“Amazing Indonesian Restaurant in York!!”
Review of Krakatoa - CLOSED

Krakatoa
Cuisines: Indonesian
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Dinner service runs from 5pm, until last orders at 10pm, Tuesday to Saturday. Close at 11pm. Takeaway available during service hours. Reservations welcome. Lunch parties considered for groups of 12+. We are a 55 seat family run restaurant (35 down/ 20 up). Krakatoa Room seats 20+. Available for group hire. We are 5 mins from the railway station and 2 mins from the bus station. Within 5 mins of all major office centres. A secret oasis with beautiful views. Hand painted interior mural, batiks, paintings and photos by artist Tim Potter (all available for sale).Falling distance form Cedar Court Grand Hotel and the Hampton by Hilton Hotel. We are fully licensed from 5pm. We do not serve the seriously intoxicated. All food is scratch made and no msg in any dish. Many vegetarian and gluten free options. Many mild and savoury dishes available. If you like it hot, add your own sambal (secret family recipe chilli paste) until the spice/ heat ratio is right for you. Rica-Rica available for 'heat-seekers.' Incredibly moreish. The kitchen is knocking it out of the park.Hope to see you soon. X
Reviewed May 15, 2013

My husband and I took our kids and their friend to Krakatoa for dinner. At first we weren't 100% sure what the kids will think, as they have never had any Indonesian food before. All three of them enjoyed the food and tried everything that was served that night. Seeing them getting 2nd helping and 3rd helping (our son), we knew they really loved the food. My husband and I enjoyed the "Super Spicy Pork" and "Curry Chicken Soup". They were absolutely amazing! We can't wait to go back again this weekend. Krakatoa York, thank you so much for bringing "extra spice" to our life.

3  Thank CatherineMee

Reviewed May 15, 2013

Had a fantastic evening at Krakatoa, York. The food was simply amazing. I've lived in Indonesia and throughout S.E. Asia and still miss the food and the warmth of the people. Krakatoa brought all those good memories flooding back - excellent food served by lovely and enthusiastic staff in this family-run restaurant. And all great value. As a previous reviewer mentioned, the choice of decent music adds to the atmosphere. And Tim, the husband of the Indonesian chef, even has his art on the walls, which gives great personal character to the place. This is no faceless chain. Do yourself a favour and pay a visit. Whenever I'm back in York, I certainly will. Thank you to Deeche and Tim and all the staff. You made an ex-expat very happy!

1  Thank Adrian S
Reviewed May 14, 2013

Was passing by that restaurant several times and finally yesterday decided to give it a try. As we entered with couple of friends, we were warmly welcome by a waitress (actually sister of the owner) who was really friendly. Food was just gorgeous. I ordered ikan rica-rica which was great and I would recommend it to everyone who likes spicy fishy food. Definitely will return to that authentic Indonesian restaurant.

Reviewed May 12, 2013

I went to celebrate my birthday with my friends and we were totally surprised with a warm welcome and a perfect atmosphere in which we enjoyed our evening. The food was absolutely perfect, full of flavour and a perfect balance of spices. I enjoyed every bite! Throughout our evening the service was fantastic, everyone was full of energy and genuinely happy. Our waiters were outstanding, everything was set to be perfect and always with a smile for us. The restaurant is beautifully and brightly decorated, a lot of style and artwork. To end our wonderful night, the staff were kind enough to bring a cake and all sang happy birthday, I recommend it to everyone ..!

1  Thank Mireya Y
Reviewed May 10, 2013

A friend and I were treated to a delightful lunch experince today at Krakatoa, York's new Indonesian restaurant. On arrival were were met by a very obliging waiter who was chatty and gave the impresion that he was happy in his work. The restaurant though admittedly quiet, was tasefully decorated, very clean and the atmospheric though not overbearing music was a great touch. When the food arrived it was excellent, well presented and delicately flavoured, afterwards I felt very well satisfied though not overwhelmed. As I mentioned,Krakatoa was quiet today when we visited but I can't imagine it remaining so once word gets out and I have no doubt that I will be returning in the near future. Andy Mitchell, York

2  Thank Andy M