“Loved a few beers and some cracking food in the sun by the river!”

Plonkers Wine and Beer Bar
Ranked #130 of 946 Restaurants in York
Cuisines: Thai, Pub, Wine Bar
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Plonkers is a family run business which has been in the same hands for over 20 years, we serve quality homemade food everyday 10am-9pm, we have a wide selection of beers, wines and spirits and offer a relaxed, welcoming atmosphere which can in turn be lively and upbeat in the evening.Open everyday 10am -2am
Reviewed May 19, 2013

Great service outside in the sun today, well done guys! Food was great, good value and even the sun was shining most of the time! Cakes looked great too ... Maybe next time.

Reviewed May 12, 2013

I have been a visitor to Plonkers for over 20 years and it hasn't changed much over all this time it has always been the best and friendliest bar in York serving the best food for a bar with something for everybody. Why do I keep coming back, well the owners haven't changed over 20 years and the service and the food remains the best you can get, long may it stay the same. We do occasionally sit on the riverside which is nice in good weather it is only spoiled by the stupidity of the York city council who insist on plastic glasses and plastic carafes for drinks, what they think we are going to do with glasses I don't know, every village square in France has manages to exist without plastic for years.

Reviewed May 8, 2013 via mobile

Me and my partner visited Plonkers bank holiday Sunday to have a meal and a drink..we have in previous years been regulars on their riverside in the summer (and also visit for drinks occasionally on nights out). We were happily greeted by a young waitress with 'back again?' and sure enough she had served us in the past. She chatted briefly and took our drinks order and on her way past the waiter informed him that we wanted a food menu. We ordered nachos with chilli and a steak sandwich. The restaurant was very busy but we were served in a normal amount of time for a v. busy bank holiday (about 25 minutes) and when the food arrived it was fantastic! The chunky home made chips are to die for and as I well remembered the chilli is brilliantly spicy! After our meal we stayed for a few more drinks and each busy member of staff made time for a for a friendly comment or two when they served us! A thoroughly enjoyable afternoon..we will definitely be riverside regulars again this summer!

2  Thank rosygardener
Reviewed May 7, 2013 via mobile

It was a lovely bank holiday Monday morning and I was looking forward to breakfast in the sun with my girlfriend.
We waited at the sign that said "please wait to be seated" for a minute or so whilst the waiter was distracted with something at his work station.
We were then told to sit where ever we wanted, the waiter then stood staring at us with a blank expression on his face and laughed uncomfortably before saying "what do you guys want", I responded with "maybe a menu for breakfast". After placing the order the tea came about ten minutes later, brought by a poor blonde girl who was struggling to carry the tray because of the weight, she pleaded with the waiter to help and he just laughed. Our full English breakfast came soon after and it cannot be faulted, the breakfast was lovely, the only problem was that my pot of tea was now cold and I hadn't had another pot offered to me by the distracted waiter, once again he was doing something in his workstation / drawers.
The waited then decided to have a conversation with a girl on the other side of the street, using the words "oh this weekends been awful and I can see today being the same" is not exactly best practice in front of customers.
I overheard the couple on the table next me getting served and they were also asked what they wanted without the menu, the gentleman asked for a menu, 5 minutes later the waiter asked are you ready to order, to which they responded that they didn't like anything on the menu and that they wanted breakfast. The waiter had gave them the lunch menu, it was only 10.15 in the morning, I was shocked. Surely giving people a menu as they sit down and a breakfast menu in the morning is using common sense.
The final bad observation I made was a couple a few tables away from me that were waiting for the bill tried to get up and leave as they were not presented with the bill, the waiter asked them for the amount he was owed, the gentleman made a joke saying "no I'm not going to pay you", the waiters response was "oh I had enough of that yesterday, 3 people were refusing to pay me"... After the service I witnessed I can see why.
I feel really guilty about giving a bad review of this place all because of this arrogant individual, but on this day he was the face of the company and it left a bad impression with me.

4  Thank Kevin4T
Reviewed May 7, 2013

We ate at this establishment at the tables by the river,we both had the steak sandwich after a long wait the food arrived flat cold so we sent it back the second attempt was no better still cold the waitress dumped the food on our table no apology just a grunt from her we the waited 5 minutes for cutlery I have to say other customers were complaining wrong drinks given missing food orders the management really need to look at this operation chaotic springs to mind we wont be back!

8  Thank yorkie58