“Serves an Ace”

Ranked #191 of 935 Restaurants in York
Good for: Large groups
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed February 11, 2013

Had the best portioned burger meal I've had in the UK. The blue cheese in the Prairie burger could have been a bit stronger for my taste, but the burger pattie is huge on a great bun. Partner had curly fries and I had the wedges. Never had a choice of how well cooked my burger was to be. Friendly but unobtrusive staff and fast service for a sit down restaurant.

Reviewed February 10, 2013 via mobile

This place recently changed hands and has benefited from this. Better choice, and better value. Keep the tachos coming!!!!

Reviewed January 29, 2013

We ate here on a Saturday early evening. We're not local to the area, if we were then we would certainly go again.
We ordered nachos to share, then I ordered the chicken and prawn fajitas and my husband ordered the mexican sample, which was three enchiladas of differing flavours, plus a mammoth helping of rice, beans, coleslaw, which he couldn't finish!
The food was delicious, and the service was excellent.
All this food plus two alcoholic drinks came to only just over £30 (I think we were given a discount because we sat down before 6, which was a nice bonus), which to me is brilliant value.
I couldn't fault it.

Reviewed January 14, 2013

We go to York with friends every December and have visited this restaurant several times and always enjoyed both the ambience and the food. But our most recent experience there means that we've been put off and won't return. We booked a couple of weeks in advance for a table at 8pm and when we arrived there were no tables available upstairs in the main restaurant (until this point don't think we'd realised there even were tables downstairs). We were shown downstairs to a cold empty unwelcoming room with several tables - clearly an overspill area and way too near the toilets for my liking. None of us were keen to sit in such an unwelcoming atmosphere and we were told we'd have to wait at the bar for about 30 mins for a table upstairs, which we decided was worth the wait so we had a drink. About 40 mins later we did get a table and ordered our meal. We sat and sat and by about 9.20 when nothing had arrived we asked the waitress if it would be much longer. It was immediately obvious they'd forgotten us (although no-one admitted it - just lots of sudden running around). We got an apology and an offer of a drink on the house to compensate, so we went along with that. Some food eventually arrived around 9.40 and while 3 of us had very pleasant food, my husband who'd ordered a steak & chicken combo, said it smelled awful. We all smelled the steak, and unfortunately my husband had taken one small bite, and it was clear the steak was rotten. It smelled disgusting! The waitress at first tried to say it must be the sauce but quickly took it away saying they'd cook another one. The rest of us had to continue with our meals while my husband waited. It came back fairly quickly, with a fresh steak - but on the same plate with the same food which had been on the plate with the rotten steak! My husband ate a bit of it but he had been totally put off, especially when it was the same plate, and so he couldn't face much of it. We did complain and eventually got about 50% of the bill (which was not what it was all about of course) but the evening was ruined and, sadly, it put us off so much that we'd never go back. I always try to see the positive and realise that mistakes, such as forgetting about us, do happen, but it's difficult to forgive a restaurant which can serve food which is so clearly off!! Luckily he hadn't eaten more than a tiny bit and so wasn't ill, but it wasn't the fun evening we'd expected!

3  Thank Abol4
Reviewed December 30, 2012

The best veggie burger we've ever had. Simply delicious! The enchiladas were also superb. We used to come here before it was taken over and it was lovely then, but now its even better! Highly recommended :-)