“An experience”
Review of The Blind Swine - CLOSED

The Blind Swine
Cuisines: Contemporary
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Tasting menu by surprise, all dietary requirements can be catered for , advance booking essential
Reviewed July 23, 2013 via mobile

I took my boyfriend here as a birthday surprise on 18th July . We had a 7:30 booking and on arrival were surprised to see we were the only ones there . We had a cocktail at the bar first , it was a little awkward as the music was very loud and the place was empty . The cocktail was delicious and the staff attentive . Throughout the meal varying members of staff served the dishes which were unusual , each dish was explained to us thoroughly . It was certainly an experience , my favourite was the pork belly , squid and pineapple concoction . The idea is fantastic however , I did feel that the dishes were not substantial enough and I left feeling unsatisfied and hungry . I'm not greedy ( I'm a size 8!!) however I do like my food , and for me , there needs to be one or two more dishes like the pork dish , something to get your teeth into !! Overall a great experience , but could be improved .

Reviewed July 18, 2013

I went to The Blind Swine tonight as a surprise for my 30th having wanted to go for food since they opened. It was everything I expected and more. The maítre d' was great, seating us with a cocktail menu and giving recommendations when I couldn't decide before taking us to our seat. She also attended to every need we had through the night without even realising it. The food started coming and was so well presented and delicious, the cocktails complimented perfectly and also delicious. To be served 7 dishes to equally high standard and to taste like they did was an achievement in itself (I did ask my husband if I could become a bigamist and marry the man that created the most beautiful pork belly, squid and pineapple dish), but to then also get cocktails thrown in and have the amazing service of every single member of staff in the building just topped it off. We stayed for cocktails after seeing as everyone was so friendly and could have stayed there all night! I love my food and to be able to go and eat with like minded people, who you can tell get a thrill from your excitement, is amazing. I wish The Blind Swine all the best in the future, great things will happen and I will definitely be back for round 2. Thank you for helping to make my birthday even more special than it already was.

1  Thank MamasGirl13
Reviewed July 18, 2013

From beginning to end we felt as though we were gate crashing a private party. Food was ok. Sometimes it was trying too hard unlike the service which only became attentive when the bill was presented and then our waitress ran off to join the rest of the staff who were having their own good time so we had to wait for her to finish before we could pay and leave. No goodbye or thanks so maybe we aren't expected to return? A shame as we love the concept just not the attitude!

Reviewed July 16, 2013

You have to try this restaurant at least once! Its a blind tasting menu.. so you need to be a little adventurous!.. as you do try eating some pretty funky stuff!!

Be prepared to be very drunk by the end of it!! There is small unusual cocktails along with the dishes, and the cocktail list features true old fashioned ones that are simply amazing.. and head spinning towards the end of the evening!!

We've been a few times now, as they do change the menu regularly.. and we've never been disappointed! It's just a brilliant night! Although the menu is a set price around £50, be prepared with extra drinks to pay around £75 - £100 a head.

They wont let you book a group of more than 6, they only have a limited number of tables, so it ends up being booked up for months.. so really do get the reservations sorted months before you want to visit.

The chef is amazing, so creative and really understands food combinations and flavours.. with the most extremely bizarre ingredients, that you would never have thought you'd eat.. but is actually very tasty!

Reviewed July 16, 2013

After moving to York last year I was keen to visit this restaurant, and did so last week for my 30th Birthday. Unfortunately our meal was a bit of a disaster, for several reasons. Despite booking the table months in advance, and confirming the reservation the night before we arrived to be told the restaurant was overbooked and we no longer had a table! No phone call to let us know this, despite them having our number. We were offered the option of eating sat at the bar, or going to their new restaurant which was opening that evening (handy). They also offered a free bottle of champagne, and we decided after phoning round a few other places which were fully booked, to eat at the bar.

As soon as we sat down, they started bringing food. No menu, no explanation of the tasting menu concept- we didn't even know the price! I found this quite bizarre, and when I asked something was muttered about a tasting menu. Still to this day no idea how much it is. I don't know if the chefs usually serve the food, or if they were short of waitresses.

The food itself was OK, but I wasn't blown away. I liked the quirkiness of it e.g. drinks served in egg shells, but have had better food at J Bakers to be honest. It came to light during our meal that my mother in law had organised for a birthday card and bottle of wine to be on our table (if we'd had one), and this had been forgotten. To be fair, because of the mix up we were told the meal was on the house which was a nice gesture. I won't be rushing back to this place, but I think the experience would have been much better had we been sat at a table, with proper service. A real shame.