“Great value for money”

and 1 more site!
Astley House
Ranked #181 of 195 York B&B and Inns
Reviewed April 17, 2013

My boyfriend and I stayed here at end end of March 2013 for one night. We paid £30 for a double en-suite room. I had arranged an early check in on booking (the reception is not open 24 hours but you can arrange a time to arrive and they will open half an hour before until half an hour after) but we got stuck in traffic and so had to telephone to say we would be late. This was no problem at all and they kept the reception open until we arrived. There was private parking behind the hotel which the man on reception directed us too and this was free of charge. The staff were friendly and helpful both on check in and check out. There is free wifi (code in reception) and a large TV in the room with freeview channels. The bed was one of the comfiest I have slept in and we had a really good nights sleep with no disturbances. The room was a little outdated and could perhaps have done with a lick of paint in places but it was clean and had loads of cupboard and drawer space for if you were staying longer. The hotel was also much closer to the centre of York than advertised - we walked along the river (not the most direct route) and it took us approx. 15 mins at a leisurely pace. The only downside to the room was that the ensuite was tiny but this was not a big problem for us. This is not a high quality 5* hotel but it is a clean friendly B&B in a great location and I would definitely stay there again.

Room Tip: Go for the cheaper loft rooms as you are usually upgraded to the more expensive four poster or famil...

Reviewed April 17, 2013

I booked a night in a 4 poster for my 5 yr old granddaughter and got exactly what I expected. The room was clean and the bed comfy. I was greeted on arrival by a what appeared to be the owner and he was friendly and helpful, as was his wife when I came downstairs on my way out after unpacking. All in all I thought it was value for money

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed April 17, 2013

Room was nice and airy. Staff were courteous and attentive. No food was provided but there were eplenty of nice restaurants within only a couple of hundred yards. Ideal central location and definitely worthy of consideration.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 17, 2013

We booked a room at the last minute and so got a great price, but we were a little bit apprehensive after reading the reviews on this site. We arrived early and we were treated with courtesy and helpfulness by Eric, who even upgraded us to a bigger room at no extra charge. There is a 5% surcharge if you choose to pay by card but if you pay by cash you don't pay this. The house was clean and tidy. The room was light and also cleaned to a good standard. I thought the house had a lovely quirkiness to it. We took our own towels, which doesn't seem a big deal. You get a key and door code on arrival and are given the freedom to come & go as you please, and left to alone to enjoy our break away, which suited us. We also got parking around the back, but there is also parking on the road opposite. We walked to and from York, which took us approximately 15 minutes each way. It is in a leafy part of York with a couple of parks near by. We would definitely stop here again. For value for money in a lovely park of York we cannot fault it.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 13, 2013 via mobile

This Guesthouse, in my opinion, isn't worth the money they charge.

The room was big and generally tidy however the bathroom has not been well maintained and the shower door doesn't actually cover the shower resulting on water covering the floor.

The toilet was quite hard to flush and does work but again a very dated suite.

The sunken blue sofa in the room looked very old and has definelty seen better days.

I wouldn't recommend this guest house to anyone.

• Stayed: April 2013
3  Thank RGale86
Reviewed April 3, 2013

I stayed at the place for two nights when I visited York with my wife over Easter. Since I planned this trip quite late, there were not many places left with available accommodation. Key points

- The reception is not open 24 hours. It is open till 7 pm which is not good if you plan to arrive late or need any help late in the evening.

- There is a surcharge of 4-8% for paying by card which is very inconvenient and annoying.

- The place is very dated with lot of creaking noise around the stairs and the room. The stairs going from second to third floor are too narrow which makes it very difficult to carry your bag.

- The room was very small with hardly any place to walk. Towels are not provided in the room though you can rent it by paying £1

- The whole place has this feeling of a ghost place.

- You don’t see any staff anytime of the day. When we left, we were just told over intercom to leave the keys on a table at the reception.

- The staff need some training with hospitality. It doesn't cost a penny to welcome the guests with a smile.

To be fair, card surcharge and towel rent is mentioned in the fine print when you book. It was the cheapest accommodation available when I was booking and hence I guess you get what you pay for. It is a very basic place not too far from the centre and you should consider this if you just want a place to spend a night, nothing more than that.

Room Tip: Avoid the rooms on the third (top) floor
1  Thank Anil_agarwal01
Reviewed March 31, 2013

Room described as Double En suite, this turned out to be a bunk bed and very rickety at that. Room very small, TV didn't work, but no one around to mention this to. Had to pay for towels or take own which have never known before neither known a charge being made for using a debit card for payment. Apart from when checking in saw no staff even on morning on leaving no staff about left keys on a hook. Paid £62.00 for room which sounds ok until you realise how far out it is £5.00 to centre each way also no breakfast included.

We are frequent visitors to York and and this was the worst accommodation we've ever stayed in

3  Thank Don F