“Great place and great food.”
Review of The Whippet Inn

The Whippet Inn
Ranked #28 of 916 Restaurants in York
Cuisines: Seafood, Steakhouse, British
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Delivery, Private Dining, Reservations
Description: Welcome to the Whippet Inn, York's best Steak and Alehouse. We have now been open for just over 3 years and very proud to have marked the occasion by winning 'Best Restaurant ' in the Visit York Tourism Awards for the second time in 2016. Over the years we have raised a few eyebrows with our name, and many have said that our interior is certainly quirky if not a little risqué, all of which we love as we want to be unique and fun. When it comes to the food and drinks we serve however; we are very serious... When we set about creating The Whippet Inn our main aim was to get the best food produce we could find in Yorkshire and then pair it with real ales, lagers, spirits and wines from around Great Britain. Fantastic beef is our thing, offering you a huge range of breeds, cuts & ageing. Our A la carte menu has a huge variety of meat, fish & vegetarian dishes- so there is really something for everyone! We are open from Midday everyday serving our lunch & a lite bite menu alongside the A la carte or Sunday Menu. Our bar is an eclectic mix of Real Yorkshire Ales - right through to over 40 different gins- we maybe small but we have used every nook and cranny to ensure we have an amazing range to offer our quests. All this is delivered with down to earth homely Yorkshire hospitality. Our home from home is adult dining only, so we do hope that if you have children & find yourself with a babysitter for the night- you will take the chance to come & join us!
Reviewed January 12, 2014

Me and my girlfriend visited The Whippet Inn a short time after they opened so I could not find that many reviews of it online but we took the chance and I sure don’t regret doing it cause I can hands down say that I never have been served a better stake when dining out. The staff was friendly and we received excellent service since we where there on a really quiet night, just us and two other couples. The only negative I have to say about this place (and for many other places in the UK) is that the music they were playing was a little bit loud. Other than that I would not hesitate going back.

Reviewed January 11, 2014 via mobile

Took my team here on thursday. Great venue, amazing service and wonderfull food. Our waiter showed passion and great knowledge about the menu and got into the swing of our party. The place was also really busy for a thursday in jan with a private function also sounding like they where having a great time in their own room. Cant wait to go back.

Reviewed January 11, 2014 via mobile

My partner and our friends visited here for the first time last night we will definately be returning ! The food was gorgeous and the service was excellent they have definately got it right there with top class staff and nothing was to much trouble. They Take time and care to explain the menu to you and the food was lovely I can't wait to go back again.

Reviewed January 8, 2014

The Whippet Inn was the most delicious, fairly priced and well staffed restaurant we've come across so far in York. The food was absolutely delicious (we had salt and pepper squid, the Soup of the Day (winter vegetables) and the Fish Pie all of which was presented beautifully and tasted incredible). The service was absolutely excellent. Our waiter(s) all were incredibly friendly, helpful and accommodating which made even better an already wonderful experience. If you're still not convinced our bill (for two) came to around £25 - outstanding value for an outstanding meal. Overall, 10/10 and I would most definitely recommend the Whippet Inn to anyone visiting York. Really excellent.

1  Thank Molly O
Reviewed January 7, 2014

My wife and I ate here on our weekend away to York and we're very happy we chose to eat here. The place itself is modern pub come restaurant with a small intimate dining room and separate bar area. Service from all staff was attentive and friendly, all knowledgeable about the food and drink they were serving. The food was wonderful as well. We both chose the 40 day aged rib eye, both were cooked perfectly (rare and medium respectively). The highlight for me however was the scallop starter - probably the best cooked scallops I've ever had, they melted in the mouth.

Only criticisms (and I really am nit picking now) is I would have liked a kick from the horseradish sauce the scallops were served on (was more creamy) and I would have liked the salad that came with the steaks to be dressed.

Wouldn't hesitate to eat here again on my next visit to York.

PS - it isn't hard to find but you can't see it from the main road. I would recommend using the post code and a map app to find it.

1  Thank DavidandHollyDurham