“Meal with my 2 children, 8 + 10yrs”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Uncle Joes Road House & Grill - CLOSED

Uncle Joes Road House & Grill
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations, Seating
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations, Seating
York, United Kingdom
“Meal with my 2 children, 8 + 10yrs”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 25, 2013

25/07/13
I thoroughly enjoyed me meal there tonight, the first time I've been.
I have heard mixed reviews but I can honestly say the fella and girl who were serving were extremely warm and friendly, efficient and were great with my children.
They catered for my childrens fussiness, preparing the meals to their tastes and my chicken burger was FANTASTIC, the spicy sauce that came with it was awesome, and can say hand on heart that was the best chicken burger I've ever had.
They prepared a lovely dessert for my children with all sorts of chocolates and sweets in it!
It wasn't too expensive either.
Will defo go again.

• Visited July 2013

North Yorkshire, United Kingdom
“OK food but over priced”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 10, 2013 via mobile

My friend and I ate here today and we both had pretty much the same opinion. The staff were fine (friendly) but not very enthusiastic. Service isnt the fastest and it was painful to watch the chefs construct the food (you can just see into the kitchen). We both ordered burgers, these came with fries, coleslaw and a small salad garnish. The portion sizes were decent, but at £10 its certainly not cheap. The burger was nice and well presented although the bread they used (sour dough?) was very dry. The coleslaw was drenched in mayo and quite off-putting. I had a milk shake which was extremely nice, although full of cream and probably your whole days calories in one glass! I really think they need to up their game a bit or reduce prices if they want repeat custom. For me it was definitely novelty value and not sure if i'd go again. It tries so hard to be an American diner, but unfortunately fails!

• Visited July 2013
York, United Kingdom
“Not an American diner more like a cafe”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 23, 2013

My son had gone to uncle joes the previous week so we thought lets go we should have drove by it may have just been the wrong day and they were short staffed but the service was very poor no eye contact when the menus was brought service was slow it looked painful 2 watch when our meals arrived we wasn't asked if we wanted anything so I asked a few minutes later if they had barbaque and chillie sauce 4my husbands hotdog the waiter said he had neither and brought brown sauce which we don't like so we ate our meal sauce free ,no complaints on the food but certainly off putting if they do not see how their staff behave and also we've been to many American diners all over the country this looked like a transport cafe very uncomfortable chairs cold looking seating areas,also the toilets was smelly and dirty,as I say I would return again because of the food only if the decor improves and got better attentive staff,I presume the chef is the owner as he chatted prior to our meal and was very pleasant and sounded passoinate about the place I myself have worked in this industry and I now to we'll it's a tough world the food industry you have to get it right behind and in front of house, I will wait to see if any changes happen before I come again

• Visited February 2013
1 Thank Billy L
Scarborough, United Kingdom
“What a waste of money!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 26, 2013

I will not be making a return visit to Uncle Joes now Hickorys roadhouse and Grill….. The interior looked ok, not very American or inviting in my opinion. The Woman that seated us looked very miserable, not happy to be there at all and wasn’t at all inviting us enjoy ourselves! The chairs are terrible and just wanted to fall with the weight of a coat on the rear! And the tables had a terrible slant on….Not Good! The toilets are through a door near the kitchen and are really cold, they had bars on the windows, although probably recently painted, were dark and horrible with 3 cubicles. All 3 had something in them hadn’t been flushed, toilet paper rolls on the floor as they had no where to put them… not a great start!
Ordered a ‘thick chocolate Milkshake’ for £2.95…. well it turned up with cream and choc sauce inside the glass, over the cream and down the outside of the glass… which wasn’t great to be sticky and covered in choc before the meal at started. The milkshake was certainly not a milkshake…. It was normal semi-skimmed milk, with a choc sauce to give it flavouring (which you couldn’t taste at all) and cream on top with straws. No spoon to try get the remainder of the choc or cream out.
On to the food: just terrible. I didn’t order a starter as I was going for the sliders, 3x small buns with fillings and chips. This was the worst decision ive made for a while! The sliders consisted of; 1 x pulled pork with sour dough bread, 1x cheese burger and 1x sloppy Joe. The pork was tender and lean, but the barbecue sauce it was coated in was very sweet and completely over-powered the meat. The cheese burger was pink in the middle, which I understand is it keep it moist, but to bite into it and blood& grease drip out the other side on to the plate was a disgusting sight, Not only that, but they smothered the burger in Mayo… I didn’t ask for mayo as I cant stand the stuff, nor did it state it would come with it – so maybe Hickorys staff… ask customers next time!! The sloppy joe was just chilli in a bun, the chilli was ok – more like from a cheap tin, and not home made, my friend who came with me had horrible lumps in hers and put us off it!. The bread - all I can say is that it was completely inedible all 3 buns were hard and stale, certainly not fresh at all. The chips were limp and greasy, you would better from a food trailer at the side of a road!
The staff were too busy talking at the front about business, no one was really in a uniform or looked like they were staff… just a mess really. Please dont waste your time or money on this place, because until it improves, you will regret your journey!
Presentation of the food was poor and unappetising looking. Overall, not a good experience, and at £ £29 for a sprite, milkshake and 2 x sliders it was not worth it at all. Will certainly not be returning.

• Visited February 2013
1 Thank rryder87
Northallerton, United Kingdom
“Uncle joes”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 18, 2013

10 of us booked a table and 2 of us did a challenge, one did the burger challenge and one did the pancakes. We were welcomed at the door and shown to our table, the food was spot on and the staff were really nice easy going we had a good night
The owner came out and was talking to us telling us about his background, they were all really nice and we will be going back

Mick Clark