All reviews honesty bar venetian room city centre overlooking the garden four poster bed fresh fruit salad on arrival breakfast was delicious yorkshire breakfast top floor minute walk full english busy road gave us a map recommend this guest house ensuite bathroom lovely guesthouse
Reviewed January 1, 2014

My girlfriend and I visited Bishops for 2 nights in November 2013. I had asked the hotel staff to assist in dressing our room whilst we went out on a trip as I wished to surprise her on our return and they were very happy to help. Fortunately my girlfriend (now fiancee) said yes and the surprise added to the event. We couldn't have received a better service by the staff at Bishops and I highly recommend them. We had a four poster room, which was a very good quality, as was the en-suite with large bath. We heard very little sound on our side of the hotel. Breakfast was also very good, I recommend the full English breakfast.

We look forwards to returning on an anniversary weekend.

Room tip: Definitely worth upgrading to a four poster room.
Date of stay: November 2013
  • Trip type: Traveled as a couple
1  Thank LP2291
sirokas, Owner at Bishops Guest Accomodation, responded to this reviewResponded February 19, 2014

Thank you for taking the time to review your special stay with us at Bishops, it was our pleasure to be able to set the scene for such an important weekend for you both Congratulations
Hopefully you will choose to return to Bishops for more your special times

Reviewed December 31, 2013

Stayed here for a long weekend.

The room was large and comfortable. As good, or better than some 5 star London hotels.

Breakfast was excellent, again, wouldn't be out of place in a 5 star hotel.

The crowning glory was the lovely owners who were very helpful and informative about York. Directed us to a fantastic Italian Deli off the beaten track which was great.

Date of stay: November 2013
  • Trip type: Traveled with friends
1  Thank PjLLLLLLLLLLLLLL
Reviewed December 21, 2013

We had a wonderful stay. I had booked this as a long weekend away for myself, hubby, son (aged 12) and my in laws for my father in laws 80th birthday. I had done a huge amount of research online before booking and you can always tell what a place is going to be like by the phone conversation when considering booking, hence I didn't hesitate to book - we were given all the details on the rooms as I specifically wanted a bath for my mum in law and there seems a distinct lack of a bath in bathrooms in b&bs, i'm guessing because of lack of space so re the comment about a lack of a bath from a reviewer a couple below this - just ask when booking and you will get what you want! We booked on the b & b basis direct with the owners - I understand you can book on a room only rate through a booking site hence making the cost the price without breakfast which again someone commented about - all I can say is just make sure with whatever place you go to exactly what you are booking and there wont be any disappointment!
ROOMS - If you book this place I can guarantee you will NOT be disappointed, we had the annexe room which is a double bedroom with a single bedroom off this which was absolutely perfect for us, my in laws had a 4 poster with a beautiful bathroom - my mum in law commented that she felt like royalty the room was so wonderful which is exactly what we wanted for this weekend away. I had emailed Debora as reading a review recently re the heating I was very worried, she had been very upset about the email as the heating is on from 0530 - 2330 and there are thermostat controls on all the radiators so you can have your room as hot as you want! - in fact we turned 1 radiator off and the other right down as it was beautifully toastie warm in both our room, my in laws room and throughout the building/breakfast room etc.. - absolutely no issue with the heating - if I had read that review I would not have booked and I'm so glad we booked before we read it as we would have missed out on a really wonderful place
BREAKFAST - beautiful quality locally sourced food, great selection - could not have been any better
HOSTS - the whole team were wonderful, right from the very first phone call they could not have been more helpful, I wanted a cake for my father in laws 80th birthday as we were going on the train and I wanted it to be a surprise I asked if they could possibly get one for me - Debora arranged it all and brought it in as arranged with the candles etc.. - the cake was one of the loveliest cakes ever - so beautiful and moist and they had written happy 80th on as requested - it was fantastic. I had emailed about a few things in between booking and getting there and they were all extremely helpful, you could honestly not hope to find a more lovely, welcoming and helpful team
LOCATION - no its not within the walls but I personally wouldn't necessarily want that as it can be very noisy at night in York and I like to escape! It was only an easy 10 min walk to Micklegate - yes its along roads but its honestly fine, it wasn't a problem - we did go on the bus the first day just to get our bearing as buses are frequent and its not an issue if you would rather catch a bus than walk - we tended to walk in and then catch the bus back at night which worked really well for us
YORK
WALLS -We walked the whole of the walls - about 3/4 of them going to the right as we got to Micklegate one day right around stopping off at points on the way - a great stop off was at CLIFFORDS TOWER where although you do have to pay to go in (English heritage) it is well worth it for the view - right across the whole city over to the minster etc... - there is no-where else to get a view like that - would hightly recommend you do this whilst in York. We did the other bot of wall the following day from Micklegate to the Minster - we didn't go in the minster itself which was a shame but with a price of £10 we felt that was way too steep for a Church to be charging so we didn't go in.
GHOST WALKS - there are a few - you just need to research which would suit you best, my husband did the original ghost walk which was most factual and historical which he preferred and then the following night he did the ghost creeper walk which was good but more theatrical so again you just need to research which type you prefer
FOOD - We went to the HOLE IN THE WALL on High Petergate and found this an excellent place to eat for what we wanted which was good quality pub food at a reasonable price - we couldn't have had a better choice and the food was excellent

