I stayed at the place for two nights when I visited York with my wife over Easter. Since I planned this trip quite late, there were not many places left with available accommodation. Key points
- The reception is not open 24 hours. It is open till 7 pm which is not good if you plan to arrive late or need any help late in the evening.
- There is a surcharge of 4-8% for paying by card which is very inconvenient and annoying.
- The place is very dated with lot of creaking noise around the stairs and the room. The stairs going from second to third floor are too narrow which makes it very difficult to carry your bag.
- The room was very small with hardly any place to walk. Towels are not provided in the room though you can rent it by paying £1
- The whole place has this feeling of a ghost place.
- You don’t see any staff anytime of the day. When we left, we were just told over intercom to leave the keys on a table at the reception.
- The staff need some training with hospitality. It doesn't cost a penny to welcome the guests with a smile.
To be fair, card surcharge and towel rent is mentioned in the fine print when you book. It was the cheapest accommodation available when I was booking and hence I guess you get what you pay for. It is a very basic place not too far from the centre and you should consider this if you just want a place to spend a night, nothing more than that.
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, TripOnline SA and LateRooms so you can book your Astley House reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Astley House Hotel York