“You must do this!”

Free Walking Tour York
Ranked #14 of 63 Tours in York
Reviewed July 23, 2013

You must take one of these free walking tours as soon as you arrive in York. I think there are about 3/4 a day in the summer. They start in Exhibition Square just in front of the Yorkshire Art Museum (currently closed). It is a brilliant way of introducing you to the city and taking you to places you may not have found by yourself. They take about 2 hours
Highly recommended

"british history"
"small group"
"museum gardens"

Reviewed June 19, 2013

My wife and I participated in this tour on our first night in York. Since it was summer we took advantage of the 18:45 tour time. This tour was an excellent historical overview of the city and its neighborhoods. We got to walk on the City Walls and down The Shambles. It gave us an excellent orientation of the city. Our guide was knowledgeable and did a good job of bringing the stories to light. The reason I rated this 4-stars was, because we participated in the 18:45 tour, many of the sites our guide would normally enter were locked. Therefore we had to return the next day and visit them. This is a great tour, well worth your time, but I would recommend earlier in the day.

Reviewed November 14, 2012

At least twice a day, a local volunteer guide takes a group from outside the Art Gallery on a two hour tour of York, describing the history and the architecture of the town. The guide we had was certainly proud of his town and provided an interesting and amusing insight into its history. Cannot recommend highly enough.

Reviewed October 23, 2012

The two hour tour brought the history of York to life through our passionate volunteer guide. Who knew you could understand so much of York's past just by examining its walls? I gained a far greater appreciation of this lovely place and it really made me open my eyes to things I wouldn't have noticed or thought much about if I hadn't been on this tour. Excellent!

1  Thank Rebekah H