“Poor value”

Dining options: Reservations
York, United Kingdom
“Poor value”
Reviewed December 7, 2013 via mobile

Lovely venue and location but over priced average food. Would not recommend. Struggled with group size. Steaks not cooked as asked.

Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“A real disappointment!”
Reviewed November 4, 2013

On planning a weekend to York, we decided to look for a smaller, privately owned hotel instead of one of the big chains. This establishments website describes it as a "Hotel and Restaurant" and the website made the rooms and the food look great! However when we arrived, we discovered that it's actually a restaurant with some rooms for rent, accessed through a separate stair on the main street. So there's no bar, reception area and no staff available should you need them outwith the restaurant opening times.

We were booked in for two nights and ate in the restaurant on the evening we arrived. The menu looked expensive but really talked up the food, so we thought we'd give it a go. However, the prawn cocktail was not transformed from ordinary to "superb" (as the menu described it) simply by putting a strawberry and some grapes in the salad that accompanied some prawns and what tasted like a shop-bought Marie rose sauce. Our steaks were fatty and both smothered in a huge amount of over-cooked and over seasoned sauce. We're also convinced that the "home made chips" were straight out the freezer. However, the best bit was when we ordered a £30 bottle of Rioja from the extensive wine list, only to be presented with an already opened, bog standard bottle that's readily available in any supermarket. On pointing out that this was not the wine advertised on the wine list, I was told that the menu was merely a guide and it just depended what the proprietor had picked up at the shops that day. Had I know this was what I'd get for my £30, I wouldn't have bothered!

Our double room was advertised on the website at £90 per night but we were charged £110. In fairness, the price was confirmed at the time of booking, but we decided to go with the flow. However, on arrival I was disappointed to find that the room was mediocre, the bathroom was very shabby and the towels grubby. On top of this, our nights sleep was interrupted by a fellow guest kicking open the locked door leading from the rooms to the main street - clearly he had lost his key and as there is no reception area or means of contacting the proprietor, I am assuming he saw this as his only option. Not only was this quite was this quite frightening, as he'd clearly been drinking, but it also left the all the rooms much less secure for the rest of the night.

Overall, don't be mis-led by the information on the website. We found this establishment over-priced, over rated and a real disappointment and I'm sorry to say that, next time, we'll stick to a larger chain of hotels :o(

Birmingham, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Please steer clear!”
Reviewed November 3, 2013

myself and family were visiting York for a weekend and after a recommendation from a family friend we thought we would give it a go. Unfortunately we didnt get as far as the food. We booked a table for 7pm, myself and a family member arrived and were seated awaiting the arrival of my disabled grandmother and family.

Unfortunately they were running slightly late due to a wait on a suitable taxi. We thought it best just to make the staff aware out of courtesy. Upon letting the waitress know, the chef (and also owner I assume) came out of the kitchen and greeted this news with a terrible attitude. He said that he booked us a time for a reason. And that we hadn't kept to it so tough luck.

It was more the attitude that he went on to deliver his rant with that made my jaw drop. At this time I was asked to leave because of my insolance. Needless to say we left rather shortly after. I must say that the two girls that originally seated us were polite, friendly and apologised to us on the way out. I thought that people like the gent that i spoke to only existed on Ramseys kitchen nightmares until last night!

Please steer clear of this place, the food might be great, unfortunately we didnt get that far. But from the look of previous reviews it isnt the only time that the 'voice from the kitchen' (as another reviwer put it) has ruined a meal.

1 Thank Ryan S
Carlisle, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Good fresh seafood but expensive”
Reviewed November 1, 2013

Food was fresh and well cooked. Vegetables freshly cooked, not a microwaved addition.
Service was ok, a bit on the slow side. One person cooking and one serving, so if the restaurant had been busy then things would have been very different.
Drinks choice was limited.
The meal was not as memorable as the bill and it left with a feeling of being slightly ripped off.
As a guide everything was 25% more than you would expect to pay in decent restaurant.
I would not return!

Over Stowey, United Kingdom
“Great service but awful food”
Reviewed September 19, 2013

The lady who served us was fantastic, lively and very attentive but the chef should be shot. Everything came with the same very odd sauce, which was supposed to be a thermador style, but had an odd yellow colour, a strange metalic taste and had prawns in it. This was served with the chicken, the steak and the seafood. It is a real shame as this could be a crackingly good restaurant in terms of location, service etc...just bad and expensive food !

• Visited September 2013