“Excellent service and food” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Raj

The Raj
Reserve with OpenTable
The Raj is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #259 of 850 Restaurants in York
Cuisines: Indian, Asian, Balti
Good for: Kids, Families with children, Dining on a budget, Large groups, Special occasions
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Delivery, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
York, England, United Kingdom
“Excellent service and food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 17, 2013

A lot of the Indian restaurants in York have been a bit hit and miss when I've tried them in the past, but this place never fails to deliver. My husband and I are vegetarian and the waiter was so accomodating when we asked if any dishes could be made with veg or with paneer - nothing is too much trouble. Food was quick to arrive, nice and hot (I hate being served luke warm food!) and it was delicious.
I definitely recommend The Raj, their takeaway service is very reliable and fast too.

• Visited December 2012
1 Thank JennyD123_1911

thirsk
“nice authentic indian food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 14, 2013

visited york at the weekend and saw some adverts for this place. My friends and I decided to try it was fairly busy but still managed to get excellent service and food. i was pleasantly surprised also at the prices as these days prices are sky high but here they are fairly reasonable. i ordered the raj special and it was the perfect dish for me. Best authentic Indian dish iv had in a long time. worth the trip highly recommend

• Visited January 2013
3 Thank TracyHD
“An excellent indian restaurant. Would visit again.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 14, 2013

My wife, 2 year old daughter and myself visited here the friday before new year. I used trip advisor on my mobile to search for a good indian restaurant and find out where it was in the city. We arrived early and were given a warm welcome and made a fuss of my little girl (which was nice because it made us feel very welcome as a family).

The decor is modern and pleasant and has a nice atmosphere. The menu is good with plenty of choice including some dishes you wouldn't perhaps find in your bog standard indian.

The food was lovely we enjoyed it lots. My daughter ate plenty of the chicken korma and I'm pleased to say the chicken wasn't dry (which can often be the case)

My only regret is that we don't live closer else we would probably be regular visitors. I hope that the management and staff continue to work hard to maintain the fantastic standard.

• Visited December 2012
3 Thank Jimmyposhfan
Newcastle, United Kingdom
“lovely”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 9, 2013

stopped of for late dinner. seated straight away though front room fairly busy. food itself was lovely and reasonably priced. would definitely recommend and return .

Visited December 2012
3 Thank barry f
St. Annes-on-Sea, United Kingdom
“Raj Delight”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 4, 2013

Decided to spend New Year in York and not really knowing the place we settled for a late booking B & B and spent some time looking for recommendations on TripAdvisor. However, we were pleasantly surprised to get a discount voucher at the B & B when we checked in and decided to use it. What a good decision!
The restaurant looks tiny from the pavement but has several small rooms which go off each other. We sat in a room which had about 18 covers so was not overcrowded. During the course of the evening the place filled up quite quickly as did the other rooms. The food is excellent, the service good and the value, even without the discount, is worth it. We had poppadoms and pickles, a thali, chana massala, and saag panneer and all were very flavourful and beautifully cooked. The gravies were good. And as a bonus, they give you a complimentary drink after the bill is paid which is a nice touch.
Would recommend it to people who enjoy their Indian food

• Visited January 2013