“What a jolly place”

Apple House Guest Accommodation
Ranked #6 of 192 York B&B and Inns
“What a jolly place”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 3, 2006

It is very warm and welcoming, lovely staff all very jolly - it must have been all that Christmas spirit! All the Xmas decorations were up which was an unexpected treat and the house is lovely and warm with much appreciated whisky in the lounge. Breakfast was superb with a good choice ranging from yogurts, croissants etc to the full works which were prompt and freshly cooked to order. We had great fun with the owner and her waitress, who recommended good places to eat and drink. Plunkets in Petergate is fab and worth the wait. Rooms were spotlessly clean and although we travelled by train, the car park is very large and private and you can walk everywhere in the city centre. We noticed a good selection of games and books for children and will definitely return with our grandchildren as it is very child friendly. All in all, it was faultless!

4 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (99)
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 16, 2005

I spent 3 days here in November while on business.
The b&b is a stone throw away from the rail station 10 mins walk if that and 20 mins brisk walk into the city. The room was adequate, warm and quiet to say you are on the main road but the buses stop right outside and start at dawn and run up to midnight.
The b&b is very informal and laid back Pam was a little over the top and kept you talking for ever, a simple hello how are you would have been suffice, but to be fair she was very knowledgable on the area (eating places etc).
The housekeeping was a little lax although my bed was made each day the bathroom wasnt cleaned or the room hoovered and dusted, which made me think what other thinks were being shortcutted.
Breakfast was ok but did take a while the first morning which made me pushed to get to my course, you need to allow 30 mins.
With these little niggles in mind if i came to York again i think i would probably pick somewhere else.

• Stayed November 2005, traveled on business
6 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 6, 2005

We stayed at The Apple House last month and will definitely be returning. It is cosy and inviting and very friendly. We had help with our luggage as our room was on the second floor with fab views over the railway which suited us as my husband is a rail enthusiast. It is a short walk in to the city and there is a great little pub next door which does the cheapest pint! and good food. Breakfast is delicious and plentiful and there is a nice lounge with complimentary whisky! The car park is huge and free which is a bonus as many places seem to charge to use the car park. We were even able to leave our car in the car park on our day of departure while we spent another day shopping. York is beautiful, nothing we didn't like and our accommodation was just what we wanted at half the price of some of the hotels which seem to get awful reviews.

• Stayed September 2005
2 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 4, 2005

Stayed here last month while at a conference at The Royal Yorke Hotel.
The rooms are clean, decorated pretty basically and the breakfast was good and cooked to order.
Within walking distance of station (so close in fact you could hear the trains during the night).
Would stay here again at a push but only if there wasnt anywhere a little more up market available.

Stayed September 2005
2 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 25, 2005

We stayed at the Apple House for the weekend and found it to be an excellent base to go and see York.There is a good private car park you can leave the car and forget about it over the weekend then walk into York center.We found the staff very friendly and contary to another report we have seen the land lady was very friendly and recomended some excellent places to eat in.My wife and I were with some frinds we had a bed room at the back of the property and they had one at the front we all found it quiet and had no problem sleeping.The breakfast was excelent the rooms clean and well decorated I would recomend this establishment to all and next time we are in York will definatly be staying there.
Dave Mather Derbyshire

• Stayed June 2005
3 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 22, 2005

We stayed in the Apple House having read the reviews on Trip Advisor. This is a fabulous B&B with lovely rooms and very tasty breakfasts! The owners are very friendly and make the stay very enjoyable with recomendations etc if you ask!
A short walk from the station and the city this was one of the best B&Bs we have ever stayed in!
This is a must if you're staying in York for pleasure or buisness. Very highly recomended.

• Stayed May 2005
1 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Mannheim,Germany
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 27, 2005

I just spent a few days in York. Because of the reviews I had read here I boooked a single in the Apple House. I was not disappointed. My room was spacious for a single and clean.A big plus was the adjustable heating, so I could set the temperature the way I like it, cool in the bedroom and warm in the bathroom. I could hear the trains passing by, but the noise was not very loud and didn't bother me at all.
A very good breakfast in the morning, a warm and friendly atmosphere all around, a free! whisky in the lounge in the evening, storage of my bags even after check-out - what more can anyone ask of a B&B?
I really enjoyed my stay there.

• Stayed March 2005