“Everything you want in a hotel, clean, nice staff, good brekkie!”

Hampton by Hilton York
Ranked #8 of 47 Hotels in York
Reviewed August 7, 2014

Stayed here on a Saturday night at the end of July. Really decent hotel and nice welcome from front of house staff. We stayed in a twin room which faced out to the front. All you really need in a hotel if you want to come to York for a few days - clean friendly hotel, has a little bar, good breakfast, decent sized nice looking rooms, and friendly staff. Not much more to say than that!

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank ObjectiveFoodie007
VBurnham, Guest Relations Manager at Hampton by Hilton York, responded to this reviewResponded August 8, 2014

Thank you for your review following your recent stay at Hampton by Hilton York.

I was pleased to read you enjoyed your stay with us in and that you liked your room and the breakfast offering. It is always nice to read such posative comments about the team.

Thank you for choosing Hampton by Hilton, I do hope we can welcome you back in the near future.

Reviewed August 6, 2014

I'm working in York and have been placed in 4 different hotels and this one is my preferred choice as it's; good value, clean and modern, air conditioned, near the centre, nice breakfast and has fantastic staff.

I've block booked the rest of my time in York to stay here (helping amass some points on the HHonors loyalty card too).

My only criticism for a long stayer is the evening menu range - about 6 items. As such we mostly go into York to eat each evening.

Room Tip: Try for floor 3 and above
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank PhilTwyford
VBurnham, Guest Relations Manager at Hampton by Hilton York, responded to this reviewResponded August 7, 2014

Thank you for your review following your recent stay at Hampton by Hilton York.

I was pleased to read you enjoyed your stay with us (as always!) As discussed last night we will be in the process of changing the menu in the next few months.

Thank you for choosing Hampton by Hilton

Reviewed August 5, 2014

Another perfect stay here for 2 days with my sister, rooms were very clean and comfortable we were on the front directly opposite the nightclub but heard nothing at all both nights. Breakfast as always was good with a huge choice and staff really helpful. I wouldn't stay anywhere else in York after staying here.

• Stayed: August 2014, traveled with family
VBurnham, Guest Relations Manager at Hampton by Hilton York, responded to this reviewResponded August 6, 2014

Reviewed August 5, 2014

Really close to the train station (walking distance) and to the tourist parts of York. Staff are very helpful and very pleasant to deal with.
As someone who spends close to 140 days a year in hotels I was very pleased with the location, room and bed. Though a little on the compact side when it comes to room size everything was clean and functional - it always surprises me that hotels do not understand that this is what we want!
Breakfast was good and food was always fresh...

Room Tip: No real view to talk about so no big deal which way you face...
  • Stayed: August 2014, traveled on business

Thank you for your review following your recent stay at Hampton by Hilton York.

I was pleased to read you enjoyed your stay with us in and that you found round to your liking

Reviewed August 5, 2014

This property is well situated in York city centre and is both modern and comfortable. Pricing is very competitive but, and its a very big but, there are some annoying features which will put many travellers off this hotel.

1) Its cheap so atracts Stag and Hen parties. We stopped in late July and the hotel was full of drunk teenagers and twenty-somethings. We saw two ambulances called to to the hotel to treat drunk revellers over our two day stay, one call was to a teenager at 1600hrs who was paralytic drunk and vomiting in reception. What a waste of emergency service resource and surely and embarrassment for the hotel? Hilton - apologise to Yorkshire Ambulance Service, truly unacceptable.

2) The hotel is opposite one of Yorks largest nigh clubs. this makes returning to the hotel after midnight and interesting experience. My wife felt threatened, I disagree, but I am over 6" tall and she just 5", so I can see why she felt uncomfortable.

3) Hotel claims to serve food, it does not. Food is reheated pizza and packet snacks.

4) If you are travelling on business do not use the recommended NCP car-park. This closes at 2200hrs and does not reopen until 0800hrs. This caught me out as I needed my car at 0600hrs for work. I should have read the notice in the car-park but as there is nowhere else to park there is little other choice other than a parking ticket.

So great little hotel, with helpful and professional staff in a super location. However, as York has become the nightlife capital of Yorkshire this hotel seems to have become the choice for cost conscious younger travellers which concomitant associated problems.

Fine for business (other than the car-park) but take care if looking for a family hotel on a weekend. I want to like this property, but based on two business stays I am unable to recommend.

Room Tip: Good for business mid-week. avoid if choosing for a family break at weekends. Marriott or Holiday In...
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled on business
3  Thank Richard B
VBurnham, Public Relations Manager at Hampton by Hilton York, responded to this reviewResponded August 6, 2014

Thank you for your review of the Hampton by Hilton York

I was sorry to hear that we failed to deliver your expectations. The Ambulances that were called were for a local establishment and not for a guest drinking in the hotel we were just assisting. We do offer a small bar menu which is available to 9.30 which offer salad, curry’s and a pasta dish. There are also daily specials, starters and desserts. The pizzas are available on our 24 hour menu and the snack shop is available again 24h ours a day.
Thank you once again for taking the time to feedback to us, and I do hope you will choose to stay with the Hilton brand in the future.

Reviewed August 5, 2014

Stayed here for 4 nights and were very impressed. Check in staff were incredibly friendly and helpful and very knowledgeable about the local area and gave us some excellent recommendations for places to eat.
The rooms were nicely decorated and were air conditioned.
Breakfast was good considering it was included in the price.
All the main attractions in York were no more than a 10 minute walk.
Would definitely stay here again

• Stayed: August 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Rickdekikkerfanclub

Thank you for your review following your recent stay at Hampton by Hilton York.

I was pleased to read you enjoyed your 4 nights stay with us in and that you found your check in experience pleasant with the team giving you some helpful information on York.

Reviewed August 4, 2014

This is a pretty good hotel. The beds were comfortable and the rooms clean. The breakfast in the morning had a lot to offer and was ran very proficiently. The only thing I wasn't so keen on was having to park my car down the road at the public car park. If I had been on my own at night I would not have liked to have to walk up the hill to the hotel, but I suppose there is nothing the hotel can do as they don't have any space to build their own car park.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled with family

Thank you for your review following your recent stay at Hampton by Hilton York.

I was pleased to read you enjoyed your stay with us in and that you liked the comfortable and clean rooms.