“Good location, great hotel”

Hampton by Hilton York
Ranked #9 of 46 Hotels in York
Stoke On Trent
“Good location, great hotel”
Reviewed July 6, 2014 via mobile

Chose this hotel due to its location and it bring part of the Hilton chain. It's a very new, modern hotel about a 10 minute walk from the centre. All staff we came into contact with was helpful and very pleasant. Room was a little small, but had everything you would need, with a lovely shower bathroom. Slightly concerned about the noise that might have come from the nightclub on the opposite side of the road, but needn't have worried - we heard nothing and slept really well.
Bar area was good, with reasonable drink prices.
Breakfast was very busy but the food on offer was very good and plentiful.

We would definitely stay here again.

Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
VBurnham, General Manager at Hampton by Hilton York, responded to this review, July 8, 2014
Thank you for your review following your recent stay at Hampton by Hilton York.

I was pleased to read you liked the hotel and the breakfast we offer, and I was delighted to read you thought the staff are friendly and helpful.

Thank you for choosing Hampton by Hilton, I do hope we can welcome you back in the near future

Victoria Burnham

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (365)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed July 6, 2014

We found absolutely nothing to complain about. Our room on the 3rd floor was very quiet with no issues with noise. The room and bathroom were small, but we were expecting this. The breakfast was ample and met our requirements. All staff interactions were positive.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your review following your recent stay at Hampton by Hilton York.

I was delighted you enjoyed your stay.

West Midlands
Reviewed July 6, 2014

I booked this hotel for a birthday trip with my wife and was hoping to experience something a little bit special. The reviews looked good.

Unfortunately, that hope was dashed upon arrival when we were met by an efficient but rather miserable looking receptionist (I think her badge indicated manager though). Her mood didn't really improve during the booking-in process and both my wife and I commented on this on our way to the room.

We stayed in room 006, a dingy basement room that was so dark it was like being in a cave and made us feel a bit uneasy and claustrophobic, even though we're not!

The room was clean and tidy and I guess from the photographs of the place, they are uniform throughout the hotel. Corporate would be an adequate description, but certainly not welcoming.

Placed below street level, with a view of a wall and a fence hiding air conditioning plant, the room had very little natural light. Opening the curtains wasn't an option if you wanted any privacy - I saw on two occasions (one in the evening and one in the morning) somebody walk past the window, presumably staff. I didn't feel secure.

Though functional enough, I just don't understand the fashion for frosted glass doors on bathrooms. Whatever happened to privacy? What's wrong with a door?

On a positive note though, the room was double glazed and had additional secondary glazing which completely blanked out any noise from the street. I didn't hear a thing.

There was also air conditioning, which went some way to compensating for the lack of fresh air.

The bed was comfortable too, with good pillows.

The bathroom was a bit of a let down though - all very tastefully decorated with nice clean looking tiles, but a shower that you had to walk wound in order to get wet, rather than the nice drench showers found in other chain hotels.

The room rate of £94, booked through Hilton's own site included breakfast and here was another disappointment and an exercise in style over substance. Here's why:

Staff were on hand, but provided no real direction. They seemed to be there only to clear tables.

The breakfast is a buffet style, with options for cereals, croissants and cooked, but it's not really attended, so when things run out (as they inevitably did), you have to go in search of a staff member to ask them to top it up, by which time the toast that you just spent 5 minutes putting through the toaster twice (because it's useless) has gone cold.

Making your own tea from a machine is not great fun either. It's even less fun when you're given sticks (just like Starbucks) that puncture the tea bags and a space so small, that evertyone behind you is tutting and becoming impatient.

Getting to the tables is an issue too. There are simply too many tables for the space, so you bang into the backs of chairs, or handbags hit you when you're sitting down as women walk past with breakfast trays.

The breakfast area looked quite attractive at first, but then you realise it's more style over substance again, just as in the bathrooms. This time though, there's added slogans! Things like "Refreshing," "Wholesome" and the like, which should be more appropriately labelled as, "Confusing," "Frustrating," "Luke Warm to Cold," "Do it yourself".

