“FANTASTIC - Awesome food, fabulous service, a meal to remember”
Review of The Blind Swine - CLOSED

The Blind Swine
Cuisines: Contemporary
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Tasting menu by surprise, all dietary requirements can be catered for , advance booking essential
York, United Kingdom
“FANTASTIC - Awesome food, fabulous service, a meal to remember”
Reviewed July 25, 2013

Tried this place out last night having heard it was good, but didn't expect it to be quite so wonderful. From walking in we were warmly greeted and served immaculately by Sophia, front of house. Whilst there is no choice of menu, the variety, quirkiness, skill and taste of everything put before us was sublime. Some of the courses were also accompanied by gorgeous little cocktails which complimented the courses perfectly, the horseradish martini with the pork being one of my favourites. The beautiful offerings were served by the chefs themselves (no waiters here) and included beetroot and orange foam soup, served in a small milkbottle and eaten through a straw; Goth bread, Chocolate and Cep Mushroom desert, dover sole fillet with milk skin, foie gras "Feast" lollies, steak tartare with Wasabi cream, and a gorgeous melon and passion fruit palate cleanser. Everything was utterly delicious and well worth the money (£45 per person). All in all about nine small courses, with assorted cocktails, all explained by either the chef or the cocktail manager. Can't wait to go again.

“An experience”
Reviewed July 23, 2013 via mobile

I took my boyfriend here as a birthday surprise on 18th July . We had a 7:30 booking and on arrival were surprised to see we were the only ones there . We had a cocktail at the bar first , it was a little awkward as the music was very loud and the place was empty . The cocktail was delicious and the staff attentive . Throughout the meal varying members of staff served the dishes which were unusual , each dish was explained to us thoroughly . It was certainly an experience , my favourite was the pork belly , squid and pineapple concoction . The idea is fantastic however , I did feel that the dishes were not substantial enough and I left feeling unsatisfied and hungry . I'm not greedy ( I'm a size 8!!) however I do like my food , and for me , there needs to be one or two more dishes like the pork dish , something to get your teeth into !! Overall a great experience , but could be improved .

common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Absolutely phenomenal”
Reviewed July 18, 2013

I went to The Blind Swine tonight as a surprise for my 30th having wanted to go for food since they opened. It was everything I expected and more. The maítre d' was great, seating us with a cocktail menu and giving recommendations when I couldn't decide before taking us to our seat. She also attended to every need we had through the night without even realising it. The food started coming and was so well presented and delicious, the cocktails complimented perfectly and also delicious. To be served 7 dishes to equally high standard and to taste like they did was an achievement in itself (I did ask my husband if I could become a bigamist and marry the man that created the most beautiful pork belly, squid and pineapple dish), but to then also get cocktails thrown in and have the amazing service of every single member of staff in the building just topped it off. We stayed for cocktails after seeing as everyone was so friendly and could have stayed there all night! I love my food and to be able to go and eat with like minded people, who you can tell get a thrill from your excitement, is amazing. I wish The Blind Swine all the best in the future, great things will happen and I will definitely be back for round 2. Thank you for helping to make my birthday even more special than it already was.

1 Thank MamasGirl13
Bangkok, Thailand
“Didn't meet the hype”
Reviewed July 18, 2013

From beginning to end we felt as though we were gate crashing a private party. Food was ok. Sometimes it was trying too hard unlike the service which only became attentive when the bill was presented and then our waitress ran off to join the rest of the staff who were having their own good time so we had to wait for her to finish before we could pay and leave. No goodbye or thanks so maybe we aren't expected to return? A shame as we love the concept just not the attitude!

• Visited July 2013
“Definitely a truly amazing experience!”
Reviewed July 16, 2013

You have to try this restaurant at least once! Its a blind tasting menu.. so you need to be a little adventurous!.. as you do try eating some pretty funky stuff!!

Be prepared to be very drunk by the end of it!! There is small unusual cocktails along with the dishes, and the cocktail list features true old fashioned ones that are simply amazing.. and head spinning towards the end of the evening!!

We've been a few times now, as they do change the menu regularly.. and we've never been disappointed! It's just a brilliant night! Although the menu is a set price around £50, be prepared with extra drinks to pay around £75 - £100 a head.

They wont let you book a group of more than 6, they only have a limited number of tables, so it ends up being booked up for months.. so really do get the reservations sorted months before you want to visit.

The chef is amazing, so creative and really understands food combinations and flavours.. with the most extremely bizarre ingredients, that you would never have thought you'd eat.. but is actually very tasty!