“Perfect!”

Hong Kong Chop House
Ranked #173 of 874 Restaurants in York
Cuisines: Chinese, Japanese, Thai
Dining options: Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Located in the heart of the city, just minutes away from iconic landmarks including York Minster and The Shambles, Hong Kong Chop House serves arguably the most authentic Chinese cuisine in York. The restaurant is widely recognised for a range of delicious and authentic Chinese cuisine at wonderfully reasonable prices. Specialising in several Chinese cuisines including Cantonese, Sichuan and Northeast, we aim to present the true authentic Chinese cooking to our customers. In 2014, 2015 & 2016 we have been awarded a Certificate of Excellence by TripAdvisor. Our comprehensive A la carte menu are specifically designed to give you the widest experience of traditional Chinese cuisine. You will recognise not only the old favourites like Aromatic Crispy Duck, Satay, Black Bean and Sweet and Sour, but also some true authentic food which is very common in China.
York, England, United Kingdom
“Perfect!”
Reviewed February 10, 2013

Never before have I eaten in such a wonderful establishment. We went for Chinese New Year and the atmosphere was warm and genuinely authentic--quiet but notably Valentines is only four days away). We went for varied dishes, all of which appeared freshly made and very tasty. The aromatic crispy duck starter stands as the best I've ever had! The food was well presented in really nice tableware, with a choice of chopsticks or English fighting irons. I cannot say enough how good our host was: she was ready for our every need, made excellent recommendations (she suggested my tea based on what I had had earlier) yet was not overbearing--10/10. Overall, a sincere and quality Chinese restaurant that I would highly recommend

2 Thank MLW88

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
York, North Yorkshire
“Excellent Hakka food from a modern Chinese restaurant.”
Reviewed February 8, 2013

I booked a table for two for a midweek dinner at this restaurant with my partner. When we arrived, we were quickly shown to a table. The restaurant was mostly empty early in the evening, but more people arrived later, and there were also customers stopping in to pick up take away food which they'd ordered earlier, or to place new orders.

The decor of the restaurant is modern and colourful. Everything looked clean, stylish and there was a clear design throughout. The use of wood and bamboo added a warmth to the small space. The piped in music was not too loud; we could talk softly and still hear each other. The place settings, the menus - which included a description of Hakka food - the way tea was served at the table, the presentation of the dishes, all gave me the impression that this is a modern Chinese restaurant. I enjoyed the atmosphere there very much.

Service was quickly and friendly throughout the meal. We asked for a pot of Woo Long tea to share between us, and were brought a little iron tea pot, two porcelain tea cups and a wooden box/stand to keep the pot and the cups warm. We could have additional re-fills of water for the tea pot at no extra charge. Three re-fills saw us easily through the meal.

We decided to skip a starter - next time I would probably try one, as I imagine the quality of the mains would be reflected in the appetizers. I was pleased to see that the menu included traditional Hakka dishes as well as more familiar Chinese restaurant staples. We ordered egg fried rice for two, a sizzling salmon dish with a ginger and spring onion sauce, a Hakka-style tofu hotpot, and some Chinese leafy green vegetables with shiitake mushrooms. Portion sizes were just right: not too big, so that between both of us, three dishes didn't feel overwhelming, and left some room for dessert. Everything was cooked extremely well, and tasted fresh. The green vegetables had been sliced up into bite sized pieces. The sizzling salmon was delicious - we were both delighted to see salmon on the menu, and it was served with some theatre, as a small cast iron pan was brought to the table, and then the salmon and sauce was spooned into the hot pan, causing it to sizzle and cook in front of us. This would be a great dish to order in a group, and I would probably want to try the mango sauce, or the Hakka sauce, or some of the other sauces which you could choose for it too. The tofu hot pot was savoury, comforting and full of umami flavours. The rice was not too greasy, and complimented the food well.

After the mains we asked to see the dessert menu. There was a choice of banana or pineapple fritters with ice cream, as well as different ice creams to order. I had a coconut ice cream. My partner had the honeycomb ice cream. Both were delicious, and came in a generous three-scoop serving with sauces and rolled up wafers.

The cost of the meal came to around £36 for both of us, which I think is very reasonable for two courses and tea. I very much enjoyed eating at the restaurant, and am looking forward to going back again at some point. I would also not hesitate to recommend this restaurant to friends and others.

• Visited February 2013
2 Thank sunsetcat
york
“Great food Good Price”
Reviewed February 6, 2013

we went to the place for a dinner, nice decor, The service was outstandingly good. The waitresses are very lovely. reasonable price, my sizzling duck is very very tasty, next time i will try the salmon! I will be back.

• Visited February 2013
2 Thank jack w
York
“Does size matter to you?”
Reviewed February 2, 2013

I think i was the hungriest that I've been in a long time when I came here, so i was slightly disappointed at the size of my main course, which was roughly about two thirds of what you would expect to get from a Chinese takeaway. However, my Kung Pao Roast Duck was excellent, the sauce was well balanced and the ingredients seemed to be fresh and not over cooked.

I will return next time, and perhaps order a starter and two mains!

The atmosphere and decor was pleasant as was the staff who were sincere and efficient.

• Visited January 2013
england
“Good food nice waitresses”
Reviewed February 1, 2013 via mobile

Found restaurant on trip advisor - cannot fault food or service try it you may be surprised .Not your run of the mill Chinese well worth a visit .

1 Thank yorkyboyEngland