So, on checkout, I was asked if I'd enjoyed the stay by a rather more cheerful receptionist than we'd experienced on arrival. I explained that I was less than satisfied and explained why. The duty manager was present, but was on the telephone at the time, so looks of "help" from her went ignored as the "very important" telephone conversation ensued.

Whilst apologetic, it was clear that the receptionist couldn't so anything. She did suggest that I could have asked to be moved, but she didn't get the reception we'd got the evening before. It was Tour de France weekend and I wrongly assumed the hotel would be full. My fault.

The reassuring signs that there was a 100% satisfaction guarantee obviously mean nothing though. Just another slogan.

I'd rate my satisfaction level at 30% and that's because the hotel was in a good location for us and the bed was very comfortable.

This hotel is ok for business, but not a special occasion. The staff don't appear to believe in the product and neither do I.

Room Tip: Absolutely insist on a floor above ground level. Basement rooms have no natural light and no view. T...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank eggbilly
Thank you for your recent review of the Hampton by Hilton in York.

I was sorry to hear we failed to meet your expectations on this occasion. It is our intention that all of our guests are 100% satisfied, therefore please accept my apologies that this was not the case when you stayed. I would be very greatful if you would e-mail me at QQYTG_Hampton@hilton.com, and let me know your surname and arrival date so that I can fully investigate the issues you have raised and respond to you directly?

Thank you once again for taking the time to bring these issues to my attention.
Knebworth, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 6, 2014

Located within the city walls, close to the station and within walking distance of the city's attractions this is a perfect spot for exploring York. The rooms are excellent being clean, well-equipped, pretty spacious and quiet. The breakfast buffet is also excellent with a wide range of choice. The staff were all friendly, efficient and helpful. We would definitely stay here again. There are though some minor issues. The shower was very feeble in terms of water pressure. There is no car park or on-street parking, so you are advised to use the NCP down the road. This costs £12 for 24 hours at the hotel's discounted rate. Finally the room rate is quite high.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
Thank you for your review following your recent stay at Hampton by Hilton York.

I was pleased to read you liked the hotel and the breakfast we offer, and I was delighted to read you liked the location of the hotel.

Durham
Reviewed July 4, 2014 via mobile

My boyfriend and I stayed for two nights at the Hampton by Hilton York and cannot fault our stay! The rooms were extremely quiet, even being on the ground floor(0) we did not here anything from surrounding rooms and the carpark outside. Breakfast was fantastic, hotel had a lovely modern feel and all facility's were just what we needed for our weekend away! Perfect distance from the city centre and a bus stop for the tourist bus is just round the corner so your just a stride away from the action. York is a great little city with lots of character!

Stayed July 2014
1 Thank April1709
Thank you for your review following your recent stay at Hampton by Hilton York.

I was pleased to read you liked the hotel and the breakfast we offer, and I was delighted to read you had a peaceful nights sleep.

Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed July 2, 2014

We had a lovely stay here. Rooms with all the facilities you could need except a mini fridge! The cleaners also left a duffel bag of extra toiletries outside our door daily though we put the sign up that we didn't want our room cleaned as we were only staying for 2 nights.Nice touch I thought. Good buffet breakfast selection (though I feel the quality at Premier Inn is slightly better).
Best part is its proximity to the town center so you don't need a car as the best way to get to know York is by walking its ancient streets.
Will definitely stay here again next time I'm in York.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Thank you for your review following your recent stay at Hampton by Hilton York.

I was pleased to read you liked the hotel and that you appreciated the housekeeping team leaving linen outside your room for you.

Reviewed July 1, 2014 via mobile

Another fantastic stay. The staff are very friendly and go out of their way to help. The rooms are clean and nicely furnished and comfortable. Breakfast was lovely as usual. I can not fault this hotel or its staff and its in an excellent location.

Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
VBurnham, General Manager at Hampton by Hilton York, responded to this review, July 3, 2014