“Believe the hype!”

Krakatoa
Cuisines: Indonesian
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Dinner service runs from 5pm, until last orders at 10pm, Tuesday to Saturday. Close at 11pm. Takeaway available during service hours. Reservations welcome. Lunch parties considered for groups of 12+. We are a 55 seat family run restaurant (35 down/ 20 up). Krakatoa Room seats 20+. Available for group hire. We are 5 mins from the railway station and 2 mins from the bus station. Within 5 mins of all major office centres. A secret oasis with beautiful views. Hand painted interior mural, batiks, paintings and photos by artist Tim Potter (all available for sale).Falling distance form Cedar Court Grand Hotel and the Hampton by Hilton Hotel. We are fully licensed from 5pm. We do not serve the seriously intoxicated. All food is scratch made and no msg in any dish. Many vegetarian and gluten free options. Many mild and savoury dishes available. If you like it hot, add your own sambal (secret family recipe chilli paste) until the spice/ heat ratio is right for you. Rica-Rica available for 'heat-seekers.' Incredibly moreish. The kitchen is knocking it out of the park.Hope to see you soon. X
Reviewed May 29, 2013

A small group of us popped in to Krakatoa this afternoon after hearing great things about this new and hidden gem.

It's a cosy little restaurant; simple and very neat and clean - just a few minutes walk from York station and a stones throw from my place of work.

I chose from the set lunch menu which offers a starter, main and jasmine rice for £9.50 - which is amazingly good value for what really was some of the tastiest, fresh and authentic food I've eaten out for some time. In fact, it was so good I'm heading back next week with some colleagues so I can try something else on the menu :)

1  Thank SDLomax

Reviewed May 29, 2013

Super meal - never had Indonesian food before, but really liked it. Starter great, Gada Gada salad a little sweet for me, but really good otherwise. Red wine terrible (Gallo) - have beer; but the waiter does warn you. Can't wait to go back for their delicious-sounding breakfasts.

1  Thank jonathanpym
Reviewed May 29, 2013

We had a girls catch up night planned and decided to head for newly opened Krakatoa and we're so glad we did, a lovely warm welcome and relaxed ambience plus food that was almost too good for words! To start with, we shared a platter between 5 of us and there was plenty for all and a lovely mix of flavours, each of the elements was great, really light and fresh. The main courses were just as sublime as the starters, a great mix of flavours and the right amount of heat, and the portions so generous that we were unable to fit in a dessert.. definitely worth another visit just to try them! We shared 2 rice plus crackers between 5 and there was plenty for us all and all at purse / wallet friendly prices. We'll definitely be booking again, spread the word.. this is a great restaurant with incredible food and great hosts.

Reviewed May 29, 2013

Having heard good things about this restaurant, I called in with a group of friends mid-week to see what all the fuss was about. What a gem! We weren't disappointed. The restaurant has a lovely relaxed atmosphere and we arrived to a very warm welcome from the staff. We chose the sharing platter as a starter which was delicious, followed by a different dish each so that we could all try a bit of each others! We had a mix of chicken, beef and vegetable dishes which were all fabulous, freshly prepared Indonesian food. Excellent value for money. I would definitely recommend this restaurant to anyone and will be telling everybody I know!

Reviewed May 28, 2013 via mobile

We have been staying in York for a few days and this restaurant was right near our hotel. We kept walking past it and thought it looked interesting then we read the great reviews and thought we'd take the plunge! We got a very friendly welcome with our two children and the kids were able to share a starter, main and dessert. Food was delicious! I had prawns to start and husband had chicken satay. Then I had the duck dish with noodles and husband had a chicken curry: hot but gorgeous! There were a variety of interesting desserts but we had ice cream. The flavours were divine, I had ginger and coconut and rose and papaya! All in all the meal was great. If I could give any constructive feedback it would be to stock some better wine (the house wine offered is a sweet one and the other wines are all Chardonnay, so we got some prosecco). A Pinot or Sauvignon Blanc would be popular. Nevertheless I thoroughly recommend!

2  Thank eaamey