“York itself is a beautiful city”
Review of Blossoms York

Blossoms York
Ranked #179 of 192 York B&B and Inns
Hong Kong
“York itself is a beautiful city”
Reviewed August 4, 2013

It took us quite some time to find the B&B, so I do suggest to call for directions.  Note that even with directions, the sign for the B &B is quite small.  Try looking for the Burton Stone Pub and turn into the street next to it to find the hotel's parking.  There is a car park, but make sure your car is not too big, as the entrance to the car park is quite small.  Parking is behind the hotel.
I booked an ensuite with four beds.  The room is spacious enough for the four, but the plan of where things are put are weird. The room also includes a shower and toilet.  The bad thing about the room is, especially if you have a lot luggage, that it is a few floors up.  The four beds are two singles and one bunk bed.  The problem I have with the beds are that they are squeaky and very soft.  If you like soft beds, it wouldn't be a problem.
The location of the hotel is convenient and a nice walk into the city centre.  It is around 15 minutes walk away from the city centre, it's nice for me, as I like walking and it is less busy to be away from the centre.
The hotel staff is great and very helpful, I would give them a 5 out of 5.  Also, there is a restaurant and bar that we didn't go to.  Free wifi is available, just ask for password.  I am satisfy with my stay mostly because of the service of the staff, the convenienctly quiet location with a nice bar next to it and the lovely streets of York in general.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (73)
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed July 19, 2013

My first impression of this place is that it has potential, but needs a definite refresh job. The (poorly chosen) white carpets are full of stains, there is dust in every corner (visible or not), the paint is falling off the walls. There are also 3 floors and no lift. The bathroom was really tiny, and the shower controls were kind of broken and difficult to use. The faucet was ancient, with separate hot and cold taps. The beds and linens were clean at least, and moderately comfortable.
The breakfast was pathetic. Nothing but toast with butter and/or jam and a couple of options for dry cereal.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank HotPinkBikini12

Travelers are raving about these York hotels

Chesterfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 15, 2013

We booked in for a one night stay with some good friends. We opted for the slightly larger en-suite rooms which are located at the back of the property which were Ok if a little tired, overall a good nights sleep though (for us anyway!).

There is a private car park situated at the rear of the building with good access to the hotel.

The staff were very helpful and nothing seemed to be too much trouble. We were told that as we had arrived early we could leave the car in the car park until check-in and again the following day we were able to leave the car in the car park until early evening even though check-out was in the morning.

Blossoms is superbly located within a 10-15 min walk from York City Centre and all it has to offer. It was great to leave the car and enjoy a glass or two of wine with our meals in York.

Overall an average stay but it really could do with an upgrade.

Leyburn, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 13, 2013

We were booked into Blossoms for the one night, cost £89 plus £7.50 per person if we wanted breakfast, when we arrived the word Horrified comes to mind! the reception/foyer area is run down, filthy, stuff peeling off the dirty walls, grubby carpets. I knew then we had made a terrible mistake. We were unable to see our room at this point due to check in not been available until 4pm. We went off to the races and came back to Blossoms at around 6pm, by this time I knew there was no way I could stay there, we made out feeling clear to the "manager" that for the money this was not the standard we expected, and to be fair to him he handled the situation very well, giving us the choice to view the room and if we still were unhappy he would waiver any cancellation fee and we could be on our way! I though it only fair to see the room just incase it was an improvement from the reception area. WELL it was probably worse, stained carpets, just awful. I would be nervous to let my dog sleep there. Needless to say we didn't stay the night a cut short our visit to York! My advice is DON'T, JUST DON'T!

2 Thank Lullabelle41
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 11, 2013

We stayed at this place for one night. We looked at their website, it looked OK and had parking. We had to ring the hotel on arrival because we couldn't raise anyone at reception. Coming in through the back entrance from the car park, there were weeds growing and cigarette stubs lying around, along with 3 empty cigarette packets. On entering our room, which was in the annexe, there was only one set of towels and no toilet paper. These were duly brought. However, the carpet in the room was heavily stained, as was the rug and the roller blind at the bedroom window. The breakfast room is in the basement and again the carpet looks stained, there were plastic table cloths and the breakfast looked as if it had been reheated. On going back upstairs, the stair carpet is worn and looked like it hadn't been vacuumed in weeks. the overall impression was grubby and the place needs a complete makeover. Especially carpets!

Room Tip: Don't stay here
1 Thank Susan31960
York, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 2, 2013

I live in York and recommended Blossoms, simply because it is near to my home. I didn't check Trip Advisor. Wish I had. My cousin came over from the States with her husband and stayed there coz no room with us. I feel so bad. When I met up with them they looked downcast and really low. The kettle was 'bogging' and they didn't want to make a cup of tea in it. They didn't feel welcomed by the staff there and said they felt the staff didn't really care at all. They said the carpet was dirty. It's such a beautiful building and this is such a disappointment. I managed to improve their experience of York that day, but they had to endure spending a night there. DO NOT BOOK. Cheap and nasty.

Room Tip: my cousin had a room at the back, which she said was lovely and quiet -- the B & B is on a busy...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank likes2nicehotels
Leeds
Reviewed June 24, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here as it was close to another hotel where our friend was getting married. The room was at the top of five flights of stairs, the carpet was filthy and the toilet seat was hanging off. When we left to go to the wedding there were cans and food cartons outside in the garden and on the door step that were still there the morning after. We went to the wedding and when we returned found the door open,and for men asking if they could share our room as they hadn't been booked in correctly. There was nobody on duty quieting anyone down or controlling the door. Would not stay again

• Stayed June 2013