“Nice little find”

Cuisines: Contemporary
Good for: Scenic view
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Reviewed July 20, 2014

We were walking across the bridge and could see this cute little cafe by the riverside and thought we would sit in the sun for a morning drink. My 3 sons had the giant icecream milkshakes and thought they were great. I had the mango ice tea with lots of chopped apples, strawberries and orange, very nice. Husband ordered a pot of Earl Grey tea and their giant fruit scone but the scone never appeared (saw others eating one and they looked huge!). Would definitely go back and would recommend.

Reviewed June 29, 2014

Great spot, excellent view, good meal, quaint little cafe bar. perfect sunny day to sit outside overlooking the river.

Reviewed June 29, 2014 via mobile

We visited today and enjoyed the atmosphere. We sat outside and had coffee's. The staff were very friendly and service was excellent. Will definately go back :-)

Reviewed June 26, 2014

This has to be my favourite place in York. The staff are fantastic and very friendly. The food is very tasty and great value for money. Whether the sun be shining and you're having a glass of wine or the rain is pouring you're having a hot chocolate this place is the best in York! Absolutely amazing!

Reviewed June 24, 2014

I pass along the riverside walk most days and had always seen this place buzzing and lively. With family and friends we we decided to give Dyls a go for "brunch" one Sunday morning (15th June), partly based on all the good reviews. We opted to sit outside, although the weather wasn't as good as it had been for the previous couple of days.

The menu is very varied for for whatever time of the day you want to eat. We all went for the breakfast rolls; half of us had sausage and caramalised onion and the rest going for bacon and tomato all on ciabatta and teas and coffees. The orders were taken by a very thorough young man, who was very courteous who smiled a lot! So far so good.

The breakfast rolls came and althought the sausage was tasty, it was a lone, solitary sausage in a ciabatta that was too big for it. This came with a salad garnish and a vignigrette dressing! Strange for breakfast? The piece de resistance was a marvellous hair on my sons plate. When the table was cleared and the said young man was told about the hair, he wasn't so smiley then and totally ignored this fact.

I wont be re-visiting as I don't feel that this venue offered value for money from what is really a tea shop. Sorry.

1  Thank PearlandDean
Cafe_Bar_York, Manager at Dyls, responded to this reviewResponded June 26, 2014

Hello. I am extremely disappointed that you were disappointed with the experience you had at Dyls. However i am very glad that you were greeted with a smile. If you look back at our previous reviews you will find that most of these include the fact we have very helpful friendly staff, something for which we pride ourselves on in our family orientated business.

In regards to the sandwich, i am very upset that you didn't enjoy your item from the brunch menu. We have only ever had positive comments for both the bacon & sausage sandwiches, some saying that they are the tastiest in York! We use two sausages per sandwich, locally sourced from our butcher literally down the road. I have no idea as to why you only received one, if this was the case then this is a mistake from our Kitchen and i can only apologise. I have now dealt with the matter accordingly so this never happens again.

As for the hair that was found on your plate. This has never been a problem at Dyls. We have a 5 star Hygiene rating and take a lot of pride in the cleanliness of our kitchen. All cooks wear hair protection, i have no idea how this happened & again i have done everything in my power to make sure this never happens in the future. We are very sorry about this, & just wished you had mentioned the matter when we first checked on your table.

I was actually working on the morning you have reviewed. You were served by one of our best members of staff, who unfortunately normally works on the bar, he is Italian and a fantastic Barista. He is currently learning English & i am positive that he didn't pick up the problem. Not because he was uninterested. I wasn't aware of the problem otherwise you would have been offered a Sandwich on us, plus the original wiped from your bill. We had been slightly shorted staffed that morning, normally we operate extremely smoothly & when a problem does occur (extremely rare) its dealt with efficiently and i personally make sure everyone walks away happy.

I would like to offer you a free voucher to come spend at Dyls too give us one more try. We are more than a basic tea room, we sometimes open until 11pm at nights in the summer, and serve delicious tapas, boutique beers, wines and specialty drinks. We even have live music & outdoor events.

Please send me a private message on here with your name, contact number & email address. I will personally get back to you shortly.

Kind regards, the manager.