us,you filled the restaurant with laughter which is always great The team love it when there is a buzz & you all gave us that. We look forward to welcoming you back

Reviewed February 24, 2014

At the first moment I entered Caffe Dell Opera I felt a really strong italian spirit. As a half italian I have to say, these guys managed to bring something real and uniquly italian. The first impression made me go in and have dinner. First I saw the menu, I was surprised how many local(Sardinian) specialities they have, I've choosen one of the specialities of the actual day and IT WAS DELICIOUS. I found out that they buy fresh fish every day, but it was obvious after the meal I had. I have to mention the design as well, it is getting better every single day. Lastly, upstairs while having a beautiful time you can have full sight in the kitchen so you don't even have to worry about the ingredients. As a customer, I really appriciated the kindness of staff also. Basically, this is the most italian place you can find on York. xx ( I have no idea why they have such low prices by the way, comparing to other "more fancy" places )

Thank you so much for your excellent review, I am so pleased you enjoyed your evening, our Chefs take great pride in the food they produce & we are very lucky to have such great staff which you picked up on
I hope you will continue to dine with us