“Excellent Customer Care and good food too!”
Review of The Deramore Arms

The Deramore Arms
Ranked #340 of 916 Restaurants in York
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: The Deramore Arms is a historic pub in the York suburb of Heslington, close to the University and Science Park. We serve a wide range of real ales, craft beers and seasonal British food. We have a large carpark, beer garden and a microbrewery on the premises.
Reviewed June 17, 2013

We took a large group (31) which was really too big for their 'party' room at the rear of the Pub, but that was our fault and not theirs, as our numbers kept on rising! So, a bit of a squeeze!
We ordered in advance from a set menu, which was extensive and interesting. The service was fast and extremely efficient, with the staff knowing in advance who was sitting where.... very good pre-planning by Paul Gamble and staff. The kitchen did a marvellous job and, although some complained that the chips were 'too brown' - that was a minor niggle for such a well planned service! Those stuffed Field Mushrooms made me drool......
I would highly recommend this pub and, if you're interested in Gardens, then it's right next door to the Garden of George Smith - an internationally renowned Flower Arranger/Horticulturalist. Check it out!

Reviewed June 10, 2013 via mobile

Lunch menu has been changed and is now, in our opinion, limited and plain. However the home made soup is fantastic. The staff are excellent

Reviewed June 8, 2013 via mobile

Visited on Friday at end of lunchtime so place was fairly quiet but as I wanted to sit & chat with my daughter it was ideal.
Food nicely presented, good value & tasty. Service friendly.
Have been before during weekend & on weekday as it's so close to my daughter's student house. Will visit again on next visit to York.

Amy-J_ReevesRowley, Manager at The Deramore Arms, responded to this reviewResponded June 11, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to review us on Trip Advisor.

I'm glad to hear that you have enjoyed all of your visits to us. And since your daughter is so close, we look forward to more visits which I'm sure you will enjoy just as much!

Reviewed June 2, 2013

We took our son and daughter in law out for a lunch , well impressed, good choice including vegetarian, very polite , our waiter was Paul ,
thankyou we will be back

Thank you for your review of The Deramore Arms. I'm glad to hear that you enjoyed your meal with us!

Reviewed May 31, 2013

Four of us eat out regularly in the York area. I made the mistake of looking up a restaurant in TripAdvisor tonight. The Deramore Arms, Heslington was selected on the basis of a high ranking.
In reality it is a pub that is adequate and no more. It's strength is in the staff who are friendly and willing. The dining area is dark, the tables chipped and sticky and sound from conversations echoes harshly from the bare, flat surfaces. The menu is limited so we struggled to find anything to choose. Eventually we chose a chicken meal and belly pork. The meals were not well cooked. No better than adequate. It was claimed that they were freshly cooked but that certainly was not apparent.
Having eaten out in hundreds of different pubs and restaurants in Yorkshire I know that standards are very high. Visitors are amazed how good the food is. Unfortunately this pub is one of the rare failures we have experienced and certainly does not merit it's position in the hierarchy of York Pubs and Restaurants. TripAdvisor - !shame on you

1  Thank John H

I'm deeply sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your meal at The Deramore Arms. The atmosphere we try to create in the pub during the evening is one that is intimate; with dimmed lights, candles throughout the pub, and with a high calibre of service from our staff and food from our kitchen. I am saddened to hear that you did not enjoy the atmosphere, and that the food was not to the standards you expected after reading the other reviews of us on Trip Advisor.

We would like to invite you back for a complementary meal with us so that we can better show you the high standards of freshly prepared, local food that we serve. If you would prefer a brighter dining experience, I would suggest visiting us at lunch time instead of for an evening meal as we do not have the lights dimmed during lunch service. If you would like to return, please let me know via the pub's telephone number or email address listed on our Trip Advisor profile. I look forward to hearing from you and to your return visit.