“Warm welcome .”

Dining options: Breakfast
Eire
“Warm welcome .”
Reviewed August 22, 2014

We were looking for some coffee and cake and came across Belles Bouffe .We were made welcome and enjoyed good quality coffee and tasty cookies and a GF muffin .Good service and food.

• Visited August 2014

United Kingdom
“Fantastic breakfast”
Reviewed August 22, 2014

Really good breakfast if a little expensive. Quality ingredients, superb service and lovely chat with the owner.
Can't recommend enough if you need a great breakfast and don't mind spending a little more.

Visited August 2014
“Just Terrible”
Reviewed August 8, 2014

The staff weren't nice at all towards us. She was quite hesitant to come and serve us. It took them 15 minutes to come to us even though there were only 2 people in there and they were already eating! At the end, we ended up leaving because the lady just really made us quite irritated and upset.

• Visited August 2014
6 Thank Steffbenny
“The worst service I/we have ever received!”
Reviewed June 16, 2014

I don't even know where to start! I would not normally write such a negative review but I feel like I have no choice as this was the worst experience of service I/we have ever received! Nine of us separately arrived for breakfast, we ordered breakfast and one of our party ordered a coffee. She tasted the coffee to find it was cold and had a very bitter after taste. She asked for a second opinion from myself as she admitted that she hates to complain about anything and wanted to be sure that it wasn't just her, I confirmed that the coffee was indeed cold and had a very odd taste. She very politely asked the waitress if she would be able to have a pot of tea instead as she did not like the coffee, the waitress glared at her before walking away where we could see her talking to a lady (who we presume was the owner) before returning a minute later to ask again why she was being asked to replace it. My friend again repeated politely that unfortunately the taste of the coffee was not to her liking and before being able to add that it was also cold, the waitress replied in a unnecessarily rude manner 'well it’s clear that you obviously have a problem with our choice of coffee beans.’ The waitress replaced the coffee with a pot of tea which she literally banged on the table without so much as a word, none of us could believe this attitude! After breakfast was delivered, the waitress made a point of asking individually everyone except my friend how their breakfast was before scowling at my friend and walking off. My friend who ordered the coffee decided to leave early and head home due to the frosty atmosphere in the café!! We now wish we had too at this point!

I admittedly had a headache as I had been out the night before celebrating my hen party so I took a paracetamol washed down by a sip of water from a bottle that I had. After taking a sip of water (which was all that was left in the bottle) and putting the bottle back into my bag I looked up to see the 'owner' pointing at us from across the cafe, the waitress marched over and said 'I have been told to tell you that you are not allowed to have any drinks that have not been bought on the premises, you need to throw that away now!' I couldn't believe that after nine people had bought both drinks and food here that I was being told off for having one small sip of water. I decided to let it go and commented that the bottle was empty and was now in my bag. At the same time a couple walked in and after hearing this comment made by the waitress and the manner in which it was said, expressed their shock and turned around and walked back out.

The food wasn't great, the toast was hard and dry and the scrambled egg was rubbery. However we decided to keep these thoughts to ourselves not wanting a repeat of the previous incident. When the time came to pay; myself and my mum went up and asked to pay for our and our friends' bill. The waitress instantly replied that it was £20.50. We paid but then the waitress replied to my others friends bill with 'oh it’s around £7.50 or something', which my friend questioned as she had calculated it to be less (and was indeed told that it was less than this once it was properly worked out). I decided to ask if we could possibly have a breakdown of the bill as I did not feel confident with the way the bill was being worked out. The waitress wrote the items down separately and showed me the bill, whilst we were looking at it together, the owner shouted over in an extremely rude manner 'You have to pay for the coffee as it’s not our fault that you have a fussy friend!' At this point we had not made any comment what so ever about any of the service that we had received and I was surprised and taken aback that the first point of direct contact from the owner was a rude comment, criticising my friend who was not there to defend herself. I replied saying 'I have to admit that comment was rude and unnecessary I am a little surprised that we are paying for the coffee as we were not informed that we would have to do this at the time, only one sip of the coffee was drunk and 9 of us have eaten and drunk here.' The waitress replied 'we are out of pocket because she didn't drink it, do you think that's fair on us?' I commented that they were unlikely to be £2.50 out of pocket and that we would expect that as a gesture of good will that the coffee would either not be included on the bill / charged at cost price or that we were at least informed at the time that we would have to pay for the coffee so that my friend knew how much money to leave. I received another rude response from the owner, which we were all shocked and appalled at.
I asked the waitress to double check the bill, she sighed, getting a calculator out and found that she had charged us 50p too much (on top of the £2.50 coffee). Now normally I would have laughed my maths off and gone 'oops look at me making all that fuss when it’s only 50p, obviously just keep it.' But feeling already put out by the rudeness and the fact that as soon as the calculator showed that we were ever so slightly overcharged the waitress exclaimed 'oh wow we over charged you 50p' and rolled her eyes. I replied with 'It doesn’t seem fair that you can overcharged us and still see fit to make us feel like we are in the wrong, and I don't understand how you can be so openly rude and confrontational when you have obviously made a mistake. It’s not the amount or the fact that you made a mistake that matters, it’s your attitude and the fact that no apology has been offered' The waitress sarcastically replied 'I am ever ever so sorry that we have overcharged you a whole 50p! I will make sure that this never happens again and thank you so much for your feedback, would you like to keep your receipt as a memento of this? And here is your 50p, make sure you keep it safe' We were all so appalled and just decided to cut our losses and leave the café as soon as we could!

I and the rest of the party are not confrontational people but we felt victimised and like we had to defend ourselves (and an absent friend) against the service we received. After leaving the cafe we repeated our story to others members of our party who had left earlier and said that they had experienced a rude encounter with the 'owner' as well who demanded that they move their luggage after watching them spend 5 minutes arranging it. I would advise that you seriously stay away from this place if you do not want to feel victimised, uncomfortable and astounded by how rude the staff are!

• Visited June 2014
20 Thank beccac122
York, United Kingdom
“A lovely place for coffee, food and wine!”
Reviewed June 12, 2014

Belle's Bouffe deserves to be one of the top rated bistro's in York. The food is freshly made and totally delicious. The service is excellent. The ambience is very laid back and in the early evening, when open as a wine bar the place comes alive with a buzz. Its close to the Minster, the theatre and the wonderful independent eating/shopping area of Gillygate. For locals and visitors alike. You must drop by, you'll be hooked!

• Visited June 2014