“Great value for money”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of The Postern Gate

The Postern Gate
Ranked #127 of 860 Restaurants in York
Cuisines: Bar, British, Pub, International
Good for: Large groups, Dining on a budget, Scenic view, Bar scene, Families with children, Kids
Dining options: Brunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Nelson, Lancashire
“Great value for money”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 9, 2013

We stayed two nights at the adjoining Travelodge. We ate at Wetherspoons the first night and both had the Burger and Chips. The burger was very tasty and not at all fatty. The next morning we went for breakfast and I had the full english.!At £5 I was quite disappointed. It was barely warm and the fried egg was stone cold. We used the bar on the second night (Monday) and I found Ruddles the cheapest pint at £1.99p. It was fabulous. Tasty and kept its head all the way down the glass. Sandra my wife had several glasses of Pino which she found delicious.Definitely will visit Wetherspoons again on our next visit.

• Visited November 2013

Darlington, England
“Good value for simple food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 30, 2013

If you are wanting a value snack this is the place. The place lacks atmosphere and seemed very busy when we visited on a Tuesday afternoon. You get what you pay for and if you want a reasonable snack in York go here. Don't expect to be startled but the fayre is ok and does the job.

• Visited October 2013
Leeds, United Kingdom
“Little disappointed.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 21, 2013 via mobile

Was a little disappointed with this Wetherspoons.

The family area we were sat in was too dark to see what we were eating, and food could have been warmer.

Customer service could have been better too.

Chesterfield, United Kingdom
“Friendly service from vibrant youthful staff”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 20, 2013

I spent 6 hours in this extremely busy pub this Sunday afternoon. I'm not saying the food is 'cordon bleu' or anything, but as pub grub it was perfectly satisfactory. I had the gourmet burger for lunch which was served promptly and was excellent value as was the beer. You order at the bar and the food is delivered to your numbered table. The staff were vibrant and friendly and I was especially impressed with Beth and Emma.

• Visited October 2013
Blackburn, United Kingdom
“Rude staff. Badly cooked food. Need I go on. ”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 16, 2013 via mobile

Exceptionally rude staff arguing behind the bar and being very snappy to me and other customers. Very slow service despite not being very busy. Tables left uncleared for over 30 minutes even though over half the restaurant was empty. To top it off the duty manager shouting at the staff behind the bar threatening to close the pub.
The meals when we finally got them were dreadful. A steak ordered "rare" would have been less cooked in a crematorium and a chicken burger somehow still bleeding but exceptionally dry.
Probably won't be visiting again soon. It's just a shame I couldn't rate this place worse than terrible.