“Extremely tasty food!!” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Ning - CLOSED

Ning
Cuisines: Malaysian, Asian, Thai
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol
York, United Kingdom
“Extremely tasty food!!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 15, 2013 via mobile

We have had a few takeaways from Ning previously and have been impressed but after eating in we were even more impressed! Food was hot, tasty and plentiful. Each course was an absolute delight. Surrounding were pleasant and staff courteous throughout. There was some evidence of the damage from the floods (some paint peeling off the lower walls in the hall to the ladies) but with food that tasty who cares! Will definitely be going back!

• Visited April 2013

york
“Reasonable Malasian Restaurant”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 13, 2013

I have walked past this restaurant a few times and thought that it looked pretty good. Some of the other Tripadvisor reviews haven't been too positive, but I thought that it would be good to try anyway.
The service was great, food was good, but not exceptional. The wine was inexpensive ( bottle of Shiraz £15). The total bill for food (2 starters 2 mains plus 2 rice) was £37 which I think is great value.
Overall I think that this is a good restaurant, I won't be rushing back as there are lots of other similar quality restaurants, but I will definitely go again. The early evening deal would be perfect for an informal meal.

• Visited April 2013
York, North Yorkshire
“Tasty Malaysian food, and good set lunch menus.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 29, 2013

My partner and I stopped here for lunch on a cold and snowy Saturday in March. The restaurant was empty when we arrived, though more people came in as we were eating. We we quickly seated at a table near a radiator - nice and warm. My partner was pleased to see that the tables for two included plenty of elbow room. Sometimes the space available can make you feel quite squeezed, but this was just right.

There was a good drinks menu with various options. My partner started with the green tea with roasted rice, which arrived in a little teapot, and I had the roasted coconut drink, which was coconut water with generous coconut shavings in it. Very tasty, though sometimes the shavings blocked up the straw. My partner also ordered an aloe vera and honey drink as well, which he also enjoyed.

We ordered a starter and a main each off the lunch menus. These are really good value. You can order off the A la Carte menu, or you go for a choice of two set lunches. Each of these comes with different starters and mains, and depending on the set menu you go for, will cost either £7.95, or £10,95. There's 4 starters and 5 mains to choose from on each menu. We went for the £7.95 menu.

I had the Gado Gado salad (warm vegetables and tofu with a homemade spicy peanut sauce), and my partner had the Masalodeh (Indian-inspired lentil fritters with a yoghurt dip) to start. I've had Gado Gado in various restaurants. This was a nice version. The peanut sauce wasn't too spicy, and there was a generous amount of it. My partner also enjoyed his fritters. For mains we both went for the Nonya Lime Curry. I had tofu with it, and my partner went for the seafood option, which included squid, mussels, prawns. The curry was served with rice, which was lovely and hot. It's tradtionally quite a wet curry which is nice, because it's not too greasy, and on a very cold day, it was lovely and warming. We both enjoyed the spicing of the dish - not too hot, and plenty of tumeric. Portion sizes were just right for lunch; not too big and yet we were pleasantly full after two courses.

Service was friendly, and the waiter checked we were happy with the meal. The cost came to around £22 for both of us, which included the drinks. I think that's a very reasonable price for lunch, and based on the quality of the food, I'd also be happy to eat there at dinner at some point. I'd also recommend the restaurant to friends. I come from South East Asia originally, and so this is the food I grew up with. I felt quite nostalgic eating it, which is a great sign of how accurate it is!

1 Thank sunsetcat
Kirk Hammerton , Nr Harrogate
“Thai restaurant in York N.Yorkshire”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 24, 2013

This is the first time we went to this establishment opposite Cliffords Tower in central York, We went at 6pm rather early for us (3 in party) The reception was correct, but not more, and we were shown a table near the door which was subject to a very cold draught. The starters were acceptable but unremarkable, the calamari was rather chewy. We had three separate main curry dishes one sweet and sour which was ok , one beef Kolia which was obviously micro waved and the meat was leathery and one chicken curry which was too hot ,excessive chili? The accompaning rice was luke warm. We should have complained but were in not in the mood.There must be a lot better Thai or Chinese restaurants in York . We would not return

• 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
itsaNingthing, Owner at Ning, responded to this review, April 30, 2013
I'm sorry to hear of your disappointment. Malaysian food (we are a Malaysian restaurant), although similar in some respects, is different to Thai and Chinese cuisine and for the most part we gain very positive feedback, much of which does not make it on to Trip Advisor but is left on our comment cards.

We are continuously improving our menus and adjusting our recipes to best fit most people's tastes - always tricky as the level of chilli for some is less acceptable to someone else. One thing I can assure you though, is that we NEVER microwave our curries as you suggest. Everything is freshly prepared to order by our team of chefs trained by our Executive Chef Norman Musa.

Do give us another try - our staff are always happy to give recommendations for your taste! We also have a fabulous new Malaysian High Tea menu on weekend afternoons. Andy
York
“Food great, Bar prices astronomical & portions minute.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 24, 2013

I visited this restaurant with my wife this evening as a social evening out. We found the service to be very good as was the general ambience of the place. The food was very flavoursome and well presented.

I found that the portions was way too small and was ready to eat a further main course after finishing my starter and first main course. I also found the bar price too be far too high £4.50/5.00 for a 330ml bottle of beer. £6.75 for a glass of wine.

This is not a place for a social evening with your partner more of a place to impress a would be lover that you can afford to eat and drink there. (Humour) but you get the point.

itsaNingthing, Owner at Ning, responded to this review, March 25, 2013
We are grateful for your feedback and glad you were impressed with our food. I'm sorry that you felt our prices are high; the bar prices you quote are actually for our more premium beer and wines; we do serve cheaper options and they are comparable with our Manchester branch and indeed other quality restaurants in the city. Our food prices, however, are actually LOWER than our Manchester branch so as to make Malaysian food, less well known in Yorkshire, more accessible and affordable to more local people. We also offer a great value 2-course deal most of the week, with savings of up to 25% but no compromise. I therefore hope you will consider visiting us again in the future.