To sum up - we had a great weekend, if you are looking for a bed and breakfast that goes a little further with lovely touches, lovely warm rooms, beautiful décor, a great breakfast and lovely hosts - your search is over! We don't manage to get away for many weekends but if we do every get a chance to go back to York we would 100% be going back to the Bishops!

Room tip: book direct and ask if you have any specific requirements ie bath, or room not on 3rd floor etc...
  • Trip type: Traveled with family
1  Thank kercol1
sirokas, Owner at Bishops Guest Accomodation, responded to this reviewResponded February 26, 2014

Thank you for taking the time to make such a detailed review of your family holiday with us. It was our pleasure to help with the birthday arrangements and thank you for sharing your cake with us!
Hopefully you will choose York as your destination and Bishops to stay for your next celebration!

Reviewed December 14, 2013

I have stayed at the Bishops on several occasions for both business and pleasure trips. The building is about a 15 minute walk into the centre of town past some historic parts of York. The accommodation is clean and spacious, set in an old victorian styled building, with lots of charm and authentic properties. The rooms are spotless in there presentation, you can tell they are well looked after and in great order. There is also FREE parking, which being at the centre of York is at it's premium due to parking restrictions in the town. I have stopped in most of the rooms in the hotel now and each one has it's own unique setting, spotlessly clean and well presented in really good decorative order, with on suite facilities - The minute you walk through the door, you are met with a warm welcome. The staff are second to none, you can tell they really care about YOU and are genuinely interested in helping you to have a great stay. The food at breakfast is amazing, all fresh, hand cooked to order, all bought locally, all prepared and served exactly how you request it. This is not the Hilton or the like, with their fake plastic rooms and rubber food, this is true full on 'bed and breakfast' at its best, delivered with passion and a warm welcome from probably the nicest people you will ever meet - Personally my favourite 'staying place' in the UK - As Tina Turner would say "simply the best"

• Trip type: Traveled on business
1  Thank Michael C
Reviewed December 10, 2013 via mobile

Our experience was a unique but it wasn't the end of the world. The b&b is a very nice semi detatched house on a busy road. It was easy to find and the walk to Mickle gate walls is about 15 -20 minutes. It's a dull walk and includes some miserable ugly bridges. The gentleman who met us was very nice and I feel a bit bad writing any negatives but I wish I'd known a few things.

We were two flights up and there is no lift. The landings were nicely decorated and the whole place had a lovely warm feel with lovely leather bound books and things. Shame it wasn't warn though. Our room was a good size but there was hardly ever any heating on (while we were in). There were space heaters, three I think but we didn't put them on and so getting up in the night was FREEZING.

