“Out of the ordinary”

Coconut Lagoon
Ranked #22 of 903 Restaurants in York
Cuisines: Indian
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Description: We are a small family run restaurant specialising in South Indian cusine. Our menu is suitable for vegetarians as well as others. Dosa and other popular south Indian dishes are our speciality and very popular with many of our regular patrons. Seafood delights like Crabs, Lobsters, & fish are the ones to try and tantalise your senses with.
Reviewed April 21, 2013

Was visiting from London and had a fantastic meal at the Coconut Lagoon. We were there on a Saturday night as a party of 6.
I love Indian food but the one thing that is always slightly disappointing is the uniformity of the menu in most restuarants. There are never any surprises but this is not the case at the Coconut Lagoon. Because the dishes are from the Kerala region it is very different to the usual fair. Between us we ordered a wide variety of dishes and they were all great. I can highly recommend the Lemon Chicken Starter. The Beef Kerala curry has a very intense flavour which combined with the outstanding coconut rice (with chunks of toasted fresh coconut) was lovely. Our waiter was very charming and informative, and seemed to have a real passion for the food of the region. Do go if you fancy a bit of a change from your bog standard Ruby!

1  Thank Linda H
There are newer reviews for Coconut Lagoon

Reviewed April 20, 2013

We visited this restuarant with friends using a Groupon voucher. The value was amazing - better than the deal we thought we were getting and better than any other meal deal I've got through Groupon. The restaurant has a lovely vibe to it and our waiter was fascinating to talk to and really made the evening even more pleasurable - we wish him well with his studies and his move to Mumbai. I would love to visit again, but this time I would ask for more advice with the menu as it isn't like other Indians I've visited and we found the dishes a little too hot for our tastes. Totally our fault not theirs - we assumed that dishes with coconut would be mild like Kormas.

Reviewed April 19, 2013

I am a big fan of Asian food and tend to get withdrawal symptoms if I don't have a curry at least once a week, but last night was my first experience of a real Indian meal in a UK based restaurant (circa 99%+ of 'Indian restaurants' are in fact run by Bangladeshi people) and what a treat it was.

The Coconut Lagoon in York offers a wide range of Keralan (South West India) food cooked and served by staff who originate from that area - God's own country. Having visited Kerala on 5 occasions previously I was interested to discover how authentic the food was, I was not disappointed.

I found that it was a clean restaurant with a good atmosphere, good food (very authentic) good service and very friendly staff. The rice accompaniment for the main courses was probably the best rice dishes that I have ever been served anywhere.

The menu is reasonably priced and there are a wide range of choices on offer but you will not find dishes that you would expect to see on a typical Indian menu as those dishes are aimed at the 'British taste'. However, if you are not familiar with Keralan food the staff will talk you through the menu so that you are sure of what you are ordering.

I recommend booking to avoid disappointment and I ma sure you will have a great time.

Reviewed April 18, 2013

Went to Coconut Lagoon York with partner for the first time and having tried various Indian restaurants this I can say is one of the best ever, its different to the normal Indian restaurants so many different spices and flavours. The lemon chicken starter is a must and the prawn curry was fab full of prawns. The dishes are not the normal masalas or baltis, something different and full of flavour. The service was excellent to. Def will be going back again, must try it

Reviewed April 17, 2013

We visited using a Groupon voucher and were made to feel very welcome. The menu was different from the usual indian restaurant and reminded us of the menus you see in Goa. The food was lovely and the service friendly and helpful. The waiter unfortunately spilled a glass of wine, we were immediately moved to another table and made comfortable with gracious apologies. A good evening out and good value. We will return.