“Worth seeking out.”
Review of The Whippet Inn

The Whippet Inn
Ranked #69 of 944 Restaurants in York
Cuisines: Seafood, Steakhouse, British
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Delivery, Private Dining, Reservations
Description: Welcome to the Whippet Inn, York's best Steak and Alehouse. We have now been open for just over 3 years and very proud to have marked the occasion by winning 'Best Restaurant ' in the Visit York Tourism Awards for the second time in 2016. Over the years we have raised a few eyebrows with our name, and many have said that our interior is certainly quirky if not a little risqué, all of which we love as we want to be unique and fun. When it comes to the food and drinks we serve however; we are very serious... When we set about creating The Whippet Inn our main aim was to get the best food produce we could find in Yorkshire and then pair it with real ales, lagers, spirits and wines from around Great Britain. Fantastic beef is our thing, offering you a huge range of breeds, cuts & ageing. Our A la carte menu has a huge variety of meat, fish & vegetarian dishes- so there is really something for everyone! We are open from Midday everyday serving our lunch & a lite bite menu alongside the A la carte or Sunday Menu. Our bar is an eclectic mix of Real Yorkshire Ales - right through to over 40 different gins- we maybe small but we have used every nook and cranny to ensure we have an amazing range to offer our quests. All this is delivered with down to earth homely Yorkshire hospitality. Our home from home is adult dining only, so we do hope that if you have children & find yourself with a babysitter for the night- you will take the chance to come & join us!
Reviewed October 4, 2013

I can remember when the Whippit Inn was the Tap and Spile pub. It has certainly changed for the better. We had reserved a table for a Wednesday evening and when we arrived the restaurant was busy and our table in the corner was ready. The scallop and chorizo starter was excellent with the sharpness of the pear offsetting the saltiness of the chorizo. I had the 40 day fillet steak which was served rare as asked for. The meat was exceptionally tender and a joy to eat. For the quality of the food and the atmosphere the Whippit Inn represents value for money and I shall visit again next time I am in York.

1  Thank Trencherman101
Write a ReviewReviews (2,145)

Reviewed October 2, 2013

Saturday lunch time treat - had 'The Dogs' Beef burger - best beef burger ever and the sauce was to die for, I had blue cheese and my husband whiskey with mushrooms. Great ambiance, staff great and extremely knowledgeable not only about the food but the beer (all important in Yorkshire). My husband liked the beer and the glass it was served in and asked if he could buy the glass - he was delighted to be given a glass with the compliments of the house. We've booked a table for dinner near Christmas, I'm sure once word it out reservations will be hard to come by.

Reviewed October 2, 2013 via mobile

We've wanted to try this for a while, and today we got the chance.
Lovely decor, excellent wine, list and a menu to die for.
We thoroughly enjoyed our food, and its the first time I've totally cleared my plate in ages !
Give it a go folks its lovely,we went on a lunch time, but I reckon you'd needed to book on an evening.

Reviewed October 2, 2013 via mobile

We booked the whippet several months ago to celebrate our wedding.
We actually got married in Malta 3 weeks ago.
We wanted to re-create the wedding evening in style... And the whippet was our only choice.
From the first conversation with the management to the execution of the evening... They "The Whippet" were extreamly professional.
The staff as always were first class.
The food was excellent.
All of our 120 guests had a truly great evening.
My wife and I cannot speak highly enough of this place.
Thank you to all of the team at the whippet for making our UK wedding evening a wonderful experience.
Would never hesitate to recommend "The Whippet"☺️

1  Thank Cew73
Reviewed October 1, 2013

Had a great meal here, the 40day old T-bone steak was amazing. Had the white baud for starter which was also excellent. Can't fault this restraunt. All staff were friendly and seemed to enjoy their jobs and took pride in customer service.