First thing on the first morning we were disturbed by the nice man who showed us in. He wanted us to pack up all our stuff so he could fit a carpet in our room. We obliged but were not offered any good will gestures for the inconvenience. I get the impression they don't like spending money when you think about the heating being off and the way nobody replaced our complimentary hot chocolate or other bathroom bits and bobs.

I booked this for our anniversary and thought that we could have some nice relaxing baths - nope, five stars doesn't include a bath these days apparently and the water pressure in the shower was very low.

Also, I paid £249 for three nights and that didn't include breakfast. No breakfast in a b&b?! Ah well. I was asked if I'd like to pay an extra £60 for three breakfasts. I politely said no and walked away a little shocked and annoyed at the price and cheek.

My wife and I left early each day and got ourselves some mighty fine breakfasts in the town centre for about £6 each day. More selection and I used it as motivation to get out and explore.

I'd like to say I'd come back, and if the price was lower I would. It would be an absolutely lovely place to be at about half the price. I kept walking pastnicer hotels in the town centre and checking their prices. They definitely offered better value for money. Parking may have been more of an issue then though.

Date of stay: December 2013
Trip type: Traveled as a couple
3  Thank 413dannyh
sirokas, Owner at Bishops Guest Accomodation, responded to this reviewResponded February 18, 2014

Thank you for your review, I am sorry that you felt there were a couple of things you weren't happy with so hopefully I am able to explain these issues.
Firstly York has is one of the most beautiful and historical cities in the UK, we are lucky enough to have a mainline station but this does mean we have a couple of railway bridges one of which is between us and town, its not something I can change and it only takes 30 seconds to walk across it. We also have 3 stunning ancient bridges, Ouse, Lendal and Skeldergate on your journey into different sides of the city and a modern foot cycle bridge, our Millennium Bridge. You are correct, we do have two flights of stairs to the top rooms, both are beautifully wide and not steep, this house was built in early Victorian times and still has many period features; but lift, sorry no. I would suggest to anyone who has any problems with stairs that to make a booking through an online site isn't a good idea, however with a five minute phone call I could have reserved a ground or first floor room for you, I think this is also the problem with the breakfast cost. When this booking was made, the cheapest option was selected, 'Room Only', it means what it says on the tin. It works really well for guests who have come to York for a chilling out time and who don't want to be up too early in the mornings, why pay for something when you are sure you wont have it (when in Yorkshire!). We charge £10pp for our breakfast when booked later, which includes a full selection of unlimited juices (Usually 3 flavours), branded cereals, fruits and yoghurts, unlimited teas and coffees, toasts, traditional breakfast all locally sourced. Or a smoked fish breakfast or continental choice. We have an award for our breakfast produce and choice, and I know it is very good value. The well known hotel chain on the walk into the city charges £8.50 pp, yet its for a different thing.
We were having new carpets fitted in two rooms during your stay, when the fitters arrived they had brought the one for the room you were staying in as well. We did ask just after 10.30 am if you minded us fitting the carpet whilst you were out, we didn't ask you to leave the room early (still 2 other rooms to empty and re lay) and only asked that you put any personal items away. I apologise for not offering you anything by way of compensation, truly we didn't realise that we had inconvenienced you in the slightest, the room was immaculately put back together when you arrived back in the afternoon. Your suggestion is that the teas and coffees weren't replaced during your stay, no answer to that really. We refresh the tray and put clean crockery in the room every day, on one of the mornings I was helping and I did it myself!
The central heating is on from 5.45am, it usually goes off around 10.30 am and back on by 3pm and off at 11.30pm, we don't have the heating on through the night. If the weather is colder we manually forward the timer, we live here as well so are always aware of the situation. If you had expressed whilst you were here that you need heating through the night we would have given you an oil fired radiator for your personal use, as so few people like to sleep with heating on. I hope that my explanations have addressed some of the niggles you have raised.