“Music Day Great!”
Review of York Racecourse

York Racecourse
Ranked #22 of 209 things to do in York
More attraction details
Owner description: Our office hours for enquiries are Monday - Friday, 9am to 5pm. Please visit our website for York Races Fixtures, which often include Saturdays.
Reviewed July 29, 2014

been last few years, love it great day out ! was very busy this year though, got bored queuing to put bet on towards the end as couldn't get near one for the queues, same with toilets1

Reviewed July 29, 2014 via mobile

I spent the day here with 5 friends and we had a wonderful time. We went in the cheap bit & took a picnic. I have been to the County and Grand Stands before and can honestly say I prefer the cheap bit. £10 in, take ur own drinks & food. The atmosphere was so friendly and vibrant, we all really enjoyed ourselves. We will definitely be making this an annual (if not more frequent) trip. And no more paying big bucks for the dressy up area. Much more fun in the cheap seats!

Reviewed July 28, 2014

I recently went to York races after a long break, as I had moved away down south. What a disappointment, security staff were rude and officious, I don't want to be made to feel like a criminal for wanting to take in a soft drink and a bar of chocolate, completely ridiculous. Once inside, stands we very overcrowded, not enough tables and chairs of the viewing areas. Staff were constantly prowling to sell overpriced alcohol, which resulted in unpleasant drunken scenes.
I don't think I will be returning in a hurray, what a shame this used to be a very pleasant day out.

1  Thank Charlotte P
Reviewed July 27, 2014

We were lucky enough to get entry tickets to attend the Depart of Stage 2 of Le Tour de France. Even arriving at 6.30 am, we were given a fantastic Yorkshire welcome by the Marshals and other Staff. The range of refreshments was amazing - even wine at that time of the morning! Equally engaging were the numerous French personnel attached to the Teams, who had put away any "Gallic Shrugs" for "Gallic Charm" - which my wife found very endearing!!! Well done York, Yorkshire & Le Tour for hosting a thoroughly enjoyable event at a great venue.

Reviewed July 27, 2014 via mobile

Got tickets for evening meeting followed by Beach Boys Friday and afternoon meeting followed by Wet Wet Wet Saturday.

Stayed just outside the city centre so walked to course along the river bank, it isn't very well sign posted but easy enough to find.

We had pre booked a Knavesmire package with a meal and drink. Seemed a good idea at the time but because the course was so busy Saturday ended up eating in shifts - which wasn't great. Food was nice though.

Had a great view of racing and Beach Boys on the Friday and headed for the same spot Saturday, which was much busier.

We had a great night and day out. Only problem toilet facilities were very crowded at times and there didn't seem to be enough of them. The Bar could have done with more staff - the poor guys working the bar nearest us were run off their feet and there were long queues.