“Sublime coffee from top barista in the world - literally”

Harlequin Coffee and Tea House
Ranked #11 of 67 Coffee & Tea in York
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Breakfast
Description: Recent winner of an all-GB coffee/espresso competition. Quiet, inexpensive, locally-popular -- great sandwiches, sweets, coffee
Reviewed October 31, 2013

I was really surprised to see that the barista that runs this hidden treasure upstairs off a main square in York was recently voted World Barista of the Year 2013 in the world championships in Nice - for his Irish Coffee.

Boy does he make sublime coffee - the best latte I have ever tasted - which is backed up by him winning 2011 best espresso in the UK. I never knew coffee tasted this good and apparently this is due to the fact he sources his own private bean supply and roasts and grinds them - thus controlling every part of the process.

I'm kicking myself that I've lived in York for so long without realising how good this place is.

1  Thank QXZWS

Reviewed October 17, 2013

Visit Harlequin regularly and I am never disappointed.
Excellent food and drinks choice - all fresh produce used.
The staff are always polite and friendly and the atmosphere is always great.
Upstairs in the Attic, they serve craft beers and ciders by the bottle are very reasonable prices.
Love this place.

Reviewed August 26, 2013

Friends took us here, we had no idea this little cosy café was hiding at King's Square. Coffee-based drinks were incredibly good (I had a cappuccino), and the cakes were fresh, tasty and we were given very generous portions. I will definitely be back. It's a great alternative to the touristy places like Bettys.

Reviewed August 5, 2013

We stumbled across Harlequin after an afternoon of wandering around the city and were very glad that we had. The staff were friendly, all four of us really enjoyed the cakes and the coffees and teas were great. It's a relaxing place to sit and look out of the window at what's going on in the square below.

Reviewed June 9, 2013 via mobile

The coffee was good and the room itself was pretty and quaint. The staff weren't particularly friendly though. I wouldn't rave about it.