“worth a visit” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Krakatoa - CLOSED

Krakatoa
Cuisines: Asian, Indonesian
Good for: Special occasions, Business meetings, Families with children, Large groups, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Dinner, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Delivery, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff
Description: Dinner service runs from 5pm, until last orders at 10pm, Tuesday to Saturday. Close at 11pm. Takeaway available during service hours. Reservations welcome. Lunch parties considered for groups of 12+. We are a 55 seat family run restaurant (35 down/ 20 up). Krakatoa Room seats 20+. Available for group hire. We are 5 mins from the railway station and 2 mins from the bus station. Within 5 mins of all major office centres. A secret oasis with beautiful views. Hand painted interior mural, batiks, paintings and photos by artist Tim Potter (all available for sale).Falling distance form Cedar Court Grand Hotel and the Hampton by Hilton Hotel. We are fully licensed from 5pm. We do not serve the seriously intoxicated. All food is scratch made and no msg in any dish. Many vegetarian and gluten free options. Many mild and savoury dishes available. If you like it hot, add your own sambal (secret family recipe chilli paste) until the spice/ heat ratio is right for you. Rica-Rica available for 'heat-seekers.' Incredibly moreish. The kitchen is knocking it out of the park.Hope to see you soon. X
Mold, United Kingdom
“worth a visit”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 29, 2013

Tthis small restraunt [ asian/ indonesian ] had only been opened for 7 weeks when we visited. The food was really, really good. We selected the set price lunch - £9 for 2 courses. We had vegetable spring rolls for starter and indonesian salad for main. Both beautifully cooked. Please try it, I hope you enjoy it as much as we did.

Visited June 2013

• Chinese (Traditional) first
York, United Kingdom
“Superb Authentic Indonesian Food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 26, 2013

Just had a fantastic meal with my wife at Krakatoa. The food and the service were excellent. I had initially popped in on a lunch time because my son was doing a project on Indonesia. The owners couldn't have been more warm and friendly and gave their time generously to answer questions about the country, it's culture and food. My son and I had a mild chicken curry Iunch box which was tasty and good value at £5.

I returned with my wife for an evening meal and the food was gorgeous and worth every penny!

2 Thank Daniel C
York
“Great find”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 24, 2013

We had a wonderful evening of Indonesian food. Situated next to the Ceder Court Hotel, it is full of food delights, including the homemade chili sauce and the Chicken Rendang (which is a personal favorite).

We really enjoyed our food, and although the service could have been a little more efficient, the staff made up for it in friendliness. We could not fault them on their food and will not hesitate on coming back.
A slight warning - the food is spicy. We like that, and it is authentic Indonesian food, but not for those who hate spice.

1 Thank ChecklistCharlie
YORK
“Amazing!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 21, 2013

I had been looking for somewhere new to eat, when I stumbled upon Krakatoa on trip advisor. I have no idea where the the people with the bad reviews were eating, but it clearly wasn't the same restaurant I visited! The food here is amazing, I could not fault it at all. Everything we ate tasted so fragrant and light. Similarly, the service was prompt and the staff were all very friendly. I will definitely be back, there is so much on the menu I want to try, and it is very good value for money.

I have one thing to say to people who may give bad reviews. This place is Indonesian, that means the food will not be bland, it will have some spice, if you don't like spice, don't eat here and give bad reviews, simple!

5 Thank yorkstudent12
Shrewsbury, United Kingdom
“Good Food. Amateur Service.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 20, 2013 via mobile

When I spoke to the owner he was surprised at the sudden surge if positive reviews on Tripadvisor within a few weeks of them opening. I think there have been some 'ghost' reviews done to bump up the ratings.

The food was interesting and made a pleasant change from the normal range of cuisines on offer in big towns and cities. Unfortunately, the two staff on call were woefully unskilled at waiting on. They buzzed about with smiling faces but friendliness counts for little if you have to wait for ages to get your food or a drink refill.

All in all, it was a good experience but that had as much to do with the good company I was in as the food and the service. It wasn't good enough for a return visit if we go back to York. However, as a one off, it's worth a visit.

• 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank PaddyPaws888
Krakatoa Y, Owner at Krakatoa, responded to this review, June 22, 2013
Sir, we are very sorry that you found our service lacking. We appreciate that we had some service issues early on, as we went from very quiet, to very busy, in a very short space of time. We are still only six weeks old and scratch make every dish, so yes, when busy, there can sometimes be delays in service. It is only unfortunate that you interpreted my expression of honest surprise at the speed of our ascendency as some sort of admission that we have posted fraudulent reviews.
So, I must take umbridge with your semi-libellous accusation that we have 'ghost' written reviews to bump us up the rankings. This is not only utterly inaccurate, but insulting to those people who were kind enough to post positive experiences. You did not enjoy the Krakatoa dining experience but awarded four stars. Would it not therefore be logical to assume that those who have enjoyed the experience would legitimately award five stars? We would welcome any investigation into the reviews posted so far as there can only be one outcome - total vindication of their authenticity. Should you return to eat again you will find the same, friendly, relaxing environment as last time, only with improved service, better facilities, and more complete decoration. X