“Girlie spa break”

Middlethorpe Spa
Ranked #10 of 22 Spas & Wellness in York
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Located on the grounds of the National Trust's Middlethorpe Hall, this luxury Health & Beauty Spa is cunningly located in a Victorian Cottage. It contains an indoor swimming pool, steam room, sauna, spa bath, a gymnasium and three beauty salons offering treatments by Decleor and ESPA. A heaven of calm and relaxation!
Reviewed September 11, 2017 via mobile

We booked a spa day at this hotel as we were staying in the city and wanted to a treat as my friend and I had birthdays approaching. We were greeted at the hotel and taken to the spa which is across a quite road on the estate. The gentleman who greeted us then gave us a short tour of the house loved the house and character and the gardens were beautiful. The spa it's self and the lunch included in our package however did not quite live up to expectations, the staff were very friendly and courteous but the spa facilities were basic compared to others we have visited. Included in our package was a two course lunch which unfortunately disappointed we both ordered the steak my friend asked for medium to well done and it had to be sent back as it was quite bloody on arrival and the replacement was not cooked as requested but by this stage we hadn't the heart to say,food value for money was poor. The two courses were actually limited to a starter soup or fruit cocktail and a main although there were sweets which my friend would have preferred they were not available. I thoroughly enjoyed my 2hour treatment by Laura which consisted of a hot stone and a hour facial. My friend however didn't feel so content when we compared our experiences her massage was not as thorough as mine even though they were meant to be identical her treatment actually was completed 20minutes before mine but commenced at the same time . We made the most of the day and loved the national trust feel but it's doubtful we would return.

All reviews
"decleor facial"
"spa facilities are"
"steam room and jacuzzi"
"value for money"
"therapist"
in 8 reviews

Reviewed August 30, 2017

This was a complimentary spa visit as I had previously been disappointed with a Pick and Mix day I had received as a gift.

The half spa day included use of the pool,sauna, steam room and jacuzzi which the Pick n Mix did not. This made a tremendous difference to me and I enjoyed a leisurely 2 hours indulging in them all. The swim was lovely, the pool being a perfect temperature. I was then able to have a shower and dry my hair before my facial. I appreciated the hairdryer and lotions provided in the changing room and also the robe and slippers which had been handed to me at reception.

I was then greeted by the member of staff who showed me to the treatment room and explained what she would be doing, I had a full facial which included a neck and shoulder massage. This was a real treat and I enjoyed it very much, I also received a short foot massage which again was very good indeed.

This was a much better experience for me than the last time and I would suggest anyone booking the spa should ensure that their session includes use of the facilities.

Reviewed August 14, 2017 via mobile

I've been here quite a few times, the girls always make you feel at home/comfortable but keep a professional manner .... I love the ambience there & the treatments are wonderful, whichever therapist you have will always give a first class experience, then a light lunch always goes down a treat ..... I would highly recommend

Reviewed July 31, 2017

From start to finish our experience was delightful. It's not huge but the staff are attentive and make you feel relaxed from start to finish. The treatments were lovely and I would go back. Finally the food is delicious. A perfect place for a relaxing spa day.

See more reviews
Reviewed June 20, 2017

Middlethorpe Hall is a truly stunning place with the most amazing, dedicated and hardworking team! We chose to have our wedding at Middlethorpe in June and I would like to thank all the team for making it such a perfect day. It was down to their commitment to excellent service, attention to detail and thoughtfulness that we had such an amazing day. I cannot thank you all enough!

From initially seeing Middlthorpe Hall we knew we wanted to get married there, both the grounds and house are beautiful with impeccable upkeep. After meeting Julia, the Wedding Coordinator, we knew our wedding day was in safe hands with her and the Middlethorpe Team. She ensured our day ran smoothly and had thought of details for the wedding that even we had not. Our day would not have been as wonderful as it was without her help and input. She was professional, always available and quick to respond.

We arrived at Middlethorpe Hall the night before the wedding, all the staff were extremely friendly and welcoming. From arrival we were made to feel very special and all our needs (and more) were catered for. All the rooms were pretty and spotless, we stayed in the Duke of York Suite and it is without a doubt the most outstanding room I have ever stayed in. I used the Spa facilities and had my nails done, the lady who did my nails was lovely and did a wonderful job. The Spa facilities are well kept.

Whenever we needed anything, every member of staff was willing to go the extra mile for us. The staff seemed very excited about the wedding and they really made our day feel even more special. The day was completely stress free thanks to the team at Middlehthorpe. I cannot thank the Chef enough for the best meal we have ever had, the quality of the food was outstanding! Every course not only tasted delicious but was presented impeccably and the timing of bringing out the food was perfect. All the table staff who served us were helpful, friendly and very attentive whilst being subtle and not over bearing. We would like to thank them!

I would highly recommend Middlethorpe not only for weddings but also to stay in the hotel, to eat or use the Spa. The combination of the gorgeous building and grounds , excellent location near York and by far the best customer service I have ever received mean it is one of the best hotels in the country! I felt that it was excellent value for money and if in doubt about booking just look at everyone else's amazing reviews!