“Amazing!”

Luxury Ice Cream Co
Ranked #6 of 28 Dessert in York
Description: Hi My small independent business recently received a Certificate of Excellence of which I am very proud. I am however totally overwhelmed by the kind and positive comments made by reviewers it is always a good feeling when others notice the effort we all here make to please and perhaps bring a little pleasure. For those of you who don’t know us well we started in 2010 with an idea based on a parlour we had seen in Barcelona. Our ice cream is made in Italian machines and based on Italian gelato recipes and ingredients and in the early days we had chefs come from Italy to give us training. Today we prefer to consider our product as Yorkshire Gelato as over 85% of it is made from the finest Yorkshire milk and cream. From the 30 or so basic recipes we started with we now produce around 230 different flavours with many being our own creation and unique to ourselves. In view of all the above I was disappointed to read the one or two less favourable reviews and I can only reiterate that we do try our very best. If, has someone commented they came late one afternoon when we were closing and could not sit in please consider that as food producers we have extremely strict hygiene regulations to comply with and all our equipment requires regular dismantling for thorough cleaning. The ice cream we produce is as far as a handmade product can be, a constant, and it would seem that overwhelmingly people agree that it is good! Once again thanks to everyone who takes time to review us we take all your comments seriously, this is not just my job it’s my life! I must at this point thank my wonderful staff and my loyal customers without which I simply wouldn’t be able to do it …… so one huge big THANK YOU!! Regards Dawn x
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“Amazing!”
Reviewed June 9, 2014

My friends and I went here for an ice cream on an incredibly sunny day and, unsurprisingly, found the queue for service to be out of the door. We were pleasantly surprised by not only how quickly we were served but also by how friendly and attentive the staff were given how busy they were.

The shop is beautiful inside - it is one of the only places I have visited that manages to walk the line of nostalgia without being overly twee or tacky.

The choice of ice-cream is amazing - with an equally huge choice of toppings and extras - every taste appears to be catered for from those who like their ice-cream sweet (bubblegum!) to those who prefer their dessert less sugary (sorbet). The website for this shop states that they offer 150 varieties/flavours of ice cream and, while it is not the case that all are available at once, there are more than enough to choose from!

Westhoughton, England, United Kingdom
“Lovely dairy free sorbet”
Reviewed June 8, 2014

I had two types of sorbet, which tasted as creamy as real ice cream. Its hard to find dairy free desserts when out and about, but this did not disappoint!

York, United Kingdom
“Horrible Salted Caramel ice cream”
Reviewed June 8, 2014

After seeing numerous people walking around the Swinegate area of York on several occassions with ice cream cones we finally decided to visit the Luxury Ice Cream Co and I think my wife wishes we hadn't bothered. I ordered a regular cone for a reasonable £3.60 which consists of two scoops in a cone and my wife went for a tub, again with two scoops. We both ordered one scoop of malteser, which while nice enough didn't really taste of much. I then had the peanut which was nice and tasted similar to B&J's peanut ice creams. The problem was the salted caramel flavour that my wife ordered as her second scoop. Ice cream is supposed to be refreshing but the amount of salt in this made it taste like a salted pub snack. I have had pretzels with less salt than this ice cream. It real was so salty that she couldn't eat it and ended up having to throw most of the tub away and felt quite ill for the rest of the afternoon.

Looking at the other reviews I would assume that this was just a bad day at the office and would be willing to try here again but just won't be ordering the salted caramel.

York, United Kingdom
“ABSOLUTELY FANTASTIC!!! You have to try it!!!!”
Reviewed June 5, 2014

My friends and I are studying A-levels in York and our friend who studied with us for a year from Germany is going home tomorrow so we met up in town to say goodbye. One of our friends told us about this place as we had just had a meal but didn't have dessert so thought we'd come and see what is was like. I'd never noticed the shop before, I'd been to Slug and Lettuce plenty of times but never spotted it! It was absolutely lovely decor and the staff were so nice! The ice cream looked to die for and the selection was amazing (they sell OREO ice cream!!!), they even let us try any of them for free before we bought it. We ended up getting woffles with our choice of ice cream on top with lots of whipped cream and sprinkles and it was great value for money! Thank you so much for the lovely service, I will definitely be returning!! DEFINITELY RECOMMEND!!

London, United Kingdom
“Delicious ice cream”
Reviewed May 10, 2014

The ice cream was delicious, the flavours were really great and ice cream was creamy so we indulged ourselves with 3 scoops each. My daughter and son liked the ice cream as well.

Visited September 2013