Barrington House
$232
$141
  • Pool
York Marriott Hotel(York)(Great Value!)
$89
$79
  • Pool
$174
$136
  • Restaurant
Park Inn by Radisson York(York)(Great Value!)
$197
Hilton York(York)
$117
$98
  • Room Service
Holiday Inn Express York(York)(Great Value!)
$71
$59
$144
Official Site
See what travelers are saying:
Norwich, Norfolk
Reviewed November 23, 2005

Myself and my husband and my 2 sons aged 5 and 11 stayed at Barrington House with my husband's family including his 2 brothers and their families, his nephew and his wife and his 81 year old mother.
We had to let ourselves in to the B&B, first collecting the keys from the train station. Nobody greeted us and when the owners returned home after 10.30pm in the evening they treated us as though they were not expecting us and as if we were intruding in their private home. Unfortunately our visit to the beautiful city of York was marred by feeling completely unwelcome - everything we asked for was too much trouble - we were treated like naughty children. My children's Nanny was most upset by their attitude.
I have stayed at many B&Bs and have never been treated in this way anyweher else. I would never stay at Barrington House again and would not reccomend it to my friends.

Stayed: November 2005
4  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Buckinghamshire
Reviewed November 21, 2005

Just spent a wonderful weekend at York which was made even more enjoyable by a truly pleasant stay at Barrington House. On arrival my husband and I were greeted by Alan who showed us to a bright and airy room; the room, I understand, had just been decorated to a high standard indeed (as have many others). The facilities within the room are great and coffee and tea is plentiful. Excellent breakfast and hospitality was second to none. We will certainly be back.

2  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed November 13, 2005

We booked the Barrington House as a family group to enjoy the splendour of York. While the rooms are clean and tidy and the breakfast ok, we did not find Alan and Chris the friendliest of Yorkshire hosts. They were out on the Friday night and left the keys for us at the train station for us to let ourselves in and find our rooms. There is no communal area and with Alan and Chris out, we did not know where to go. We opted to sit in the breakfast room. This did not seem to please Alan and Chris when they returned from their regular "Friday night meal". There was no greeting and a look of shock as Chris looked through the door as if the room was filled with rowdy teenagers. There were in fact myself and my wife in our 30's, my father and uncles families and our 81 year old grandmother ! Alan sent us to bed at midnight and we returned the room to how we'd found it. We never saw Chris again apart from on the Sunday morning when she asked whose room was empty so she could clean it. Oh and dont lock yourself out of your room more than once as you will be told you'll have to sleep on the landing if you do it again! A bit of effort was made on Alan's part but overall I felt as if we were intruding in someones house and there were strict rules that should be adhered to. We have stayed in many B&B's and what you normally find is friendly over the top hosts who cannot do enough for you. This was not the case here and we would certainly not stay again.

• Stayed: November 2005
2  Thank Clagster
Reviewed October 16, 2005

I stayed for two nights here with my family. The room was just ok, in order to flush the toilet you needed to lift the top off the tank and manually do this each time. A little bit of a pain. The room was pleasant enough but a little dated and some remodeling was needed. The breakfast was strange, you can only go down from 8:30-9:30 which we found a little late because we wanted to get a start on the day earlier. You were reprimanded if you came down too early and sent back to your room, kind of like children. There is no waiting room or sitting room area to use, so you only have your room as an alternative. We won't be staying again, that's for sure!!!!

• Stayed: October 2005
1  Thank Paula58
A TripAdvisor Member
Coupar Angus Perthshire Scotland.
Reviewed March 31, 2004

Myself, my husband & our teenaged daughter visited York for the first time in may and stayed at Barrington House on advice of a family friend, i have to agree with them that it was superb,the rooms were spotless,well decorated and spacious. the breakfast was a lovely full English breakfast and plentyful.the owners were willing to assisst us with places to visit and where to eat. They were really brilliant before we left we were on first name terms with Alan & Kristina, We have stayed in many guest huoses in the past,but i have to say that Barrington House ranks amongst the best. thank you Alan & Kirstina we shall be back that i promise, i shall recommend Barrington House to all my friends and family,infact to anyone i hear going to your area.
thanks again a happy scots family.

4  Thank A TripAdvisor Member