“Simply a great place to stay”

Bishops Guest Accomodation
Ranked #10 of 192 York B&B and Inns
edinburgh 16
“Simply a great place to stay”
Reviewed February 9, 2011

The staff in this hotel are so welcoming. Deborah the owner could not have been more helpful. Bedrooms are a really decent size and everything is spotless. I had forgotten my toothbrush but there was one in the bathroom (hygienically wrapped) with a small tube of toothpaste which was a nice touch! Would definitely go back.

Could not fault this place. everything first class and the staff so welcoming.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (103)
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 30, 2011

We visit York twice a year on average and have stayed in various establishments, with varying standards. From our first few steps inside Bishops, it was clear we'd stumbled on a little gem. Decorated to a high standard, everywhere was clean, and furnished with a lot of care. We stayed in the Rose Suite on the 2nd floor, which was perfect for our needs. Perhaps the only quibble was that we'll book a room with a shower next time, as our suite had a bath with shower attachment on the taps. Both the owners, Deborah and Marco, and the staff were friendly and helpful. Breakfast very nice with a good choice. Will certainly stay at Bishops next time we visit York.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Sealy63
Manchester
Reviewed January 17, 2011

me and my husband visit York about 3 times a year and have stayed at numerous hotels but this one is the best by far. No problems parking the car when we arrrived at 19.00 friday evening greeted by very pleasant staff was then shown to our room. We stayed in the Park suit which was beautiful, large kingsize bed, beautifully decorated, flatscreen TV, bathrobes, big double shower, I did'nt want to go home !!! The breakfast in the morning was lovely lots of choice and served by friendly staff that could'nt do enough for you. I would say the only negative was that the hotel is on a busy road so quite noisy and its a good 15 min walk to the centre however it only cost us £4.50 in a taxi we will not esitate to return again looking forward to our return. I would fully recommend this hotel.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
Bradford, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 14, 2011

myself and my partner booked the Bishops for 2 nights over new years and from the initial phone call to checking out the service was exceptional, if anyone has left a negative review i fail to see how ......very personable people from the owners to the staff nothing was too much trouble for them we will be booking again for York races and strongly recommend you pay this lovely establishment a visit.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
nottingham
Reviewed December 7, 2010

The owners have tried to make this a upper class bed and breakfast which very nearly works! Like any establishment everything has to be just right to justify the 5*rating and this just fell short on minor details.The rooms were comfy but I wouldnt call them suites.just large bedrooms with a settee added.They make a show of using bodyshop products but if you use them they are not replaced.despite the fact they claim to have hot chocolate etc in the room we only had one sachet for two people over two nights.we had a small dressing table with hairdryer but no light or stool (and try asking a woman to dry her hair and put on make up whilst standing up).parking is limited so get there early.breakfast was good but only an hours setting(weekdays)and earlry checkout(10am)which doesnt leave much time to relax.but the thing that really let it down! We used a bath towel (twice)which my wife got some make up on and we left if on the floor to be replaced only to find it had been folded up and put back on the towel rail.I dont think asking for one towel to be changed over two days is excessive but maybe we are more fussy than some people.overall we enjoyed it but I felt it was overpriced b&b and would only recommend if you can get a good deal through hotels.com or similar.oh and the conservatory they talk about is smaller than mine and just big enough for 4 people whilst wine etc is available from a fridge with a honesty box! it would have been nice to have the choice of an evening meal especially when we got back one evening and the kitchen door was open whilst someone was cooking.The smell of food when you cant get any is a bit off putting.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
Stafford, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 3, 2010

This was our second visit and it did not disappoint - accommodation was spacious and very comfortable and spotlessly clean.
The breakfast was excellent especially the 'English' one!
would definitely come again !!

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with friends
Perth, Australia
Reviewed October 28, 2010

Just got back from 3 days in York with my girlfriend & we stopped at the Bishops & it was very good. It's only about 20 minutes walk into the City of York which was just about right and I could park my car on the carpark at the front of Bishops without having to pay for it which was a bonus. Upon arrival, we were greeted by friendly staff who showed us our room and if we had any problems then not to hessitate & also gave us a map of York and were was good to eat. We stopped in the Bishops Room (Room 3) & the room was basic but nice with the usual flat screen tv/ DVD, coffee facilties, decorated nicely etc. It was all very nice but found it a bit to expensive for what it was, we paid £270 for three nights with breakfast & was a bit annoyed when on the way into York we so a travelodge & Premier Inn and wish we had saved money and stopped there, the room would have been bigger. It was probobly more expensive because we went away in half-term week so the prices were put up a little as well.The breakfast was very nice with a good full English but on the only occassion I got a breakfast I didn't find the waitress very welcoming or helpful & I got my toast after I had finished my breakfast which was a bit annoying. On the final day I found out that the hotel had free Wi-Fi from a sign outside on the front, we never got told about this & had I known this earlier it would have been good. The room was also made up very nicely by the staff there & coffee tray was always restocked which was good. It maybe good for the owners to think about using the breakfast room as a restaurant at night because we found after a day sight seeing in the City & shopping we didn't really want to go back out the hotel for another 20 minute walk into York. Another annoying thing was that you could hear people in other rooms talking and the fire doors slamming shut when someone went out of it. All in all, nice place to stop, just a bit expensive and could have stayed in a Premier Inn, nearer to the Centre of York at cheaper the price.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple