Tripadvisor
York

“Lovely pub, ideal for families”
Review of The Old White Swan

The Old White Swan
Reserve a Table
DesignMyNight
Ranked #236 of 1,036 Restaurants in York
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: You will find The Old White Swan in Goodramgate York within a short stroll of York Minster, Parliament Square and Deangate - however you won't find another like it.Step in to discover a traditional pub of unique character, revered for its eclectic range of real ales and its quality pub food, which are served, as they should be, with a generous measure of famous British hospitality.The Old White Swan is one of many rare gems in the Nicholson's collection of great British pubs, reputed for their distinctive buildings, intriguing history and vibrant atmosphere.The pub has an external, covered courtyard which is very dog friendly. There is also an external smoking area at the back.
Reviewed January 20, 2020

We were there for lunch, seven adults and two young toddlers. The pub is beautiful, old and cozy, the fire was blazing in the fireplaces (there is also a lovely area outside if the weather is good). We had delicious pies and good beer and children could move without anybody bothering. A very pleasant meal.

Date of visit: January 2020
GeneralManagerAA, Owner at The Old White Swan, responded to this reviewResponded 4 weeks ago

Hi Laura,

It is fantastic to hear you had such a lovely time, we pride ourselves on our aesthetic and child-friendly atmosphere so this is great to hear.

Thank you very much for your kind words, and we hope to see you again soon!

Kind Regards,
The OWS Team

Write a reviewReviews (1,023)

Reviewed January 13, 2020

I’ve often popped into The Old White Swan for a drink, but for once I decided to eat. I ordered soup and as I have coeliac disease they server double checked it was gluten free for me. When it arrived they had put gluten free bread on the plate as well, all in its wrapping so no cross contamination. It was a great surprise, so I’d definitely recommend them!

Date of visit: January 2020
GeneralManagerAA, Owner at The Old White Swan, responded to this reviewResponded 6 days ago

Hi,

Its fantastic to read this great review, I am pleased to see that my team have delivereda good experience for you. We hope to see you again soon.

Many Thanks
The OWS team.

Reviewed January 13, 2020

The Old White Swan remains a personal favourite of ours and I definitely recommend this as a ' MUST ' visit pub whilst staying in York. The building has lots of history, character and atmosphere, sells a great selection of beers Including my favourite of Hop House 13. Good bar service.

Reviewed January 11, 2020 via mobile

Shocking service from a miserable, arrogant guy serving drinks. Rude and obnoxious. Could barely open his mouth to speak never mind crack a smile. Should not be allowed front of house. Doubt I’ll be back

1  Thank 112annemariem
Reviewed January 10, 2020

Popped in for a drink, didn't stay for food but the staff were lovely, the pub was warm and we loved the age and decor of the building. Made ourselves comfy and stayed for a few rounds. Lovely way to spend a chilly afternoon.