“My great discovery in York”

Bishops Guest Accomodation
Ranked #6 of 194 York B&B and Inns
Reviewed April 30, 2013

The attention to detail was second to none; it’s the little touches that make your stay away from home pleasant, and there were plenty of those, I couldn’t recommend it highly enough. Marco and Deborah, 5 stars. Up the Palace !!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
sirokas, Owner at Bishops Guest Accomodation, responded to this reviewResponded May 2, 2013

Thank you for your lovely review, we hope you will choose to stay with us at Bishops on any future visits to York

Reviewed April 13, 2013

Lovely place to stay with very friendly owners and staff, who were all keen to ensure we knew how to get about in York and the best places to visit.
Room was lovely with very fresh bathroom (albeit a little on the small side), and the four poster bed was very comfortable and added a touch of elegance.
Breakfast was also very nice and freshly cooked to order, with a lovely buffet table of fruits, cereals etc to choose from.
Location is easy to find however it was a little bit further out of town than we expected (approx. 20 min walk into the centre of things, which was ok as the weather was fine but would not have been so great had it been wet).
Would stay again if we return to York.

Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 31, 2013

Have just got back from a lovely short breark at Bishops. We'd looked at some of the reviews and where impressed by the comments so decided to give it ago. The greeting was warm and friendly when we arrived, and they couldn't do enough for us, asking us if we'd visited York before, and offering points of interest to visit during our stay. The room was lovely. The breakfast was good, but I would like to see a bit more of a variety, as whilst my partner enjoys a full breakfast I'm not so keen. What would be really nice would have been a bowl of porridge with some fruit but I must stay that the girl serving during breakfast was very helpful. If your planning a visit to York then I would highly recommend this place.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
sirokas, Owner at Bishops Guest Accomodation, responded to this reviewResponded April 24, 2013

Thank you for all the lovely comments. We do serve porridge regularly, with honey for our health concious guests and treacle for the less so! We are always happy to adapt anything on our breakfast menu and try to meet most special dietary requirements so please always feel free to ask

Reviewed March 28, 2013

What a great weekend break! Not many hotels impress us but Bishops Hotel in York is spot on! Charming and helpful staff, really comfortable room with pleasant decor, all the shower stuff you need & fluffy towels. Off road parking, Breakfast was tops. 5 mins car, 10 mins bus into the fantastic city of York. Cracking example of how to do things properly.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank PaulSampson187054
Reviewed March 20, 2013

I stayed while on a weekend course and it was so good I have booked again.

The welcome could not have been more friendly, On hearing I was on a course I was asked if I knew how to get there and where to eat, and asked if I needed an earlier breakfast. Vanessa even brought me a jug of milk up for making tea instead of the little pots of milk.

My room (3) was a small double, very comfortable with all I needed, warm with a lovely view of the garden. I sleep with the window open and despite the road and the fact it was a weekend I had no noise at all (I live in a very rural area so am sensitive to town noise )

Breakfast was lovely, clearly freshly and very well cooked with proper coffee, rare in the most expensive of hotels these days, and the young waitress was a delight open friendly and efficient.

I have stayed in this area of York on a number of occasions in the past 6 months and can easily say this is the best one so far, it's so good I have booked it for the remainder of my visits and look forward to going back.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank foodie501
Reviewed March 18, 2013

We stayed at Bishops hotel a short while ago because it is rated at 5 star and being within walking distance of York center. We can confirm it is definitely 5 star and is beautiful luxury with terrific breakfast food. We loved Bishops so much that we modeled one of our bedrooms on the Bishops bedroom. The hotel is within easy walking distance to all of York,s many attractions and would return to this hotel without hesitation.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank brian h
Reviewed March 12, 2013

I had been hopefull after reading previous reviews and was looking forward to our 2 night stay. On arrival we were welcomed very warmly and giiven a very comprehensive list of sights to see which was greatly appreciated. We were then taken to our room but had problems with the doorlock which required a joiner which we sat pensively waiting for (we were given a complimentary drink but given the loss of our first 3 hours of our weekend was not really satisfactory). I had upgraded to a superior room however while it was acceptable I am not sure warrants the high review scores. The room was quite large however the bathroom was tiny. The sofa in the room was adequate however the bed was not particularly comfortable. Breakfast and service during such was very good. I feel that Bishops is a good base to explore the city however not the best if you are sharing valuabl time with your loved one.

Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you for taking time to review your stay with Bishops. My staff and I read all reviews as we are always looking for ways to improve on our service and we were all dissappointed that you didn't seem particluarly happy with your room. Unfortunately the lock problem was completely out of my control we were unable to offer you a different room as we were fully booked but informed you that a repair or replacement would be made. At 4.0pm on Friday we contacted our joiner who was here by 5.30 ( I was impressed by that as traffic alone on Friday teatime can take 30 mins across York). It took him about 30 minutes to complete the repair . We advised you that there was no problem if you wanted to go into the city, the repair would be completed by the time you returned, you informed us you may go out but hadn't decided. We were under the impressions that you were happy relaxing after your journey and to make this time more pleasant Vanessa offered you complimentary drinks of your choice. I don't feel we could have handled this one off issue any more professionally than we did. Bishops is a victorian villa and part of its charm is that no two rooms are the same in dimension or style, this does mean that some ensuites are bigger than others but the size of the room I would have imagined should have made up for this. The leather sofa is a two seater and is about 18 months old, there are no marks or scratches and is very comfortable. The majority of Bishops' mattresses are from York bedding, we buy quality semi orthopeadic mattresses, the one in this room is 3 years old and so again I was saddened by the uncomfortable comment as of course any bed other than 'the one at home' will always feel different. You did give us lots of positive feedback, great staff, lovely fresh breakfast lots of helpful information offered all of which we appreciate and yet you finish with not a great place to spend time with a loved one! I think this is the sentence we don't understand most of all, hopefully our other guests dont agree and thankfully that is why our returning guests numbers increase year on year