“Fantastic end to the day after the races!!!”

Cote Brasserie - York
Ranked #48 of 874 Restaurants in York
Cuisines: French
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Our inspiration for the food and design of Cote is a modern interpretation of the many famous bistros of Paris. Inspired by new trends, we are dedicated to serving authentic classic brasserie dishes with a modern twist, using high quality produce at great prices. On the menu, guests will always find brasserie favourites on our a la carte menu such as steak frites, moules marinieres, corn-fed chicken from rural Brittany and tuna Nicoise, for dessert, Cote's creme caramel and creme brulee are much-loved house specialities. Seasonality and Cote's commitment to sourcing high-quality ingredients results in a monthly changing specials menu, ensuring there is always something new to delight regular guests and gastronomes alike, as well as the excellent value set menu. Open early every day for breakfast, through to lunch and dinner; Cote's atmosphere is informal and friendly
Nottingham, United Kingdom
“Fantastic end to the day after the races!!!”
Reviewed June 15, 2014

I highly recommend Cotes for a meal. This was our 2nd visit in 6 months and will be back soon. We had been to the races and booked a table at 7.30. The staff couldn't do enough for us. We all had steak and it was one of the best I have had in a long time. I could not pick any faults with the food and it is really reasonably priced.

• Visited June 2014
1 Thank Louise H

Hong Kong
“Good food and friendly service”
Reviewed June 14, 2014

We were there for two consecutive evenings. In the first night, we chose from the early evening menu, which was of excellent value. The steak frites and asparagus hollandiase soup tasted really good. In the second night, I ordered the same soup (because it was really good) and had duck confit from the a la carte menu, which was also very good.

Visited June 2014
york, england
“Good food, friendly service”
Reviewed June 8, 2014 via mobile

This is more like it. 'French' cooking in convivial surroundings with friendly, sparky service. You need to book as busy times but it really is worth it.

Visited June 2014
York, United Kingdom
“Confusing experience!”
Reviewed June 4, 2014 via mobile

My friend and I were greeted by a lovely hostess who saw us to a table promptly. Our waiter was straight over, seemed like he might be new to waitering as he came across slightly over the top and insincere, however it was endearing and nice that he wanted to make an impression.
Small talk and order taken quickly, starter arrived before our drinks but they shortly followed, our main courses also arrived before we'd finished our starter and felt a bit rushed, timing issues need ironing out for sure.
We finished our meal and were subsequently ignored for about 40 minutes sat with our empty plates in front of us.
A different waiter cleared the table next to us and accidentally took our half full bottle of prosecco (or the French equivalent) away whilst doing it, I'm sure this was indeed an accident but seemed foolish when the table next to us had been empty since we arrived and we were quite clearly drinking sparking wine on our table, foolish mistake.
I attempted to get someone's attention to explain what had happened but to no avail. We had wanted deserts but then decided we would just get our bottle back, finish that and leave however after the long wait with dirty plates, empty glasses and no service we just wanted to cut our losses and leave.
I went back to the front of house and briefly explained to the woman who greeted us what had happened and that we just wanted to pay and leave. Her immediate response was that we wouldn't be paying and she was very apologetic. I insisted we would pay if she could just change our bottle for two glasses (all we drank) on our bill that would be more than enough. She brought the bill over immediately and apologised again and had taken our starters and drinks off our bill completely.
A good resolve although I didn't complain to get money off or a free dinner, would have much preferred to finish our bottle, have deserts and probably coffees instead so still left feeling disappointed which is a shame. Damage control was faultless but it would be better if there was no damage to control!
Felt like getting everything out was a rushed priority and then felt like a 'leave them to it' attitude is applied. The sections each waiter has are not very big and it wasn't particularly busy so can't help feeling there was no excuse.
Whilst the 12.5% service charge wasn't added to our bill following the issue (I assume) I had spotted on the menu that there would be one added. 12.5% is above the usual 10% in England which I found very cheeky, especially when the service given, in my opinion, is below the usual standard.
I wouldn't go back or recommend to my friends. Shame really.

1 Thank Y1988
York, United Kingdom
“12.5% added to bill without explanation”
Reviewed June 3, 2014

The bill was brought over and the waitress/waiter did not point out or explain the 12.5% service charge on top added to the final bill.

We tipped on top in cash, generously, for a nice meal and okay service... Later to realise we have in fact tipped twice.

I'm guessing they hope you either;

A/ Don't notice (like me)
B/ To proud to ask for it to be taken off

If I am honest, I feel cheated. Result - they have gained 12.5% on one bill and lost a customer + referrals.

• Visited June 2014